“What a surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The meals were a delight. The ingredients fresh and tasty. I suspect they're buying better quality.

We stumbled upon this place on their two for one night. Two mains for the price of one. We felt the mains were too good a value so paid them a bit more for the meals.

Great atmosphere and good honest food. If I could make a suggestion for the owner it would be to seat people out the front. When we looked in it looked empty with one table being used. When we went in he asked if we want to sit in the main room or side room. We chose the side room that was almost full. I suspect many more people would come in if they saw how many people were there.

Thanks for the great meals.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
Wellington New Zealand
“Ripped off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We ordered a wine which came in an open bottle and it was very definitely not the wine we ordered in the bottle - it had been decanted from chateau cardboard. We had come from a bar and had chosen the same wine. The difference was obvious and noticeable to the 6 people at our table. We would never go back there

Adelaide, Australia
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We went in had a drink looked at the menu, it was a rip and left unbe-known to us it was 2 for the price of one night - there were three if us, we offered to pay for a fourth person even though we were three and the management said no ..... we couldn't understand it, on closer look at the menu one wouldn't have paid full price for what was on offer anyway .... $26 for mince on a stick!!! I felt it much like a tourist trap there's south better on Cuba street

Visited April 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Generally disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went in a group and ordered a couple of anti pasta platters to start with and they were delicious. However, the mains were disappointing for the money charged. Most people had the same look-alike basic salad with their meals. I ordered salmon in filo and while it tasted of salmon, all I could see was a heap of spinach. There would have been very little salmon and spinach wasn't mentioned on the menu. I would have complained, but the person next to me had the same and seemed okay with it, so I didn't want to make a fuss. The service was okay, but they weren't interested in being friendly and didn't check if we liked our meals. We thought it was quite expensive for what we got, about $40 p.p. We've been here lots of times in the past, but we won't be returning.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Happened across this restaurant one Saturday night on a trip to Wellington. We were there early (about 6:30pm) and it was quiet but by the time we left an hour later it was very busy so I imagine booking would be advised.
The menu was extensive and as a vegetarian I was thrilled to see many tasty options to choose from. My meal was delicious and very generous in size and my husbands lamb dish equally so.

This is a place that we hope to return to on our next trip.

• Visited March 2013