“This Texan says: Yum!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hot! Like a Mexican!

Hot! Like a Mexican!
Cuisines: Mexican
Dunedin, New Zealand
“This Texan says: Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Over the last twenty years I've travelled all around NZ. Whenever I see a "Mexican" food restaurant I am impelled to try it. Usually, I never return. This one is different because this one is good. Really good! As I crunched into my taquito I wiped away a tear of joy. The mexican rice actually tasted like mexican rice. The pico de gallo was fresh and delicious. The guacamole was spot on. Quick and friendly service, too. I shall return!

Visited December 2013

42% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Remarkably average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The first thing I noticed was that they didn't have a liquor licence. My sister and I were the first diners there, but were stuck sitting in the less decorated area of the restaurant than people who came in after us. The waitress had a lot of trouble putting together a sentence, they didn't have any fish for the taco I ordered (and told me well after I ordered), food is overpriced and with small portions, the taste rather average and left me wanting. The pros? The lights were pretty. My advice? You're better off with a box of El Paso.

Wellington, New Zealand
“From bad to worse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Tonight I dined here with three others for my birthday.
We were welcomed on arrival and seated.
The first server was very friendly moved the heater closer which was appreciated.
The first disappointment of the evening was when we were told that the restaurant did not have a liquor licence at the moment, there goes my birthday marquerita.
Servers were good but I hate it when you are served by 4 different people in one sitting. It was not a busy night so it would have been nice to have the same server.
Staff were very keen to ask if we wanted to order something else, next time could I swallow what I'm eating first.
Asked for another plate to share a dessert and was met with a blank stare like they had never heard such a request.
Mexican establishment que Mexican music which makes Celine Dions song Titanic seem very out of place.
At the end of the evening we proceeded to walk out the door and nobody said goodbye or wished us a good night.
The food was very good but the service very lack lustre, the feeling is that the staff are going through the motions.
Instead of Hot Like a Mexican perhaps they should consider Dead like a Duck,

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Delicious food and amazing value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My partner and I were craving Mexican so made the journey out from Wellington to Lower Hutt. We weren't disappointed. We were warmly greeted on arrival and shown to our table. Our waitress advised us that a large group had just arrived and recommended we order reasonably quickly so we didn't have to wait. There was so much to choose from, even for someone intolerant to gluten. We ordered an two entrees, two tacos, two enchiladas and two margharitas and paid under $70. The food was delicious, authentic, and filling. The atmosphere was bright and friendly. Will defintely be returning.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wellington
“fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

absolutely the best mexican food i have ever had! i totally reccomend this place. i will certainly be back again. ps has recently changed name to "hot like a mexican" ... new management - i dont know what it was like before....