“Relaxed, contemporary bar” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Relaxed, contemporary bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Great, friendly bar. Excellent service and selection of wine and bar food.

Funky feel (love the chairs) without being stark. Easily to have some groups or just a couple of people.

Great bartender and staff. Able to recommend variety of options and suggestions and add value to food and wine choices.

Breads were delicious. Highly recommend the Manu Reisling.

Visited April 2012

New Zealand
“Pleasant place, nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We visited Capri for Saturday brunch. It’s conveniently located in the CBD, in an area where many cafes tend to close at the weekends, so it was a good option that particular day.

The brunch menu contained some fairly standard items, French toast, muesli, big breakfast etc, and some not so usual ones – fish of the day, corn fritters. I had the corn fritters which were tasty and full of corn. They came with crispy bacon, salsa and sour cream, and also rather oddly with commercial tomato sauce which I could have done without. My friend was satisfied with the big breakfast which includes eggs (fried, poached or scrambled), bacon, mushrooms, kransky and black pudding. The servings are large, although the prices are high which I guess comes with the central city location. Overall the meals were good, but nothing spectacular.

The service was excellent, with a cheerful and helpful waitress who appeared at appropriate moments. The ambience is pleasant, with unusual décor. The colours are vibrant and pretty, with some ornamental touches.

Not a place I’d make an effort to go to, but if I needed to meet with someone in that area, I’d be happy to suggest Capri as an option.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food, fun to talk to owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Dinner here was a hoot. Capri Bar, recommended by a friend from Sydney who often goes to
Wellington, is in the central business district, not far from Parliament and in a nest of high rise office buildings. We took a trolley bus over along Lambton Quay, they almost all go there, from the hotel and arrived spot on, to find only one other couple in the restaurant. The owner, Andy, explained later that no one really stays much in Wellington in January, the height of the summer vacation period, so not much clientele.

We had seen the menu earlier when we made the reservation, so I had decided on Venison Wellington as his main course. My husband listened to the fish of the day, a blue nose, the local grouper, and chose that. But we didn’t want a heavy appetizer, so we talked to Andy, who had the chef make two lovely lettuce, arugula and tomato salads for us to start. We decided it would be a pinot noir to go with the meal, so we chose a Margrain Martinborough Rivers Edge Pinot Noir 2009. What came was a 2008 and it was superb! Lovely bouquet, nice finish, good taste all the way around.

My venison was lovely, with a mound of roasted potatoes and my husband's grouper was a beautiful white tender meaty fish, full of flavor, topped with a nice slice of chorizo! We did not have dessert, instead spending a goodly time chatting with the owner. Obviously enjoys running his restaurant and knowing about food and wine. We got a good course that added to our knowledge of the various NZ wines. The country has quite a viticulture. Andy finds Gibbston pinot noirs from the South Island a favorite. We’ve never seen them in the US.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Saturday Brunch - very average”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have had lunch here a couple of time in 2011 and they have been reasonable experiences so thought we would try a brunch

Service - was alright except the hour wait as chef late in! This got us a second coffee each for free

Food - lateness would not of been a problem except the food was below average - my daughter and I had sweet corn fritters - they had very little sweet corn and were soggy - as though they had been cooked and then not served for half an hour - which could of been the case as we saw one of the cooks arriving with a small packet of commercial muesli for my wife's breakfast half an hour after we ordered - the fruit that went with the muesli had been tainted with onion - it would appear that the cook had not cleaned the knife or board between cutting the onion for the salsa for the fritters and the fruit

I suppose the above explains why we were the only people in the restaurant when other places on Featherston street seem to be 40 to 60% full!

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“First rate food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

This establishmen is a great place for a pleasant early dinner. The food is high quality, well presented, the menu interesting. The schweinhaxe (pork knuckle) was the best I've eaten outside Germany. Staff are very pleasant and helpful. Capri is in a central location, near many hotels and businesses. It can be a bit noisy later on at the end of the week, public holidays, when the bar is very lively.

• Visited August 2011