“Hit or Miss, Nothing Exceptional” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Paris, France
“Hit or Miss, Nothing Exceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

My partner and I started with the Gris Gris Wings and hush puppies, followed by the ribs and the Chicken Rochambeau, finishing with the peach cobbler and beignets. We also had a glass of wine each and one beer.

To start, I was disappointed with the beer selection. I was hoping for some nice American beer, but other than Budweiser (obviously not a "good" American beer), there was none. The wine we selected was decent. My partner loved the wings, but being an East Coast US native, I found the seasoning good but the way they were cooked below average; they tasted boiled. The hush puppies were difficult to eat as they were far too dry and their flavor in general was off. After the starters, I was pleasantly surprised by the ribs, some of the best I've tried in New Zealand. Unfortunately, the chicken dish was almost inedible and the oven baked ham portion of it looked like the slices of a pre-cooked ham you'd get from the grocery store. The dessert was tasty, average beignets and the cobbler was great, although different from what I am used to.

We had a voucher, if this was a full price meal, I would go back for the ribs and consider dessert but nothing else. The prices are not justified by the quality of food, it's not consistent, and the atmosphere is lacking. Nothing about it suggests New Orleans. That is fine, but it looks like they have just made over a Mediterranean restaurant, and didn't do a very good job at it. What they did add is tacky. Plus, with a theme like New Orleans, the music could have been more creative than just playing the "Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack. Service was fine; the waitstaff was very nice.

Overall, it gets points because this type of food is hard to find here and I would recommend a stop for the ribs and cobbler. However, if you are expecting good Cajun cuisine, this is not as good as the average food I've had in New Orleans and not even close to the value.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Loved this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Great food, awesome staff members and cool decor could you possibly want more

Wellington, New Zealand
“decent food, terrible booking organisation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We had a similar experience to catmac re booking. They'd changed their hours vs the voucher we'd bought (don't know if it was the same voucher, they were running 2 at once anyway!) so we could no longer go at lunchtime. The phone said "leave a message", so I did. Twice. Once during the lunch hours originally stated, then again after ringing a night or so before during their evening hours and never getting an answer. Note the phone recording stated they'd only get back to you if there was a problem, not to confirm. But my partner got sick so I went in as soon as they opened on the day my booking was for, and there was no booking made! Like catmac, the voucher was due to expire so we came to an agreement for the following night, late as hell, and only after I'd confirmed with them which voucher I'd had (and already paid for!) which made me feel like they were screening it to turn it down. The owner was full of excuses about being busy. I just don't think they checked their messages, even before they opened or after they shut.
We had read a review where the owner replied to critisism about the decor and said he'd spent $_____ on the interior, but nothing much had changed since it was Harem except a few americana things around the bar. The waiter we got seemed great, kept refilling our glasses with water at every chance until partway through the main when we were left to dehydrate. The food was mostly nice. My partner's steak was perfectly done. I'd been looking forward to my jambalaya, but I guess I got the last scoop of the night as I felt some of the ingredients were missing (had to search to identify chicken bits and the fat, juicy prawn didn't taste like it had been cooked in the dish)
Order the key lime pie!

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Pretty good cajun food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I was one of the first patrons of this restaurant after the site converted over from a place called Harem. It still has a bit of the old funky decor, but it gives the place a bit of character. The chef is actually from the New Orleans area and makes some pretty good food. I have enjoyed the jambalaya, gumbo, shrimp etouffee, and their take on a caesar salad. I do have to say though that I didn't care for their cheese burger or deviled eggs, so stick with the cajun stuff.

Wellington, New Zealand
“Good food in pleasant if not unusual surroundings!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We have been here twice and enjoyed it immensely. You have to go up a winding staircase, which is dark and eerily lit, however the restaurant is a bit brighter and the decor is very interesting! The food is nice, but if it says 'spicy' it really is spicy!! Overall a good atmosphere and fairly reasonable prices.

• Visited December 2011