“Outstanding Tour!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 70 Activities in Wellington
More attraction details
Owner description: Kiwi Coastal Tours. An Authentic Maori Cultural Experience. A trip with Gary and Kiwi Coastal Tours will not disappoint, from the start to the end you will be wanting more. An informal Maori mihi or greeting starts your experience, be prepared for a relaxing no rush journey around Wellington city, around the coast and along secluded beaches, take in the awesome scenic panoramas of Raukawa (Cook strait) and on a fine day views of the south island of New Zealand.Learn about the maori way of life pre-European to the present day,hear about the legends of the land and the way Maori used what nature provide for sustenance and as medicines.Safe off road sojourns are a special delight you will get to visit areas that even the locals rarely get to view, there is so much on offer with Gary and Kiwi Coastal Tours so bring a camera and a smile and Gary will throw in a cuppa tea or coffee at our designated rest area with toilet facilities and an awesome view. Be prepared for an enjoyable three (3) hours. Did I mention the wild animals ? I have a reliable vehicle that transports 5 (five) persons comfortably or 6 (six) at a push. I am a one man operation so you get me and only me. Looking forward to having you share this experience with me. Regards GARY KIEL
Kaneohe
15 attraction reviews
“Outstanding Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

There were 4 of us on the tour and Gary was on time at the dock with a warm smile. We had no idea that we would be off-roading for much of the tour and it was fabulous. He took us into the mountains for a spectacular view. We could see both sides of the island, and also got to see some wildlife. He was very careful, and we all felt we were in good hands. After seeing the beautiful vista, we headed down to the shoreline and he took us off-roading there, too. He pulled over to show us the marine life and we actually walked over the rocks to see abalone, limpets, and other sea creatures. Gary knew where they hid and turned over a huge rock filled with abalone. He took us to eat lunch at a restaurant with delicious fresh seafood. If you want a great adventure, and something different from the norm, this is definitely the tour to take. You will not be sorry for this choice. It was the best!

Visited March 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Aloha ki te whanau i te motu o Hawaii
What a great experience for me to have the pleasure of your company on my tour and to interact as we did was totally awesome for me and my wife.
I learned so much from our day together so thank you for that and the beautiful review.
My wife and I send our warmest greetings to you all and hope that the rest of your trip was filled with happiness and enjoyment.
I now dine regularly on nopihi.

Atlanta, Georgia
“The Best Tour in New Zealand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I and another couple went on this tour in March 2013. Gary arrived at our cruise ship before the prescribed time and we were off to a good start. We told him right away that two in our group were afraid of heights, and were tired of fast curves and cliffs. He told us that he always drove slowly and would make sure we felt safe. He then took us to some beautiful views, shared with us about Mauri culture and history and showed us a great time for 4 hours. While some of the ride was on off roads with nearby steep slopes he showed great caution and put us at (relative) ease. The sights and stories were incredible, making it our best tour in all of New Zealand.

Kia ora koutou
Thanks for the beautiful review of my tour and the day we spent together.
Ensuring the safety and comfort of my visitors is paramount while showing off a special part of New Zealand.
Getting to those little of the beaten track area's is what makes Kiwi Coastal very different to others.
So glad that you enjoyed the experience.
Wellington, New Zealand
9 attraction reviews
“The most beautiful place on earth.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you are looking for the most beautiful place on earth, try this tour! Just make sure you don't fall over any seals whilst your at it. The guide knows a lot about the area and can tell you everything you wanne know. His wife is very friendly and made an excellent lunch! I definitely enjoyed it, the Mauori knowledge and tradition the guide brought was definitely a good addition to the trip.

Visited March 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Kia ora and thank you for a great review of our time together.
I am especially glad that you enjoyed the cultural aspect of my tour as it is very important for me that all my guests get to know a little of our maori culture and history while they are here.
The scenery, animals and coastline ensure that my guests also get a real taste of New Zealand.

Texas
18 attraction reviews
“Wow - what a tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Wow, where to start here. Gary is a Maori descendant, very friendly and took us in his 4x4 to places even the other local guides could not go. He had special access to private land and a “bach” on a deserted beach. Upon meeting Gary, he gave us a traditional Maori greeting in his native language along with the traditional nose to nose greeting (awesome experience). We went off road to the “top of the top” for sweeping panoramas, to the quietest beach around. On one stop he even called out a huge red stag for us to feed with bread, this brought out two does and many ducks and geese that came by as well. Lunch was included at the “Bach Cafe”, managed by his wife and himself when not doing tours. Lunch was awesome, and his wife also gave us a traditional welcoming to her business. Gary left us with gifts he had made from items on the beach. Highly recommend and a must-do experience while in Wellington. I would give this 10 stars if possible.

Visited February 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Kia ora and Thanks
Many thanks for your kind words I am so pleased that you enjoyed my tour. I am enormously proud of my maori heritage and to receive the response that I have from people all over the world who also enjoy hearing about my history and culture is very humbling.
I hope that the rest of your trip was as enjoyable and you have returned home safely.
Nga mihi nui kia koutou.
Massachusetts
25 attraction reviews
“Number one on Trip Advisor for a Reason!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

After doing my research on Trip Advisor, I knew that when our cruise ship docked at Wellington I wanted to spent the day with Gary! Gary met us at the dock. We started our day with a few stops in Wellington. Gary has so much knowledge to share. He knows this area so intimately, and he is so willing to share his culture. Gary is of Maori descent. We were immediately immersed in his culture. When he greeted us with a customary ritual, we knew we were in for a special day.
Most tours probably follow the same path. Gary blazes his own trail! After we left the tour buses behind, we headed to the highest mountains . His 4 wheel drive vehicle took us to places that only a few people have been too.the views were beyond belief! The views and the experience of spending the day with Gary will remain in my mind and my heart whenever I remember my day in Wellington . Kia Ora, Gary

Visited February 2013
Garykiel123, Owner at Kiwi Coastal Tours, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Kia ora Jude.Barbara and Bev
An great big thank you for your wonderful review of our day together the weather , views, animals and the serenity of the coast is special to me and to have it to share with three wonderful ladies made it extra special.
So glad that you were able to capture our day on your camera's Jude and that you can show others the beauty of the South Coast
I hope the rest of your journey was as enjoyable.