“Another satisifed customer” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   25 Frederick Street | Te Aro, Wellington, New Zealand   |
Vancouver
“Another satisifed customer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I was headed to Wellington for a conference but went early so had to sort my own room for one night. I was traveling alone but really wanted a lower-priced option that wasn't a hostel or a dump - difficult considering it was the eve of the premiere of the hobbit. Searching Trip Advisor I came across Gourmet Stay and I was pleased to see they had one shared room with a bunk bed and a single bed that was reasonably priced. Since the rest of the rooms are hotel rooms I figured it would be much quieter than a shared room in a hostel - I was definitely correct on that. I almost didn't even see the other guests very often.

The owner already had one of the three beds booked so blocked off the third bed which I thought was very considerate. The room was well kept and the bed was very comfortable. They even let me check in early when I just wanted to drop off my bag before I went out into the city. All of the staff I interacted with were friendly and helpful. (Even when I was asking about a place that served pancakes for breakfast - they didn't have them at their onsite cafe and the girl was friendly in suggesting another place. I find often people aren't so keen to help when their answer will send you away from their business... so kudos to them for putting customer service first!)

Even the shared room had a flat screen TV in it. There was also a little table and chair as well. They provided a hairdryer and when I came back to the room before dinner it was lovely to find some fresh scones and makings for tea and coffee left for the guests. It's lovely to have the cafe space to sit in although I am sure the other rooms would be larger and more set up for you to spend time in them.

The bathroom on the ground floor which was shared by the 2 rooms on that floor was large and also well kept. A little shelf for toiletries would be helpful but truly if that's the only room for improvement I can suggest then they are doing a great job!

I look forward to coming back with my husband and actually booking one of their usual hotel rooms because I am sure they

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed at the Gourmet Stay on 24th September 2012 on a roadtrip North to South. A flying visit before catching the ferry early the next morning.

Mark was very welcoming and pointed us towards a place to eat and a number of nice bars. We were also very fortunate to be upgraded into Room 1: an en-suite room with a large terrace complete with hot-tub. Happy days!

The location was great. Only 5 mins walk to Courtenay Place which is full of restuarants, bars and the Embassy Theatre (of LOTR fame). Wellington itself was a really nice city. Wish we'd allowed ourselves more time to explore.

We left too early to sample breakfast. Somewhat disappointing as the cafe/deli looked like it would have served great food. (TIP: Apparently if you book directly with Gourmet Stay rather than through an agency breakfast is included).

In short, we had a great stay and would love to come back someday for a proper look around Wellington.

Lynsey & Paul (UK)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Tekapo, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Lovely, clean place, friendly owner, excellent coffee.. Very new, and excellent location: quiet street but right in the heart of Wellington, near Cuba St. The cafe has a yummy brunch menu there too - have to try it out next time! I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed here for just a couple of nights. The rooms are smart and clean and the location is very quiet. The hot drinks and scones left out for the guests were a nice touch. It is nice and small - you don't feel like one of hundreds stuffed in identical rooms. Chatty and helpful owners and staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at the gourmet stay with my mother and nana whilst visiting wellington for the world of wearable arts show (amazing by the way) it is a cute, boutiquey comfort hostel/inn which looks small on the outside but has about 9 rooms tucked away. Bit of a walk to the town centre but has some nice restaurants and boutique shops nearby (Cuba st). Cleaner was abut slow in cleaning room upon arrival although we requested early checking in which would be th only downside. Be warned, one or two rooms have an ensuite and the rest have communal bathrms. Perks include cafe downstairs (all organic and tasty produce) and after th cafe closed at 2pm, they would leave out a platter of leftovers for guests to eat :) nice owner who helps out. Some rooms have decks which is nice and beds r very comfy. Nice place to stay overall

• Stayed October 2012
New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

What a pleasant newly refurbished oasis in the centre of a city.convenient walk to waterfront or transport.
New decor of a high standard, very comfortable beds, shared bathroom facilities but with only three other rooms.Ensuite is available too.
Very helpful staff and owners.Cafe on site for breakfast.
I will come again.

Room Tip: If you like small and quiet this is the place for you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oamaru, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrived and were greeted by the cleaner- the owner (who we never met) was out and would be back in five minutes. We sat in the closed downstairs cafe and waited. Five minutes passed. The owner didn't show up. Eventually the cleaner escorted us to what he thought was our room and left us to it, where after we went out for lunch and came back upon which we met by a young man who gave us our keys, took our payment, and that was that. Was the young man the owner? I don't know. He didn't introduce himself nor make any effort to welcome us to the hotel. This was the common theme all weekend: not once did we meet the owners, and when we asked the cleaner (who we saw once more during our trip) if we could possibly have our beds made (after our first night's stay), he said we'd need to ask the owner. Of course, the owner was nowhere to be found.

The room itself was adequate- the bed was fine, the lighting perhaps a tad too florescent. More worryingly is what was happening outside the room and seeped into the room- twice we smelt very strong cigarette smoke. We eventually tracked the smoke down to a vent on the floor of the room.

All this left us feeling a little miffed. For the price we paid per night ($150), we expected a little more. We encountered no hospitality (and when you're booking into a 'boutique' hotel that's partially what you're paying for), the cigarette smoke was odious and the whole thing a let down, like something very important was missing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GourmetStay1, Owner at Gourmet Stay, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
We have researched the guests experience and apologised for the indifferent experience they had with us at Gourmet Stay.

An unfortunate series of incidents applied. My wife and I ( owners ) were away on a 7-day holiday and the acting manager had run an errand and inadvertently taken the keys. The guests had accidentally booked two rooms, one with their travel agent and one themselves. They were shown to the one of the rooms but were then taken to the other on the acting managers return, he had thought the Head housekeeper who had gone off shift had run them through the welcome items and therefore left the guests to themselves.

The smoke smell can only be unusual wind conditions and a guest smoking near the air intake vent, we have not had this issue before, however I appreciate that it is not pleasant and it is inexcusable.

I have contacted the guests and conveyed my apology. I have also offered them another night’s accommodation at no charge, on their next visit to Wellington. They will stay in Room 1 with the outdoor deck and spa pool, so that we can show them that there experience is not our usual.

We have amended our staff training and are confident that these issues will not occur again.
We where pleased that there was no issue with the room and it should be noted that the guest paid $125 per night and the second accidental booking was cancelled at no charge.

Been to Gourmet Stay? Share your experiences!