“Loved it!!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   25 Frederick Street | Te Aro, Wellington, New Zealand   |
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Loved it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

A fantastic little hotel in a central but tucked away spot. Not knowing Wellington particularly well, our our host was very helpful with restaurant suggestions (all of which were spot on) and with directions. We loved the ambiance of the hotel and the breakfast was delicious. The room was lovely and clean and tastefully decorated. Often I am cold overnight in hotel rooms but the bedding was excellent. The shared bathroom was luxurious and the towels fluffy. Excellent value for money. I will be recommending to friends.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
GourmetStay1, Owner at Gourmet Stay, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thanks for your review. Our aim is make your stay as special as possible. Its pleasing that you enjoyed the room and our assistance. Thanks a million.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

To begin I have to say, I did not read the wee blurb about the Hotel and was swayed by the quirky idea of this accommodation. So I did not realise that it was a shared amenities facility, however, i can say the facilities are clean and comfortable, the people were friendly and the food/coffee in the Deli was great! BUT, it is not really a place for business travellers, nor for people who do like to have things like tea/coffee in their room (and an ensuite).

On arrival - it was getting dark and whilst it was a friendly welcome, I was sort of left to it..and after eading the note in the room about where to get tea and coffee and the fact the cafe was closed - I ventured out into the dark to find something to eat, which as a lone female was quite scary as it is quiet and dark street. There was a brochure with a small map in the room, but I took a wrong turn and ended up in an even quieter darker street. I admit I could have rung the manager and asked, I could have taken the map with me - but a stranger in a strange town often doesn't make the best decisions. A clearer description/map or asking whether I had eaten when I checked in to give me some advice would have been a more hospitable approach.

The room (room 8) - was clean, the bed comfortable, and the room was quiet - until the spa pool's motor situated on the floor above me turned on at a volume that I would equate as someone talking very loudly. It did so 2 to 3 times an hour, which kinda negated the fact I couldn't hear any street noise. Being jolted awake, when I did manage to get some sleep throughout the night was not pleasant. I do not know what the other rooms would be like - I don't imagine they have spa pool above them - so I'm sure they would be fine - but I'd suggest you ask.

So in summary... I wouldn't have minded and would even recommend if the quirky detail of the website was reflected in the service and/faciltities. I.e. the small things in the room that fit with the story of the hotel, in the room, it coudl be any room - I could get a 3 1/2 star hotel room (with full amenities etc) for the same or less price than I paid ($125 a night), or alternatively I could have gone to a backpackers and got the same level of service/amenties for $50 less.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 8
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We have apologised for omitting to give more information on arrival, as it was late it is often easy to assume travellers have already dined.

We were pleased the room was clean and comfortable, as we pride ourselves on presentation. We were distressed to hear about the spa pool motor creating noise. We installed noise insulation to the Room 1 area during recent construction and we have a time control switch on the spa which ensures that the motor is turned off during the night, however after the comment we found the switch to be faulty. Our electrician has repaired the time clock and the problem has been eradicated. We apologised sincerely for the problem , trusting that the guest will understand the mechanical problem was unknown to management.

We have sent a separate apology to the guest and offered them a discount stay in one of our en suite rooms on there next visit to Wellington.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011 via mobile

An excellent accommodation option for those looking for tucked away but easily accessible place to stay.

We stayed during the rugby world cup and found the room and service to be far above expectation.

Easy walk to both Cuba street and Courtney place.

Fantastic hosts who even dropped us at the airport after the taxi failed to turn up.

And the coffee is right up there with the best as well.

• Stayed October 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I travel with business and I'm tired of dreary, unimaginative hotels. I visited GourmetStay last week, only for one night, unfortunately. The coffee and breakfast was FABULOUS! So good that I returned for lunch, which was equally as good. It's a really neat cafe in a city of great cafes. I will definately stay there on my business trips, delightful accommodation done with taste and consideration. Good luck to you. NZ needs to up its game with accommodation, and you've done that.

Room Tip: There's a range of rooms to suit your pocket. They're all good!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed at Gourmet Stay for a blissful 3 nights whilst in Wellington. It was by far the nicest place we have stayed at in New Zealand. The decor is clean and modern, with crisp sheets and a comfy bed. Our room had a lovely balcony and even a heated towel rail, the little touches make a big difference. Gourmet Stay was fully booked when we were there but you wouldnt have known, we had a peaceful, relaxing stay and the hosts are so friendly. We had a room with a shared bathroom, was always accessable, even managed to have a bath (really nice bath!) Internet access is also really strong and free - which was amazing not having to go to a cafe everytime we wanted to log on.

Recommend breakfast in the cafe downstairs, apart form the yummy smells that greet you when you come downstiars the poached eggs are perfect :-) Also best coffee in Wellington.

I was really rather sad to go, thanks for having us.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review, we appreciate your comments particularly in regard to the shared bathroom. The bath is always popular and the selection of bathrooms means there is no waiting even when we are full.
Glad you enjoyed the café food, everything is free range and selected from local quality producers.
Thanks again
auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We are a family of 4 visiting from overseas for a week, we decided to visit family/friends all over Welly and wanted to be central. Our 2 children under 5 loved waking early from their cute cosy bunk beds in our Gourmet room. They loved visiting downstairs GORMET STAY cafe that entrigued them with with fun/adventrous toys box for boys & girls, we thoroughly enjoyed their friendly personality and fantastic hospitilaty.We highly recommend this high end cosy apartment to all travellers, they offer all that you need with sleeping, eating & cleaning facilities. We appreciate thier lovely personalities which we will miss dearly , THANKS AGAIN GOURMET STAY team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.cheers from tom,kat,phoenix&farrah :-) Family from Auckland - Rarotonga/Cook Islands :-)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed at GOURMET STAY whilst down in Wellington for a spot of shopping and a friends birthday. Not really knowing anything about the place as it wasn't on trip-advisor yet (we found out it had only just opened) we saw a great deal on their website for one of the rooms and decided to give them a go. Well, we have to say, we are SO glad we did! The owners Mark and Lucy are such great hosts, so accommodating, you can tell their little boutique hotel is a labour of love for them. Our 8pm flight into Wellington was delayed, so we had a late check-in which was absolutely no problem for them at all. We were even lucky enough to be upgraded to a room with our own private deck and pre-heated spa. The room was well-appointed, modern, with a high ceiling, mounted wall-heater and huge comfy king-size bed. Small fridge, free, speedy wi-fi and flat screen digital tv. There was no kettle in the room but Mark was more than happy to make up a tray with a nice hot pot of tea for us. Then the next morning we had a delicious breakfast prepared by Lucy in the on-site cafe downstairs, which has already seemed to attract a few local regulars by the look of things. The coffee was superb, my mocha was velvety and hot (unlike Wellington at the time Brrrrr!!) Inner-city Wellington is a short walk away - maybe 5-10mins to Cuba St Mall, all the clothing stores, plenty of restaurants all around and a Warehouse directly down the end of the street should you need any travel accessories. I think they have smaller shared rooms too so would probably suit a group of friends, small family as well as couples but we definitely recommend anyone looking for short-stay accommodation in Wellington to stay here. We were just so spoilt and we know they'll really look after you too. One thing though... they still need a guestbook :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review (.. someone has to be first ) we appreciate your comments. We are awaiting local council approval to install a tea station on the first floor landing for guests, which will hopefully be installed shortly. We are always happy to take tea or coffee up when the cafe is closed.

It is pleasing you found the location central and right in the middle of the Wellington Gourmet District.
Thanks again

Been to Gourmet Stay? Share your experiences!