“Really good food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Really good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We went to the Larder for a birthday meal and we arrived at 6:30. They had whitebait on the menu. Now, I've eaten whitebait throughout my life and my mother used to make omelettes with whitebait and she is a very good cook. My wife and mother were with me for the meal. Mum pronounced, and I agree, that this as the best whitebait we have ever eaten. The combination of egg and a delicate sauce and the whitebait was exquisite.

The mains were also very good. I had a sort of fish medley which was very enjoyable and my wife had a red meat dish which was well executed. The range of dishes was quite restricted but what was provided was excellent. We had roasted artichokes as our side dish, which was a new experience

I'd recommend reading and checking the menu beforehand, but if you like the look of it, the food is excellent. Every bit as good as Martin Bosely or the White House for example and half the price. Service was also very good. The decor is pleasant, nothing outstanding. Portion sizes were just right - not particularly big but when everything is eaten it all works. The service was prompt and efficient - possibly because we had arrived slightly earlier - but at any rate we had no problems unlike some of the other reviews.

Very good value for money. They are well out of town in Miramar so you have to have a car or taxi to get there. Parking wasn't a problem. They take bookings at night and were easy to book. This was the nicest fine dining experience we have had for several years - even though the decor might not be fine dining, the food certainly was.

I've ended up giving it low ratings for special occasions because of the decor, but I feel this is unduly harsh. The cost for 3 of us, including wine, was about $260.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Birthday Celebration!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Great find.... lots of variety on the menu.... can have meals as shared plates, yummy sides too. Very busy on a Sunday lunch time... pot luck to get a table as you can't book.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wellington, New Zealand
“Delicious food, but slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My partner and I dined here last night and enjoyed the Wellington on a Plate menu.

We arrived at 7pm and this place was only about half full. By the time we left at 10pm this place was packed.

The service here was very pleasant and personable, but unfortunately incredibly slow. Our dinner was 4 courses from the set Wellington on a Plate menu and took 3 hours to serve. By the time we got to the last 2 courses I was very tired and not that hungry.

The food was delicious when it did arrive and it is obvious that the kitchen is of a high calibre. I would recommend dining here if you have a lot of time to spare. This place is also quite pricey, two Wellington on a Plate menus and one wine match cost $165.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellence!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Excellent food, superior service & atmosphere, we loved it! The chocolate brownie was the best I've had in a long time!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wellington, New Zealand
“Delicious and good place to Weta-spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The Larder is a fantastic café - delicious, fresh, unfussy, local food and a top NZ chef bringing it all together with superb style and integrity, in a great suburban location a few steps along the road from Weta Workshop in Camperdown Road Miramar. We were there for a very late lunch after a visit to Weta Cave and Studio Tour, and could feel the walls telling us the stories of the many creative meetings and conversations that happen there given the location, coffee, cabinet and menu fare. We have been there for dinner before, and for coffee, for breakfast and for lunch now and would recommend for all!

Visited August 2014