“LOTR Wellington tour” 5 of 5 stars

Adelaide, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“LOTR Wellington tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our enthusiastic tour guide, Randall, made this a wonderful voyage into Middle Earth. We took the all day tour which is great value and an excellent way to see Wellington in general. The tour includes a must see guided tour of Weta Workshops and a fabulous lunch at the most excellent Scorch-o-rama cafe. Randall was a mine of information as he lives and breathes Middle Earth. I'm sure he must spend his time off hanging out in Wellywood, ears pricked for any new gossip. He quickly made our 'fellowship' a group of friends and we had so much fun. Thank you, Randall!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“One of the best things I've done!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had a brilliant experience on this tour. My guide, Rendall, was really friendly, really fun and extremely knowledgeable. He went above and beyond my expectations. I went on the full day tour, and despite the rainy weather Rendall made the tour interesting and magical. I was very impressed by his passion and knowledge for the Lord of the Rings, and the amount of information he had was astounding! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Visited July 2013
Santa Cruz, California
“Excellent! My favorite experience in Wellington!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was totally blown away by how much fun I had on this tour. The full day tour is an absolute must if you are a lord of the rings fan. The time given to recreate scenes and take photos was a ton of fun. Lunch at the scorch was delicious and the afternoon snack was a lovely bonus. The Weta cave was AMAZING!! The tour inside gets you up close to some very valuable LOTR props and costumes as well as some from other blockbuster movies. On the full day tour i never felt rushed or bored. It even started raining at the end but i just grabbed a provided umbrella and we continued on the adventure.

Our tour guide, Rendall, made my experience on the tour and in Wellington an unforgettable one. His knowledge about LOTR was extensive and he d above and beyond in describing small details, quirks, and facts about the films that you would not be able to find in a book. Not only that but it really showed that he loves his job and the films by how excited he got throughout the tour. He was able to answer all of my questions (and then some!) and took the time to juggle everyone's cameras to take photos. I was very lucky to have Rendall as a tour guide and if you really want someone who knows his stuff request him!

This company and the tour was in no way a scam. Granted i did spend a pretty penny on 2 full day tour tickets but the sights, attention to detail, lunch, and friendly atmosphere never had me questioning my decision. I took this tour right after a severe storm had hit the area and some of the mess was still being cleaned up a week later. Even the pouring rain in Rivendell and Isengard couldnt break my spirits, nor my tour guide's.

If you truly want to nerd out for a day do this tour! It was so much fun!

Seaford, Delaware
15 attraction reviews
“A tour to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We actually had our tour in April 2012 on Easter Sunday. Nathan, our tour guide, was pleasant and personable. Being Easter Sunday, we had the tour to ourselves and Nathan took great strides to make it a memorable experience. The locations were worth the visit.

Visited April 2013
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“"New Half Day LotR tour" is a Scam”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was signed up for the half day Lord of the Rings Rover tour promising the following sites: Race to the Ferry, Rivendell, Gardens of Isengard, Great River Anduin, Fords of Isen, Minas Tirith, Helms Deep. I was very excited as these were some of the main places I wanted to see and it was much less expensive than the full day tour.

Granted it was very rainy on the day of my tour, when I got picked up I was told that we were not going to be seeing any of the sites I was promised. Instead we would be going and spending the entire morning at the Weta Cave. This was their "New Tour" they told me as they were just starting to revise what they were including and doing on the tours. It was not advertised that way online when I signed up. Not what I signed up for considering the weta cave is free and $20 for the tour we did.

THEN they wanted me to pay the extra $100 to upgrade to the full day tour which would go to the sites I was originally promised but did not get. Basically, they were trying to scam me out of more money when I had already paid to see what I hadn't seen.

Thankfully they refunded me (or say they are going to) my money since I complained about the false advertising.

If this is the new layout for their half day tour, IT IS CERTAINLY NOT WORTH IT and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. If you have the money sign up for the full day tour, however the half-day tour is nothing more than a scam.

Visited June 2013
slide65, Owner at Wellington Rover Tours, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
This is a completely unfair and totally unjustified review. We had just experienced the worst storm to hit Wellington in 60 years and access to the locations was restricted due to road closures. This client didn't receive the old OR the new half day tour which is why we offered a refund, as all we were able to do was visit the Weta Cave; which is all we will charge for. The new tour is most certainly NOT 'a scam' and I will be asking for this review to be removed as you are posting opinions on an experience you did not receive. I cannot believe you would post a review like this after we clearly explained the problem AND offered you a refund!