“Best chocolate mousse ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fresh NZ Seafood
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
“Best chocolate mousse ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

What more can I add to what's already been said? You don't go here for an intimate dinner -- more an "I wonder if I'll overhear something interesting from the next table" experience. The service is attentive without being obtrusive, and the food is simply superb. I thought my tuna sashimi and pan roasted gurnard (with an excellent squid ink risotto) couldn't be topped -- until the dessert arrived. Simply put, quite possibly the best chocolate mousse I have ever eaten. I'd recommend that anyone in Wellington find the opportunity for a meal here.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wellington, New Zealand
“Fantastic night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Everything about this place was great....the food, the atmosphere, the staff. We had three course meal are were not disappointed. The staff could not do enough for us. There was no pressure to rush at all, and we were able to enjoy lovely evening here. Easy to get to as walking distance from centre of town. The staff were knowledgeable on all the food and wine. We had the fish which you would expect to be fantastic considering it is a seafood restaurant, but we also had the steak which has got to be the best red meat I have had in a long time. So perfectly cooked. Would totally recommend this for night out.

• Visited August 2013
Jinan, China
“Amazing seafood, perfect service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Being classical meat-eaters, we had to persuade ourselves to go for seafood - and were rewarded with an amazing dinner. Every detail was just perfectly right, from an amazingly professional, friendly and knowledgeable waitress to the food.... well, the food... We just didn't know that fish can be this good. It is expensive, yes, but worth every last penny. Thanks so much for this experience!

Visited September 2013
Auckland
“Great little shack”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Everything about this place is wonderful. The atmosphere is laid back and funky, the staff are brilliant, and the food is perfect. I started with a kipper salad, as I had never had kippers before, and loved it. The groper I had for my main was so nice I wanted to go back again and have it the next night. We were a party of 8, and it was no problem for them to look after our increasingly bizarre requests for cocktails etc. Well done once again to the Ortega Fish Shack!

• Visited September 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I'd heard about this restaurant, but it was my first time here. It was packed, so just as well we'd booked. Considering how busy they were, the service was excellent. They were also knowledgeable on the dishes and the wine. The seafood was just gorgeous, as was the dessert. I would definitely revisit.

• Visited August 2013