“Fabulous winter menu” 5 of 5 stars

18 Majoribanks St | Mt Victoria, Wellington 3011, New Zealand
04 385 75 77
Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Driven by the good cheer of maxim "it's an empty house without our visitors!" and the plethora of the hosts's family heritages, Ambeli's cuisine is offering the true satisfaction of the Mediterranean from a new angle; supported by the winelist of owner Shaebodine Moleta whose passion for the service of dinner is boundless.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fabulous winter menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I was visiting friends in welly and on my last night in town we went to ambeli for dinner. Was totally impressed, it's the little things that make it stand out for me & set it above so many others. It's the complimentary hand made bread, the fact that the olives came warm, the olive oil is local & specfically selected, the fabulous knowledge & professionalism of the staff - on both their food & wine menu. The real stand out for me & something I will always remember was the gift from the kitchen, on a winter theme we were presented with a glass of mulled wine topped with duck liver foam. I wasn't expecting much, but WOW it was amazing, tottaly blew me away. Between the four of us we covered the venison, duck salad & the fish of the day. Lastly there was cheese & a chocolate dessert. Along with a bottle of syrah. We all throughly enjoyed our meals & I'd love to go back again. Even better we were able to use our entertainment gold cards for a mains discount. I wish more restaurants in Auckland did this! Totally recommend you visit this winter.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Excellent food and service, very quiet atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The food is fantastic and very original. Couldn't fault it. We were seated upstairs and although all the tables were occupied it was so quiet. Like having dinner in a doctor's waiting room. Nothing wrong with that if you like that sort of thing but if you're after a lively atmosphere (or if you have a loud voice) this is not the place for you.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Every thing and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Right from the start I new that the ambeli was going to turn the wet , windy and bleak day into some thing special .
The service was out of these world and the food playful and yet high quality and very well executed , we will come back at any chance we get

Wellington, New Zealand
“5 stars for a 5 star restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Took my girlfriend here for our first date and this really made it. The food was PHENOMENAL! Such great delicious tidbits. The waiters were very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and the accompanying wine. We enjoyed ourselves and helped that I didn't mind spending a lot of money. Om nom nom nom nom. Will come back to this place for a special occasion or if when I can save enough money!

• Visited November 2011
Wellington
“Worth every cent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

One of my favourite pleasures is going out to dinner, and after reading the amazing reviews I decided to make a big evening out of Ambeli on Queen's Birthday weekend with my boyfirend. I booked quite far ahead, and re-confirmed a couple days before - no problems and friendly correspondence from the staff. On arrival I found the ambience lovely and the staff were the right level of attentive. I picked a bottle of riesling (can't remember which) $70, tasted amazing. For food we had a plattern to start, and I had the duck and (shared with my partner) truffle-oil roasted potatoes. OMG, food was an explosion of deliciousness in my mouth, very highly recommended. A nice touch (especially considering the high price) was the amuse bouche, mulled wine, and cookie we were given as between-meal inclusions. Overall the experience was excellent, and despite the accolades and price, the restaurant isn't snobby or pretentious - great food, great service - if you're willing to spend a bit of money on a nice night out, then AMbeli is the place to go!

• Visited June 2012