“Best place to eat in Tauranga” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Best place to eat in Tauranga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a hidden gem...my favourite place to eat in Tauranga, inexpensive and understated but the food is always really good.

Visited September 2012

Tauranga
“A work in Progress”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

It has been a while since we visited Gold Mela and with new owners we thought that we should give it a try. It was a busy and cool Wednesday night. The interior has been tidied up but retains its French rustic character. Initial service was prompt but unfortunately there were a few glitches. Our wine order was overlooked and no table napkins were present. However, the food was worth the wait. My wife's Avocado Cocktail was generous and my escargot had a wonderful garlic and butter flavour. My wife had the Poulet Milanaisse which was slightly overcooked but the accompanying pasta had a great flavour. The lamb rack was well presented and accompanied by excellent vegetables and a tasty jus. The flacid lettuce seemed a little unnecessary. The servers and the owner are all friendly and helpful. So overall it was a good start but as the owner said "It is a work in Progress".

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A group of 10 of us visited this great little restaurant and were all very impressed with the quality and quantity of the food....the mains were very generous. We all agreed that we would be back. The service was excellent and the new owner very friendly without being in your face! The atmosphere is quite quaint. My only query would be one of identity.....the name sounds Asian and the menu seems more European than just French. Maybe some careful rebranding would cause less confusion. Meanwhile we will spread the word that this is a fabulous, intimate place in which to dine!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tauranga, New Zealand
“3 words. The whole package.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Gold Mela is officially my new favourite place to dine. I loved the setting and the atmosphere, all the cute little nick nacks around the place and the adorable kitty give it a very cosy intimate feel. The staff were friendly and very accommodating (I’m ridiculously fussy). The wine list is quite obviously a work in progress, but even so it was very refreshing to see something not dominated by distributor contracts. I HATE seeing the same wine list all over town. The menu caters for everyone, and the food. Oh my god the food. My steak, ordered blue, was cooked perfectly. The blue cheese sauce was absolutely mouth watering. My date had the lamb rack which was succulent with a gorgeous red wine jus drizzled over it. On another important note, the portion size perfect, not too small not too big, and the prices very reasonable. Why go into town and pay $30 for a steak at the pub when you can have an infinitely better dining experience here for the same price? Unfortunately I chose to have wine for dessert so I am unable to comment on the desserts, but overall this place just does it for me. 3 words. The whole package. Can’t wait to come back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Mostly Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was the first time for us dining at Gold Mela. Lovely ambience. Tasty food of reasonable price. Menu seemed to be more Italian than French so was slightly confused in that regard being a French Restaurant. Had a lovely French wine for $37. All their wines were reasonably priced. The pate entree and lamb rack mains were the pick of what we had. Lovely. The only thing not up to standard from our group of 9 was the Nicoise Salad, missing ingredients. Someone elses review stated "home style food" which does sum it up. Not fine dining presentation but generous portions and beautiful flavours. Yum.

• Visited April 2013