“Cool” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 109 Restaurants in Taupo
Cuisines: Contemporary, Gastropub, New Zealand
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Located one block from the lake, Plateau Restaurant & Bar in Lake Taupo is an award-winning New Zealand meeting place that serves the finest craft beers and kiwi inspired food. Since 2003, it has been nationally recognized by Hanz for its excellence in lamb and beef and celebrated by locals and tourists alike as showcasing the best of New Zealand wining and dining.
Livermore, California
“Cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

What a cool place, we went here on the suggestion of Richard and Lyn from Richlyn Homestay. Glad we did, when we walked in they were having a retro 80's ski party. what a fun idea. The waiter and waitress were all dressed for the party. The food was really good along with the service.

Visited July 2013

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“extremely disappointed in customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

we came down from Auckland for a small trip. As this is a award winning restaurant we place this restaurant as our first choice in Taupo. We ordered both entrees and mains. All the puree and sauce is perfectly done (very good techiques). The texture of mash photato is the best that I have ever had. Presestations are good. Flavours are well balanced. My entree - beef 'mignon' is absolutely beautiful. My friends also give high recommendations to the lamp rump.

Cutlery is well set (line to line as I can see). Good table settings. Good workflow (even when dealing with our complains). Juniors are well trained. A young waitress always serves us with smile and polite manner. But that's not the whole story...

My friend ordered a eye fillet. She was not happy with the doneness and she thought it was overcooked (She used the steak knife to cut for a long time and I try to cut as well, but both of us find it's very difficult to cut). It was ok in the middle but the edge was tough (I ate a piece of it as well). Then a senior server came and explained how this eye fillet was done in the oven. While his attitude was very rude and vey arrogant. we were asked "Do you know how to cook?" “Do you know how many awards we have won?” and another saying for their meals is "our dishes are perfect!"

As customers, we strongly felt that we were offended. We were disrespected and this restaurant does not want our businesses.

As a hospitality professional, I feel sorry for the way that he handle our complains. I also feel sorry for myself because I expected to learn something good from their " execellent service"- as it was commented online. But now all i have got in my mind is I will never treat my customers like that.

I am not a chef, I admit that I don't know much about cooking. But as long as we walk into the restaurant, we are your customers, we are not paying money for anger.

Anyways, my friend got a new dish at the end. It make us slightly feel better. But this bad experience does bring lots of negative emotions to us.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Service was great from the start, drinks were topped up instantly, my cc and drys kept coming which is great not having to ask for new drinks, meal was out standing I had the hapuka partner had steak well done, meal appearance was great at tasted even better

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Over the Moon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Have just come back from an amazing weekend away down in Taupo. My partner and myself really enjoy a fine dining experience, and i can tell you now, Plateau did not disappoint at all, I rate this Restaurant a strong 10/10. We arrived with no reservation and were greet with a big smile from a Gentleman who promptly found us a table for two with no hesitation at all, the atmosphere was lovely, the lighting was great, and the tone of the music was perfect. This had already set the mood for a fantastic evening. We had water bought to our Table, and the waitresses were polite and extremely friendly and explained the menu to us well. We both started off with Starters, my Partner had the Garlic Bread, and she was very pleased. I had the Pan seared Scallops, and i have to say that it was the Best Scallop meal that i have ever tasted, 10/10 to the Chef!!! Our mains were excellent, I had the Braised Pork Belly, it was to die for, cooked to perfection, the Pork was melt in your mouth. My partner enjoyed a fantastic Chicken with Pasta dish, which she enjoyed immensely... Overall, Plateau Restaurant in Taupo, is by far the best dining experience that we have encountered, I would totally recommend that if you are visiting Taupo, that you add Plateau Restaurant to your list for a superb dining experience. A huge thank you to the staff off Plateau Restaurant Taupo, for a fantastic dining experience that we will always remember, looking forward to dining there again soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland, New Zealand
“Amazing food and service in Taupo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This award winning restaurant really delivers. The food is great value for money and generous. The chicken breast is to die for and the Hawkes bay lamb melts in the mouth. We had desert by the open fire place which was perfect considering the weather outside. Although they were extremely busy we were never made to feel forgotten about or lost. Well done Plateau you staff are a tremendous assett. Keep it up

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere