“Great escape for the weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Taupo
Wanganui, New Zealand
“Great escape for the weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We managed to escape the children for a rare weekend away, and decided to stay at the Hilton in Taupo. Despite a slightly "backpacker-ish" feel when I first arrived (and no one available at reception to greet me), when we actually checked in slightly later in the day, all went smoothly.

The room was lovely, and the pool and gym facilites excellent.

Didn't dine in, but had pre-dinner drinks in the bar - again, great service etc.

I did wonder whether there are different "grades" of Hilton, as this one seemed slightly more "relaxed" I guess, and less of a luxury hotel. Just an observation. All in all though, a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Rackil,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Lake Taupo. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend away from the children with us in Taupo.

As we are located in a leisure/resort destination we do have a fairly friendly and relaxed team however at the same time strive to offer the best service and accommodations in the region.

I hope that we will see you again soon for another memorable weekend in Taupo.

Clinton Farley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Having stayed there twice in two months and both times no complaints nor faults. Service excellent and the rooms up to scratch with the Hilton brand. Have no problems in recommending for business or family travel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear scottyAuckland,

I appreciate you taking the time to share on TripAdvisor, it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your recent stays with us.

Due to the usernames on TripAdvisor I am not able to check if you are already a Hilton Hhonors member however due to your potential regular trips to Taupo may I encourage you to join so that we may recognise you for this and take note of any special requests or preferences you may have when staying with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again shortly.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Spent 3 nights here recently as a HHonors Gold. Loyalty acknowledgement much appreciated at check-in. Victoria was most polite and hospitable. Received an upgrade to a King Junior Suite, which was much appreciated. Eventhough we had no view of the lake, we were located on the top (4th) floor that overlooked the beautiful pool/fitness centre complex with a bush backdrop. In the early hours of the morning, the steam from the stream leading to the next door's DeBrett's Hot Spring Spa creates a stunning, mystical picture.

The property appeared very well kept. We parked our cars opposite the frontage of the building in an unmarked, empty space. A small hike from the hotel, but saved $15 per day. The weather happened to be perfect, so we had no issues with wet grounds, although it is not litted apart from surrounding lights from the hotel and the street. We did not feel unsafe, yet I feel like it would not be hard to paved the grounds and present the space better with designated parking spaces as well as some lights at night.

Bathroom was relatively small compared with the space of the room and living area in the suite. One may expect a bathtub in a suite, which was unavailable. When later asked reception staff about baths, they reported that some rooms and suites feature a bath, whilst others do not. Linen and beddings were top-quality along with a nice slumber sleep experienced. Turndown service provided every night with chocolates and water.

We had breakfast every morning in Bistro Lago, which was reported to be independently managed from the Hilton. Food was excellent quality, although slightly limited in range. There was a small section with miso soup, steamed rice and western porridge. As an Asian, I had no idea what I would eat the rice with, yet I suppose some Asians may still prefer eating the rice over Western breakfast. The set-up of Bistro Lago is beautiful, with a bar and lounge area set apart from the restaurant. On a nice clear day, the views from the restaurant reaches across the lake to showcase the mountain-capped peaks on the background. Just stunning! We also managed to have lunch at Bistro Lago, which is also highly recommended. From an enquiry, the Saturday night we were there appear to have limited availability on enquiry after Friday morning breakfast, so consider booking ahead for the weekend. As HHonors Gold, there is an option of having a simple continental breakfast as complimentary or upgrade to the full buffet breakfast at $12 per person, which we did every morning.

The pool is beautiful although a bit short for lap swimming, yet possible if very keen. There is children's section as well as an adjacent jacuzzi that proves popular most of the time. The gym is limited in equipment but adequate and there is a sauna.

In summary, we had an uncomplicated stay at Hilton. We enjoyed every moment of our stay from check-in to check-out, with every member of stay generous with a smile and greeting. Having stayed at Hilton Melbourne and Hilton KL, I must say Hilton Lake Taupo stands out for sure.

Room Tip: Loved the view overlooking the pool complex on the top floor!
Dear Kenny_Cool,

Thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor it is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and made particular mention of our friendly team of staff.

I do hope that we will be able to share with you once again our Taupo hospitality.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for three nights and used the hotel as a base to explore Rotorua, Taupo, and the national park. Staff was great, and room spacious and clean. Restaurant for breakfast was good, although they could use a cappucino machine. Also dined one night for dinner and it was outstanding. We had a junior suite on the back of the new wing, so no view of the lake, but still pleasant. I agree with the other comments on the gravel parking lot. They need to at least build some stairs up out of the lot to the reception.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear sbradbur,

Many thanks for sharing on TripAdvisor it is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your overall experience at the hotel and found Great Lake Taupo an ideal base to explore the central Plateau including Rotorua and National Park.

As mentioned in my earlier response we are excited to advise that the section in front of the hotel which has been used as additional and overflow parking will in the coming weeks receive an upgrade. Until recently our undercover and complimentary car parking options in front of the Heritage building have been suffice for demand however we now appreciate that the section in front of the hotel is now in greater demand hence moving to define this as additional parking.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share on TripAdvisor and I do hope that we will see you again at some stage in the future.

Yulara, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Although a few small spots for improval, I was overall very happy with my stay here.

I stayed in a King Superior suite which was spacious and had everything you would expect of a Hilton Hotel. Great facilities including pool, gym, spa and free internet/computer access in the business centre.

The staff were friendly and welcoming and went out of their way to make your stay comfortable. I stayed here for a wedding and had a "wardrobe malfunction" last minute, to which staff quickly came to my room with necessary equipment to fix this.

The concierge was great in organising an experience I wanted to take part in. I felt the staff recognised me as an individual, not just another guest.

Overall, I felt safe and secure on these premises (except for the carpark, which I will get to).

Now for the small areas for improvement:

1. Overall, the room felt extremely clean (and I am fussy)!! The only downside to this was a stray hair that was in the bath tub when I arrived .... but still overall, the whole room/bathroom felt extremely clean.

2. The internet access that you are supposed to be able to access from your room proved tricky for me. I could not get my computer to connect, however saved myself money by using the free computers in the business centre.

3. The free car park is a gravel "field" at the base of the hotel. I did not feel safe parking here alone at night as I felt it was not very well lit up. I was also unable to locate a path up to the hotel, so had to walk up along the drive way in a not well lit area, which I also found a bit dangerous.

4. Communication failed on one day when an event I organised through the concierge was cancelled due to weather. I was out all morning (with no mobile), so when I turned up to my event and found it was cancelled due to weather, I was not too concerned that the Hilton had not notified me as the venue had said they were meant to. However, on returning to my room, there were no messages/calls waiting to tell me it was cancelled, so even if I was in my room, I felt I would not have been notified.

So these 4 small hiccups aside, overall it is a fantastic venue with very friendly and helpful staff and great facilities.

Definitely would recommend this place!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear CNemo,

I appreciate you placing feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. It is pleasing to read that you found the hotel fantastic and noted that you will definitely return.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced difficulties connecting to the internet in your accommodation room. We offer both cabled and wifi connection options and usually this is a seamless connection process. I am glad however to hear that you were able to make use of our complimentary connectivity station in the business centre.

With regards to the section at the front of the hotel which is utilised as additional and overflow complimentary car parking, I am pleased to advise that the redefining and upgrade of this area will commence in the coming week – this was unfortunately delayed during winter due to wet weather.

Again thank you for taking the time to share on TripAdvisor and I do hope that we will see you again shortly.

Best regards,

New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Our family of four stayed in a one bedroom apartment. The apartment was quite large and well fitted out. If staying in the apartment I would recommend paying extra to have your car stored in the basement parking below. There is lift access direct to your room and makes coming and going so much easier.

We did the buffet breakfast and the food quality of great. Whilst small there were plenty of attractive options. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Dulouz,

Many thanks for taking the time to share feedback regarding your stay with us in July. It is always very pleasing to know that we have delivered a memorable experience.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again sometime in the future.

New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in a King Room. We were looked after by Lisa and her team all the way through our stay - thank you Lisa for making our weekend away just right. On one of the days we asked Lisa which part of the building was the old hotel she gave us a tour through which was just great!
The room - big, bright and very clean. Housekeeping 5mins away when we called. Our room was quite and had black out curtains. Beds very comfy with the option or ordering more pillows off the "pillow menu", which we did. Fresh milk available on request.
Yes, parking was $15 but its right by the elevator to your room, worth paying for!
We used the sauna, spa and pool - the pool being at 23 degrees - which I thought a little cold. The sauna was lovely and clean and has showers etc.
I would not hesitate staying here again, however next time I would request a room with a covered balcony as when it rained we could not go outside.
This place is just lovely.
We had dinner at Bistro Lago - see my review on tripadvisor for Bistro Lago.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a covered balcony on a high floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CF-AKLLT, Manager at Hilton Lake Taupo, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Sparkle59,

Thank you for taking the time to share on TripAdvisor. It always a great pleasure to know that we have met or exceeded guest expectations.

I appreciate your overall feedback on the hotel, it is pleasing to hear that you were able to make use of the hotel facilities and in particular enjoyed the service offered by our Assistant Manager Lisa. I will ensure that your personal recognition is bought to her attention.

Thank you again for posting. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Clinton Farley

Been to Hilton Lake Taupo? Share your experiences!