“Awesome budget accommodation” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Motel   |   50 Tonga Street, Taupo, New Zealand   |
Ranked #68 of 74 Hotels in Taupo
“Awesome budget accommodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Arrived a few hours late office was still open. No issues checking in was offered an upgrade to a motel room which we declined as we just needed a bed. Got shown our cabin which we were thrilled with. Was really cheap and we were so surprised to find a heater fridge tv and kettle even cutlery in our cabin. The beds were extremely comfortable. Staff were great. When I go to Taupo I will most definitely be booking back into the cabins here. They are only a few meters to the shared facilities but for the cheap price to stay this was well worth it. Thanks guys you well exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Shop around before you decide to stay here. Taupo has some well maintained and clean places to stay, and at the present time this is not one of them.
I don't mind old, or dated, which these units are, but these units are unclean and requiring maintenance. Plumbing and Electrical maintenance is required, and units do not have smoke alarms as required by law.
I would expect to pay a lot less for this accommodation, as it is.
There are much better properties around for less.

Room Tip: These units are in a quiet area, so I think all would be roughly similar. The 3 Units our group stay...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Very good price for a room. With kitchen and bathroom with hot water is a grate place if you are traveling in your car or a tend to change that accommodation in taupo.
Kind people always trying to help you.

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Booked on line as images looked nice and exceptable for what it cost.On arrival all was not as it seemed!
A family weekend turned out rather embarrassing for me when the kids and there partners were shown their cabins.
Tired,dated and smelly.The shared kitchen was no better.Only 3 coffee mugs between 8 of us and no teaspoons.
The showers and toilets needed a janola fix!
Lucky for me after a few drinks outside as the smell inside was to much to bare,the kids were able to laugh about it.
We only stayed for the one night thank goodness.I slept in my clothes as wasn't to fussed on the. so called clean linen.
one of the kids had cigarette burns in their sheets!
Lesson learnt.Will spend the extra and will not stay here again

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My first thoughts when I entered the cabin were 'oh my god'. The room was so dirty, the owner admited this and wiped hair off the lower bunk in order to remove it (I slept in top of a towel in order to avoid touching the sheets). He then gave us a STICK to remove the cobwebs. I am absolutely terrified of spiders and I had to kill 2 at three o'clock in the morning and I did not slept a wink due to how panicked I was (stupid fear, I know). We stayed away from the communal kitchen and decided to walk to town for dinner, although I spent the entire experince looking over my shoulder as the motel is located in a rather unpleasant area of town. However the showers were clean, as well as the toilets and we found one of the owners to be extremely lovely and helpful. Overall my stay here was not a fun experience, it's worth paying a little bit extra for a clean bed and windows that close properly.

• Stayed March 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The room was dingy and the bedroom felt like a prison cell.
The bathroom was not clean and the mould arouns the sink was horrible, the water heater was just plain strange.
The area is rough and we were kept awake by loud parties next door. Not the owners fault but we got little sleep, we left to sleep in the car somewhere else.

Would never return

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Masterton, Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We left it a bit late to book over a holiday period so we're happy to find somewhere available. But as we drove into the street we thought maybe it had been a mistake. While checking in the owner was extremely rude to a woman in the office (his wife I presume) but then was reasonably pleasant to us. Our room was tidy but very dated and not well laid out at all, you could have a party in the bathroom with all the wasted space! The decor is old and the facilities are basic. The continental breakfast promised on the AA website was a bit of a joke, some slices of bread and some cornflakes in plastic bags with very few spreads for 3 of us, and when I asked about the breakfast when checking in it was obvious that was a nuisance. Although it was cheap and was handy for the night I don't think we would return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Camellia Court Motel? Share your experiences!