“Best Indian we've had in a long time” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Best Indian we've had in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Would definitely recommend this place to people visiting Taupo. Can see why it ranked so high on TripAdvisor.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canmore, Canada
“Quietest spot in town on a busy night hehehe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

After walking around trip advisors recommendations and finding a very long wait everywhere, we came across #1…a very modest looking Indian restaurant with a tacky sign (I'm sorry, I mean that fondly). We were seated straight away, at the #1 restaurant on Trip Advisor…still waiting for the punch line.
The decor is made up of sparkly, colorful elephant quilts and lanterns and all those gaudy things that you secretly love and make up all the best Indian restaurants.

We ordered a lamb vindaloo and a chicken... murgh badami perhaps? Anyway, both were very good. The chicken dish was heavily sweetened and the vindaloo heavily salted, but when you are in the mood for a rich, hearty curry, you'll happily overlook these nuances. The meat in the dishes is cut small and almost shredded, giving that thick stew-like curry consistency. I only mention this because I think it caught some fellow diners by surprise and they were underwhelmed?

I love Indian food so much I'm practically Indian (well I guess I actually am, just a little bit). Overall it was a good restaurant, good value for money, service and food. I wouldn't say it was the best Indian food I've ever had but I'd eat there again to be convinced.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great food, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We ate at this restaurant while in Taupo for the round the lake bike race. Despite being absolutely packed and very busy the staff were attentive and helpful. The food was very good, fresh tasting and perfectly matched to our request for 'kiwi hot'. I was impressed with how much ambience they had managed to create with the decor in what must have been a very bland building. A great place to eat at a reasonable price in a town that's full of pretty bland restaurants.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NZ
“Best Indian in Taupo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have visited most of the Indian Restaurants in Taupo but keep coming back to this one. Why? The family who own/run the restaurant remember who we are, our names, our favourite dishes etc. Their food is beautiful, service fabulous and the prices are very reasonable. We can come here with our 2 hungry teenage sons, have a fabulous meal, take home some leftovers, bring a bottle of wine and drink a few beers and softdrinks and still pay under $120. Fabulous.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Feels like home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I generally dislike eating Indian out but master of India is the exception. This family run restaurant strikes perfection with authentic decor, intimate service and true flavours. Food tastes fresh and does not leave you feeling uncomfortable after. We has the lamb Kadai and chicken curry on the first night with garlic naan. Rice is complimentary. We visited again the next day and had the aloo mutter and chicken mouglai. We had the 'Indian hot' flavour for all our curries as we eat our food spicy. Will likely visit again if the opportunity arises. Highly recommended to anyone
that visits taupo.