“Eight years staying at this Park” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Great Lake Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taupo
Great Lake Holiday Park
You added Great Lake Holiday Park to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   406 Acacia Bay Road, Taupo 3351, New Zealand   |
Ranked #17 of 36 Specialty Lodging in Taupo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Eight years staying at this Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Only 5mins from this holiday park to the centre of Taupo (hang a right just before crossing the bridge into Taupo as you head south - on the road to Acacia Bay).
A lovely family-owned/run holiday park who are friendly, helpful and very reliable.
The cabins are very clean and tidy and I find this a very quiet environment for all age groups (I do not think the owners or visitors would be putting up with noisy partying types!).
A great environment for families with young children as there is a lovely little children's playground.
This is a fantastic place for triathletes to stay for the half ironman/ironman events each year because of its quietness and proximity to Taupo. As well as other athletes who venture often to Taupo for cycle races etc.
I most certainly would recommend this place for anyone looking for cabin accommodation, hook-ups for campers/motorhomes/vans/tents.

Room Tip: Great for athletes competing in sporting events in Taupo who do not wish to pay exorbitant amounts f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
gtlake, Owner at Great Lake Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you so much for this excellent review. We are also very fond of our location away from the hustle and bustle of town, but yet only 5 minutes away. It is our pleasure to welcome you back each year.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Taupo, Waikato, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

A wonderfully quiet and well maintained holiday park away from the hustle and bustle of town but still close enough to easily and quickly access the many attractions Taupo offers! A high standard of of service on arrival and throughout our stay from the friendly family owners. Can't wait to return next holidays!

• Stayed December 2012
gtlake, Owner at Great Lake Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcome you back in future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Good rooms and facilities generally but spoilt by very poor barbecues which took ages to cook anything as the flames were so low. When we asked if there was anything that could be done were told that they were relatively new but not very good and that we would just have to cook the meat longer

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The burners on the bbq's were replaced and they now function extremely well.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Booked a deluxe cabin - really inadequate for price - also parking not next to unit, less than helpful,quality of unit basic, not delux, minimal facilities. A toaster is not useful without plates. We have stayed in many holiday parks and for a deluxe cabin this has to be our worst.

Room Tip: overpriced for what got - worst holiday park we have stayed in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
gtlake, Owner at Great Lake Holiday Park, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear traveller, it sounds like a self-contained unit would have suited your needs better.
As for the parking, your cabin's allocated space was 10 metres to the back end of the cabin as appose to the campsite next to it where you initially wanted to park.
Your comments about the toaster was noted and is under review, thank you.
Wernigerode, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

All in all a good place to set up a tent, but this is not the place to get a continious hot shower or a nice cabin to stay. The beds are ok, but blankets and towels only for extra charge. Wouldn't be a problem if the basic charge for the room wouldn't be that high.
The toilet block is in a good condition if you don't care about the temperature of the water.
I went to the office to change a pillow case after noticing that it's dirty. Staff seems to be rude and doesn't care about the satisfaction of their customers.
I would not recommend this holiday park if you are looking for a good accomodation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
gtlake, Owner at Great Lake Holiday Park, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback as we continuously strive to improve the park and our service to our guests since we took over in October 2011.
Dunedin, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was the most spacious campground we went to on our trip. The cabin was fine, but we did miss having a pool when it was so hot. It was quiet and pleasant, and the service was good. It's a drive into town. The playground facilities were excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Glad you had a pleasant stay.
Scheidegg, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We booked a campervan site. When we arrived the place, we were really shocked: The sites were all untended with more dusty ground then grass.And lots of branches (up to nearly one meter) were laying arund. The places to sit down are old and damaged, you can`t use them.
On their homepage it is described as "Close to Taupo".This means 4km out of Taupo, beside a mainroad, no access to the lake.
Our experience with the stuff: Some were friendly, but if you really need something.....
I used their washer. It was described, that it will take 25min.....when it was still running after 45min, I asked for somebody to check the washer please.After some minutes a man came with a baby in his arms.
I told him, that the washer was running in the meanwhile for over 45min. He just looked at the washer and said that he has no idea what is wrong, I have to wait.I said,sorry...I´m little bit afraid of my clothes......He said to me,what I expect from him,he is not a mechanic,and Ishould not be NASTY. Then he leave me and the washer alone....I took my clothes out of the washer and put them into the dryer. 4$ for 45min......when I come back after 10 min,dryer had stopped ( was not overload!)....I dried the clothes then on a clothes line, because I wouldn`t ask again some stuff.

The place is described as a four star place! I have no idea, how they got these.The only nice place is the BBQ area.
Kitchen, showers and toiletts are okay ...but not four star like.
This is our third journey to NZ....but we never before had such a bad experience.
Now I´m not wondering any longer about missing pictures from the campground on their homepage.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear traveller,
Sorry to say this, but your review is totally unjustified and malicious. Most people are aware of the fact that New Zealand is currently experiencing its worst drought in 50 years and we have limited water supply due to this. I'm surprised you did not notice the clean up of branches in progress at the entrance and bottom of the park from windstorm the previous day.

As for the washing machine. Yes I did say I'm not a mechanic but you obviously don't recall me opening the lid to check. The tub was filling really slowly and I did say that I think it is only due to the water pressure and that your clothes will not be be damaged, just be patient. The more I tried to reassure you of this, the nastier you got. WE HAD THE PROFESSIONALS LOOK AT IT AND TURNS OUT IT WAS A BLOCKED FILTER AND WAS FIXED.

Unfortunately your rage continued to the point that you felt the need to dish us on everything else as well.

Been to Great Lake Holiday Park? Share your experiences!