“Absolute Luxury & Amazing Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Richlyn Homestay
1 Mark Wynd | Bonshaw Park, Taupo 2730, New Zealand   |
Ranked #6 of 29 Taupo B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Absolute Luxury & Amazing Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've waited a little too long in posting this review, but I wanted to make sure that I had the chance to sit down and really write something that could describe the experience that we had at the Richlyn Bed & Breakfast in Lake Taupo.

First, the hosts are two of the most genuine, beautiful, and truly caring people that we came across while visiting New Zealand during December and January. They take owning and managing a bed and breakfast to the next level. I hadn't really thought about returning to Lake Taupo before arriving there, but staying with Rich and Lyn made me feel like this was a home away from home. It often makes me think about returning there again soon, just to experience the hospitality and the beautiful home that they open up to guests.

Everything about their home is luxurious. The attention to detail, the sincere conversations during breakfast, and the offering of tea each time we came back to drop something off. As far as B&B owners go, these two should be in the books as experts for all those that give luxury bed and breakfasts a thought.

The accommodations were lovely. The rooms were just the right size and very large, at that. The linens were impeccably clean and I felt like I was staying in a 5-star resort with a touch of mom and dad behind the service. The breakfast was a real breakfast with a variety of options, including company and conversation -- which is so important these days. I remember thinking I needed to leave my laptop in the room or put my phone down, because the guests and the hosts made me want to connect and enjoy the company.

It might be a while before I find myself back on the North Island, but when I do end up there again I will make a point to stop and stay with Rich & Lyn again. They truly made the Lake Taupo experience one of a kind.

Room Tip: Every room is gorgeous and there isn't one better than the other. Just enjoy yourself.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at with Richard and Lynn at their home for five nights in luxury. We were greeted with an excellent bottle of wine and our luggage was taken to our room. We were given a welcome cup of tea and homemade biscuits and cake .
They told us of places of interest to visit also good restaurants in the town.
We had a good choice of breakfast each morning and this contributed to our weight gain!
Nothing was too much trouble for Richard and Lynn.
We spent four weeks travelling around New Zealand, staying in this type of accommodation and found it to be the best of all.
Excellent value for money, and we have not even mentioned the garden,
David and Judy O'CALLAGHAN. U.k.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Friendly hosts with a lovely home and facilities. Nice breakfast and friendly chats morning and night. Surroundings are peaceful and close to Taupo, letting you feel isolated, but knowing you are not. Great if you like animals with a dog and cat on hand to also welcome you. Perfect if you want to get away from it all. We had plans for the weekend and know Taupo well, so we can't comment on local knowledge of attractions, but from the chats we had I would suggest Richard and Lyn could point you in the right direction for whatever you want to do or see. Only downside for us would be the lack of water pressure in the shower, but we were warned when we arrived.
Not recommended if you don't like dogs and/or cats. Driveway is quite long and narrow, but parking is ample.

Room Tip: All rooms would be quiet and have a lovely outlook on the garden.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

All our stops in New Zealand were good, this one was the best.
Fantastic home, lovely room and Richard and Lyn are great hosts, with local knowledge and so welcoming. When you leave it's a wrench - saying goodbye to friends who you want to visit your home and carry on those breakfast chats (unfortunately my breakfast cooking is not as good as theirs).
Many thanks for the best two nights in our all too short stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

a hidden jewel about 5-10 min drive away from taupo. the rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious. the owners are warm and friendly attending to all needs. a must stay for those looking for a luxurious and romantic getaway.

• Stayed December 2012
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We have been staying in Taupo for two nights and stayed at the Richlyn. The room that we had was very good as well as the spacious bathroom.
The warm welcome with handmade bakeries is a very nice and personal touch. The service and breakfast is outstanding.
We liked it a lot and would highly recommend this place to other travellers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Thank you for the lovely stay and your usefull tips to discover the taupo area.
Clean and perfectly maintained rooms and gardens in a quiet area.
One of the best places we stayed in new zealand
Don't hesitate to stay at this pearl in taupo

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Richlyn Homestay? Share your experiences!