“Anchorage? The ship is sinking!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Anchorage Resort Motel

You added Anchorage Resort Motel to your Saves list
Anchorage Resort Motel
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   State Highway 1 | Lake Terrace, Two Mile Bay, Taupo, New Zealand   |
Ranked #51 of 73 Hotels in Taupo
Melbourne, Australia
“Anchorage? The ship is sinking!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

This hotel was so bad that we only stayed there one night instead of the two we had booked. The first room they put us in had a tiny loveseat, dining room set, and tv smaller than the screen in my cell phone! The rooms are big, but when the tiny tv is in one corner and the tiny couch is in the other (with no coffee table or anything else, I would add), you'd better hope nothing good is on! We complained about the first room and then they put us in an upstairs room, one of the best, she told us. It was more comfortable with two couches (not very good quality and no throw pillows), coffee table and the tiny tv a little bit closer.

The main reason we left was that the bed was so uncomfortable, I slept on the couch. The bed was really old and had a deep dip in the middle of it. Security is also a joke - a wimpy lock on the door handle and glass plates in the door! The woman at the reception desk told me they were shadowed and no one could see through, but my husband and I did a test and believe me, he got a show!! I did not feel safe when staying there.

I thought this hotel would be average, after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I don't know what the rooms were like before the new owners and renovations, but they must have been atrocious! I would stay away from this hotel at all costs! We did appreciate the fact that they didn't charge us for the second night since we canceled it at the last minute, but that's just to be expected, really.

The woman at reception was very nice and the hotel did have good views, but that's not enough to stay there again! It's also located a fair drive from town (you wouldn't walk there) and there are tons of hotels in Taupo from which to choose. But if you have to stay at the Anchorage, you shouldn't pay more than $50 per night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
corp1Uk, Manager at Anchorage Resort Motel, responded to this review, November 3, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write to trip Advisor... I feel your comments were extremly harsh. In the 4 months since we have taken over this property, we have been refurbishing every room and have been getting great comments. Unfortunately we were quite busy on the night you arrived and were put into a room that has not been renovated as yet. The second room, has lovely furniture, great views of lake Taupo. We thank you for advising us about the bed, as we had no idea that this was as bad as you say and will definately look into this.
The Manager on the day, did offer for you to stay in our 5 star property, which is situated right in town and this too was unacceptable, so unfortunately you would not allow this situation to be rectified.
And yes the property was in a terrible state, but now is of a great standard that we are proud to offer accommodation to.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

This motel was great, we had a 1 bedroom apartment with lake views and the apartment was very spacious and looked to be newly renovated. The lady at reception was awesome, very friendly.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

I had one night here while touring round. Booked by phone a couple of days before.

Location is on the main road around the lake so there's a great view. It's a good 5 minute drive from the town centre so if you want to eat out or have a drink you'll need to drive. Although the Ploughmans at Rainbow Point is walkable - and recommended for a good evening meal.

The accommodation was good: bedroom, decent bathroon, large sitting room, well equipped kitchenette. Overall it felt slightly old-fashioned and in need of updating.

The motel is in a horseshoe shape around a small garden and swimming pool. This is fine if you want to sit and chill while the kids take a swim. However, I'm quite a private person so sitting out on the deck I felt like I was in a goldfish bowl.

There's nothing really wrong with it, but I didn't enjoy being there.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Anchorage Resort Motel? Share your experiences!