“Great Stay Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Invercargill, New Zealand
“Great Stay Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We were welcomed to the Landmark Manor Motel by very friendly hosts, with a muffin to go with our coffee on arrival (a very welcoming touch). We stayed in the two bedroomed motel at the back behind the office. The room was quiet and very clean and tidy, very warm, two good sized bedrooms and great king size beds, just a little small for two couples in the living area, although good seating (couch and two chairs). The hosts hadn't been there long but were extremely helpful with advise of places to dine out. Overall a great stay

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Tauranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Before the negatives I want to say this place is spotlessly clean which is always good. Its noisy at night with traffic and drunks walking along the road. The building itself looks pretty old but the rooms have had a spruce up. That said you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear!
The beds are big but old and saggy with pillows the thickness of the Weekend Herald- and as hard.
I asked the very nice male owner if i could have different/ more pillows. He came to look at them with his wife or mother (I'm not sure which she was) when i showed them the pillows she said "What do you want me to do about it?" and "Nobody else has complained, we've only been here 3 weeks" I explained that i would like more pillows and that in fact there is a comment on Trip advisor complaining of exactly the same thing. I also sat on the edge of the bed to show them how much sag there was. Again she asked "what do you want me to do about it?" I explained that it was customer feedback about her business! Again she told me we've only been here three weeks- as if thats relevant to me. I was given a couple of additional thin pillows. Seriously some people should not be allowed near customers. Because nobody else has mentioned something to you doesn't mean that there isn't a problem- On my two night stay i requested my breakfast at a certain time but that didn't matter it arrived about 30mins before that on both days. I have posted a pic of the pillows.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Palmerston North, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

lovely warm welcome plus a muffin to go with my coffee. it was a spur of the moment decision to stay in new Plymouth. had no plans as to where to stay. they were easy to find with easy parking and close to everything. good quiet room with a king size bed! good color to the room also. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: get a room with a spa bath!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gisborne, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Very warm friendly owners, complimentary home baked chocolate chip muffins on arrival awesome. Clean, spacious rooms, close to all amenities with supermarkets across the road fabulous. I will stay here again and highly recommend to my organization, friends and family.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We had a one bedroom suite which included a bedroom with en-suite facilities and a separate living/kitchen area. We had a lovely greeting from the owner with complimentary warm muffins and butter which made a great first impression. The motel is located next to a busy main road and our room was on the first floor next to the road and there was some traffic noise into the night and early morning. (suggest asking for a room away from the road). The rooms were clean and compact and located just a five minute stroll from the main shopping area and restaurants.

Enjoyed a walk along the coastal path.

Off to Waitomo Caves.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hastings, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We found the location very good, but a bit hard to access due to the Motel being placed adjacent to a one way street, but it is in a handy location to most points of interest. The muffins given to us when we checked in was very welcome and a nice touch. The owners were really friendly, and were helpful with local information. The only negative comment I could make is that there was no separate bedroom and all four beds were in the lounge, but we had plenty of room. The service and cleanliness was of a high standard, and I would say that the room was good value for money and that Rex and Marina were excellent hosts

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
One way streets can be annoying when not use to them, agree then.

Pleased you all enjoyed the muffins on your arrival
As for no separate bedrooms, when you booked on the web you booked that large studio, not a room with separate bedrooms, which Marina did tell you on your arrival. The 2 bedroom unit was availabe had you wish to take that.
Any way hope your friends from across the ditch had a great time in NZ.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was horrified when we first arrived. The motel is on an ugly business road surrounded by 3 supermarkets and car showrooms. It feels like a us strip mall in the Midwest. After 6 weeks touring NZ I had finally seen ugliness. The motel isn't a pretty sight either looking like a down at heel public housing estate. The room was very small for a motel, the beds were very soft and there wasn't even a bar of soap provided. And the room was full of mosquitoes (because the cleaners leave the doors open when they clean). After a beautiful motel in Taupo for less money we were depressed as we stayed 5 nights here because of WOMAD. I should add the owners were on holiday and the acting person in charge didn't seem terribly clued in. I am not sure what chemicals were used cleaning but during my time there I developed a really bad dose of rhinitis and a seriously painful throat.
To be fair there were some good things: we were given 2 sachets of plunger coffee each day; the internet for one device only was unlimited and the shower was excellent. And we did discover we were very close to the park for womad and to the centre of town.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rex W, Owner at Landmark Manor Motel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for doing a review for Landmark Manor Motel.
Must say the heading is certainly different never heard it called ugly before, buy I guess each tio their own.

Before I went away ther was 2 supermarkets, came back still two, not sure where thew third one came from and went to. If fact because we are so close to TWO supermarkets is a great selling point..

Sorry the beds were to soft for you, but if it is very hard to get a bed that suits everyone, some guests like hard beds, others soft.

Soap, we have liquid soap at handbasin and shower gel in shower, however if you wanted a bar of soap all you had to do was asked and you would have had some put in your unit.

As for the mosquitoes, they could have came into the room while you were unloading your car, so leaving open on a hot day was the right thing to do in our mind, and you would have noticed that there is fly spray in the room had you looked.

The main chemicals used on a service is a citrus (orange based), so very suprised if that was the cause for you sore throat.

Must say it was please that you did found a couple of things that you were pleased about, however the internet can connect to more then one device, had you tried.

As for saying the minders were clueless that is very hard to say, we get very good reports from both our regular guests and from others, so maybe it was a caase of someone being very hard to please.

Notice you didn't mention about how they went out of their way to do things for you like, changing your bedding from a super king to twin share thet following day as you wish to have separate beds, how they informed you where the local doctors was etc.

One last thing, when making the booking you would have seen the photos of the motel, I must ask if it looked so ugly why did you book?

Been to Landmark Manor Motel? Share your experiences!