“It's a park, not a holiday” 2 of 5 stars

You added Belt Road Seaside Holiday Park to your Saves list
Belt Road Seaside Holiday Park
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   2 Belt Road, New Plymouth 4310, New Zealand   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“It's a park, not a holiday”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

For the price, not bad, but a few things could have been included. First off, this is located right on the beach, but about 30m above the beach, so there is no direct access unless you use a parachute. Still, a great view and a short walk to the water. There is some kind of refinery nearby so the view south is a little weird. The park is a combination of tent and (small) motorhome spaces, some small cabins; the one we were in had a double bed and a set of bunk beds, a card table, four chairs, a small TV...in a small, 4m square one-room area, so it was very tight. If you stay in a cabin ask for (and pay for) bed sheets and blankets ($7.50 a set), which do not come standard. A small (but effective) space heater. This is really meant for backpackers or people traveling by car who need a place to stay in transit. Common toilets, showers, kitchen & laundry...so timing is everything. It’s also located about 2 km from the center of town; which is the real disappointment, because there isn’t much there either. If you’re comfortable with the practice, leave the space heater on while you’re gone or you return to a damp & clammy room. We didn’t and we did. And if you get a cabin that faces the ocean plan on looking at the headlights of all the campers parked between you and the view.

Room Tip: If you have a choice get something that faces the ocean and not the campers
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed at the Belt Road Motor camp for one night in July. I booked a cabin with an en suite, which I recommend. When I have had to travel to New Plymouth previously I had stayed at either a motel or a hotel. Well next time I will stay here again. The reason I liked it here was because it was so quiet. All you can hear is the sea, no traffic whatsoever (its off the main road). Also the views, the units are right on the cliff, overlooking the sea and harbour. It was a cold winters night outside but I wasnt cold at all. There was a heater, but I never used it. OK its not five star, but its clean, bright, extremely comfortable, and the best views in New Plymouth. Also there is an amazing coastal walkway that runs the length of the city, and its just down the cliff, with an easy 30 second walk, so you can stroll or cycle along this wonderful wide path and take in the great views.
I also recommend you to visit the park, which in near the central city. I think its the best city park I have seen in New Zealand, also climb the big rock they call Paritutu, near the port. You can see it from the Camp. The views from the top are wonderful.
So you are visitng New Plymouth and are not worried if its not 5 star, but you want a great sleep, with awesome views, I am sure you will be happy here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Ok accommodation but not sufficient heating for a cold winters week. There were also ants which kept appearing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hamilton, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Hello

We booked a self contained unit with an en-suite, only to find out the following outlined although to some may seam petty.

Based on the previous 4 locations across the country around the some price I think they could have done better.

We were first, got hung up on contacting the office on our way there to confirm check in.

When we get there we find out that we need to hire bedding.. ??, So given $15 for the two of us each night $7.50pp, we decided just to buy our own bedding from the warehouse (cheap store in town). $40 later we had our own bedding and only for $10 more that we could take home..

It got worse..

No soap in the bathroom, this is a matter of standard public infection control. Well.. they charge $0.50 for soup! Come on!.

Upon inquiring about this, the park said that the reason why they do not include such commoditys is to keep the price down for travelers to offer affordable accomidation.

If you consider the price we paid $95.00inc per night, the price is good yes. However, by the time you finish hiring/buying items like blankets, soap, shampoo, coffee..

You might as well save the hassle and stay some place with better service for $130.

Pro's:
- Central to the city

Con's:
- Very bad bed, You could tell it was a double bed because of the sag left and right and a hump in the middle Maybe got 3 hours of sleep)
- Ants
- Cold and damp on arrival (It is not hard to turn the heater on before your guests arrive to welcome them)
- You have to hire everything! (Or you could upgrade your suite so they said later)

Summary of our stay :
Well, not wanting to stay our 2nd night due to the bed being just horrible and being fooled into thinking the unit was "Self Contained" we thought their pricing structure and offerings were misleading.

We probably will not get our $95 back, but I would rather pay $95 to sleep in our own bed. Being the last night.. we just drove home (250km) on 3hrs of sleep.

If you are going to stay here, it would pay to get everything in writing, and it would be a good idea to ensure that you know exactly what you are getting.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
BeltRdSeasideHP, Manager at Belt Road Seaside Holiday Park, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to place a review. We take all comments seriously and are pleased to inform everyone that we now have new mattresses in most of the cabins. Unfortunately we do have ant issues when it rains and are doing our best to keep that under control. We also try and give as much information as possible, and update our web page regularly. Thank you again for your time.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Being school holidays, my friend and I decided to have a couple of days in New Plymouth with our teenage girls. I rang and booked a 'cabin with ensuite' and the park took a deposit of $104 (1 nights accom) off my visa to secure it.On arrive we were shocked to find we were given the wrong cabin. It was tiny with no room to move or for the extra bed we ordered and there was no ensuite so I immediately notified staff that the one I booked definitely had an ensuite and sleeps 4 not 2-4 people. I had several txts that I had sent to my friend to prove it word for word. Apparently I was wrong, not their temp staff member I spoke to. As they were fully booked except for a room the same or one smaller, I asked for a refund so I could find alternative accommodation.It was after all their error but they refused saying they would transfer the money to a room for the next night if we paid $20 extra for the upgrade(making it $124 + $20 for a gate key).This was not what we wanted but felt bullied in the end. We needed a room so left to find a place to stay that night. Once booked, we rang them back to say we did not wish to return but they continually argue that I originally booked this tiny cabin so there would be no refund and that they had accommodation for me the second night but after the way we were spoken to we didn't want to go back.Eventually we got 2 beautiful adjoining Hotel rooms ($85 each).Once I arrived home, I rang them and they said 'no refund'. After a long discussion they said they would refund, less 2 nights booking fee. Not fair! "Ok then no refund"..and so it went on. They then deducted a further $104 from my Visa (now $208). I notified them and a few days later got a full refund... If I had cancelled my booking, they should keep my deposit but I didn't. They just didn't have the room available I booked so I was entitled to a refund but what a battle to get it back! Very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your initial review. We have had many conversations since then and are pleased the matter is resolved. We look forward to you staying with us in the future.
Wellington, NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

This holiday park is walking distance to town and right next to the port. The facilities are pretty good and generally clean.

However, there seems to be a bit of confusion with the bookings. We did manage to get a place to sleep, but they didn't seem to know what was booked.

Overall a good place to stay, but could be organised better.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
BeltRdSeasideHP, Manager at Belt Road Seaside Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Thank you for your feedback!

We are always striving to improve the service that we offer, so your comments are of value to us. We have taken into account your response and we apologise for the confusion there was in regards to your booking.

We hope to see you return to Belt Road Holiday Park in the near future!

Kind Regards,

Belt Road Management.

Been to Belt Road Seaside Holiday Park? Share your experiences!