“The best shared Indian appertiser we have had” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 153 Restaurants in Rotorua
Cuisines: Indian
Description: Rotorua's most awarded restaurant with awesome atmosphere and flawless service.
Waikanae, New Zealand
“The best shared Indian appertiser we have had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We ordered the shared appertiser and it was great value for money. We didn't really need the mains we had ordered so ended up taking half of them home. The food and service were great.

Visited January 2014

Rotorua, New Zealand
“Indian Star Rotorua excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Consistently good food and service. Have been here numerous times! Probably the best Indian restaurant we have frequented and always good value for money compared to what you can pay for some pretty average meals else where. Highly recommended!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore
“Pathetic service, food & attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Looking at the reviews about Indian star , we went very enthusiastically for dinner there when we were visiting Rotorua in December 2013. All their certificates of being the best rated restruant were displyed outside , but we were horrified by the hoitey toitey attitude of the staff , for eg after giving the order when we politely requested them to repeat the order just to ensure if they recorded everything, we were told well whatever u stated will be obliviously recorded! This is just a small example of their horrendous attitude. Anyways thanks to them we had quite a horrible evening. Hope this review is a lesson for them to buck up. Will never recommend anyone to go there !

Visited December 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great service, a welcoming smile and consistently great food...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is a home town review, but after a long time away from Rotorua. We lived outside the city, both overseas and in Auckland, for 18 months. When we returned I was unable to eat even mildly hot spicy food, so our favourite Indian Star was out of play.
However, just before Xmas I decided to risk it. I went into the Indian Star for the first time in 2 and half years.
Ray, the owner overheard me give my name as I ordered the takeaways (asking for mild as mild on the chili). I am a lot thinner than the last time I was in, but he recognised me, shook my hand and underlined to the guys to make sure it was mild (tough for an Indian restaurant owner, I'm sure!).
He even remembered I like a nice white while I waited and one arrived with a lovely fresh popadom.
My taste buds still don't work 100%, but the food was lovely - still tingly, but not too much.
Friends who visit, as well, tell me that there are no issues if you want/can handle it a lot hotter.
Returned last evening and it was the same and the food was as good always.
Thanks to Ray and his team for their kindness, hospitality and cuisine...we'll be back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Zealand
“Great food, great service despite a VERY busy night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We visited here New Years Eve 2013 on what was a very busy night with several large groups. Was the perfect location to spend the evening.

We have eaten here before many years ago, so ordered the buffet as we remembered enjoying it in the past. My 9 year old son also enjoyed the buffet ay half price which I thought was reasonable and he thoroughly enjoyed it, but we were also offered the choice of a kid's meal. He is already nagging us to go back! The timing between courses was perfect, and at no time we were rushed despite the steady flow of public walking in and requesting a table.

Ray greeted us and treated us like royalty (along with all the other diners) and ensured that everyone was happy and enjoying their meals and offering to top any buffet dishes up.

It's good to see that after so many years, this place still serves such fine food and service, can't wait to go back!

• Visited December 2013