“Clean, inexpensive, no frills” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Rotorua

Grand Hotel Rotorua
You added Grand Hotel Rotorua to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Rotorua
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1130 Pukuatua Street | Rotorua CBD, Rotorua, New Zealand   |
Ranked #36 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Rotorua
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Clean, inexpensive, no frills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Reasonable, basic accommodation. OK for short business stays. Convenient for centre of town. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Greymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I got our admin girl to book this, and was impressed about the location and price. When we were driving into town following gps directions to find it, we drove right past! We'd pictured something, well, grander. So it was a bit of a laugh when we figured out where it was. However, despite appearances and less-than-grand ambiance, this hotel is perfectly acceptable. The staff are friendly, rooms clean and tidy, service satisfactory, and the breakfast adequate. Don't expect anything incredible, but for the price it's great value.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 120-130 range seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Queensland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

I traveled around the North Island of NZ with 6 friends.

Each person books a nights accommodation - we have a prize for the best and worst accommodation.

I'm sorry to say I booked the Grand Hotel and "won" the prize for "Worst Accommodation" - and I won it very easily.

The web site looked great, but the reality wasn't.

It's just a grey drab box with basic rooms, dead insects all through the room and the cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired.

The hotel was very cheap and I know why now.

The staff were friendly enough, but the cleaners need a good talking to!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
GrandHotelRotorua, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
I'm sorry you chose us as the worst Hotel you stayed in. February was an extremely busy month for both us and Rotorua accommodation in general. We prefer to encourage guests to stay in our Premier rooms however we do cater for a range of budgets and so we have cheap rooms on offer. Availability would have been limited at that time however, every guest does have the right to inspect the rooms prior to choosing to stay..

Our Hotel comprises 38 studio rooms on 3 different pricing levels.
1. The Premier Wing has 19, well appointed studio rooms which are almost identical, and is pictured on our website. They are 25 sq metre rooms with separate bathrooms, tea, coffee, fridge, phone, TV and a fixed cable internet connection - many have air conditioning.
2. We have 7 Economy Rooms which are clean and tidy but only have the basics. This is reflected in the price
3. There are 12 Budget/Backpacker style rooms which are smaller rooms and have only had a partial renovation. They are suited to those travellers on a budget who require a private, secure room rather than staying in a shared dorm. ($50 per night for 2 people)

Room cleanliness is important to us but by no means are we foolproof. If there is ever any issue, you should contact the reception or night staff immediately and it can be attended to straight away.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

The front desk was not very helpful. They seemed to be aloof and dismissive, and couldn't help. When I spoke to the manager / owner, she was not interested, and yelled over me. She wasn't interested in listening. It was hard to get a towel to shower with.The price was right, and the location was great. But when you stay, it is VERY loud. Almost impossible to sleep with all the party-goers and drunks. There is no air conditioning which means you have to sleep with the windows open and hear all the noise from the nightclub in the Hotel. Finally finished at 3.00am. And the comforters and pillows seem like that off of a 4-year-olds bed who hasn't changed their sheets in a while. The rooms smelt musty.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

After escaping the earthquakes in Christchurch, my partner and I decided to head to Rotorua for some R 'n R. Accommodation was booked last minute - Big mistake!!! I didn't read any reviews - Big mistake! So learn from my mistakes and just move on from this place as an option to rest your head. Instead head down to the Ventura down the road were you will get great service, clean and tidy room, helpful staff, package deals and the biggest part - A FULL NIGHTS SLEEP!!! All these things I didn't experience at the Grand Hotel (the name means nothing other than OLD)!!! We arrived in town late that night (just before 9pm). We headed out to grab some food and decided to head back to get a good night sleep, so that we could enjoy the next day. We were so looking forward to the earth not moving at night... Boy were we wrong. Who would have ever guessed that we would have a nightclub beneath our room. Room 114. The bass from the music was so much that the room rattled. There were no contact details in the room for the front desk and knowing that they closed at 9pm I didn't bother going looking for anyone. We ended up only starting to sleep when the club closed at 3am. Ended up sleeping in, missing our breakfast and after complaining to the front desk staff I was put onto the Manager Jeff who was not interested. I figure he's heard it all before. I asked for some kind of discount for the inconvenience and was offered an upgrade. On asking would it be any better I was told it was not guaranteed as the nightclub down the road has been known to play music till the early hours and could be heard loud and clear from inside. Stuff that they were not getting any more of my money... Angry and upset having had little sleep - don't bother looking at this place. As I give them the finger goodbye.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
GrandHotelRotorua, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
When you made your reservation you requested a cheap room ($75 including breakfast for 2). As advised at the time, we have Premier rooms available for $20 more but you would not consider it. The room you were allocated is near a bar but is not one which is generally affected by the noise. This bar is a completely separate tenancy and is not part of our business. Noise restrictions are governed by the Rotorua District Council, our night staff do monitor this and call them if they think necessary.

An after hours/emergency number is listed in the compendium and had you made use of this number the Duty staff may have been able to resolve the issue for you immediately.

Following your complaint the next morning, the Manager offered you an upgrade to a Premier room away from the bar concerned, at no charge. He advised that ANY accommodation in the Central City could be subject to noise whether it be from the bar down the road, road traffic, police sirens or Council street sweepers and was not prepared to unconditionally guarantee you a quiet night's sleep beyond his control. You clearly stated you were having trouble sleeping following the Christchurch earthquakes anyway so he suggested you seek accommodation out of the City Centre and offered the receptionist's assistance to help find a place for you, which you declined.

We endeavour to do our best for our guests.
Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I booked this hotel on a last minute deal and after i booked it, i saw the reviews. Not very comforted I emailed the hotel in hope for a good response. I was concerned about the noise and bad rooms I had heard about so I just asked them, straight up. "would it be suitable for my two kids for 4 nights?'. The next day I got the reply i wanted. they said they would do everything they can to put me in a quiet room. So we went hoping for the best and i really enjoyed my time there. the reception ladies were very lovely, we got a nice simple breakfast everymorning and dinner vouchers. Met some of the other travellers which really made it worth while and because it was raining the whole time we just closed the curtains and stayed in bed most of the day. Heater was great at night, my husband and i just slept on top with a smaller blanket. Very happy, would definately go here again for the good price and value. thanks grand hotel for making my easter weekend a good one.

Room Tip: Book premier rooms. great price. good value
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Bay of Plenty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

We've stayed at this Hotel before so knew to book the Premier rooms. Two nights for $89 a night with free continental breakfast. Choice of cereals, fruit, fruit juice, tea, coffee and toast. Even got $20 to spend in the Kiwi Ale House restaurant (was Cobb n Co last time we were there) Had a couple of local crafted brews and some spare ribs before wandering around the town. Great location, just leave the car parked and walk everywhere - close to restaurants, shopping, tourism centre and thermal pools.

I don't know but I've read some of the other comments and they seem a bit far fetched. Sure the building is old but the rooms were done up about 5 years ago. They have everything you need including internet and phone etc. We've never had a problem with the staff, although completely changed since our last visit. The rooms have always been adequately cleaned and if we needed anything we just had to ask. At the end of the day you just want a comfortable nights sleep, the rest is up to you.

Room Tip: Premier rooms are best
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Rotorua? Share your experiences!