“Nice but definately room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baden Lodge Motel

You added Baden Lodge Motel to your Saves list
Baden Lodge Motel
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   301 Fenton Street | Glenholme, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand   |
Ranked #75 of 95 Hotels in Rotorua
Hawkes Bay
“Nice but definately room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Our unit at the Baden lodge was nice, Kitchen and Room area was cosy and clean, The bed was very comfortable, Bathroom was average, Toilet was clean but the shower wasn't, mould had started to build up along the seals, and the shower glass door was coated in soap scum / water residue, I scrubbed a small area of the door whilst showering and left a nice sparkling patch on the door, it wouldn't take much to maintain a clean shower. The owner was very nice and accomodating, just unfortunate the cleaners let them down.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Only stayed here for one night. The studio apartment had everything we needed and everything was intact.
The spa pool outside in the courtyard was great.
Generally very clean and tidy. Bathroom/toilet was reasonably new.
The only thing on the downside was the hard bed upstairs - a bit uncomfortable.
Apart from that it was good - solid 4 out of 5.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New South Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

My sister and I stayed at the motel for two nights in early February and found the place to be nicely set out, convenient and comfortable and quiet accommodation. It was certainly good value for money.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

On Friday 15th January, we contacted the Baden Lodge Motel, Rotorua to enquire about accommodation for the night. We had spent the previous three nights in Turangi and were looking forward to spending a further night in Rotorua to break up our trip back to Auckland.

We stayed in the Baden Lodge Motel last year and had a good experience there - which is why we chose to contact them again. We were advised that a room was available for the night, but as the room had only two Queen beds, our 5 year old son would need to share with us.

Upon arrival at Baden Lodge Motel, I was met by the lady owner and given the key to Room 5 and completed our details on the check in card as requested. Noting the sign which asked that accounts be settled upon check-in, I asked if she would like me to pay now, but was told that payment on checkout would be fine. The lady also said that she had a spare fold-out bed which we could use for our son, which she would bring over later.

I opened the room, looked around and helped my fiancé and parents (who are visiting from England) to unload the car.

We were tired after the drive and all lay down for 45 minutes or so. I noticed that there were 3 or 4 mosquitoes on the high ceiling upstairs and realised I would need to get some Raid to kill them before we went to bed.

After we all got up from our rest to drive into town, I realised that since arriving I had received a couple of insect bites inside my jeans. As we walked around the supermarket, I realised that I was receiving increasing numbers of bites around my bottom and hips and realised that I must have a flea repeatedly biting me inside my cropped jeans.

I bought a can of Raid at the supermarket and used this to kill the mosquitoes in the upper bedroom, and to spray the inside of my jeans.

By morning I had received an enormous number of flea bites, all over my body and was suffering tremendously from the itching. I went to speak with the lady at reception, in tears because I was so upset by the discomfort and from having been bitten so extensively by fleas whilst staying in the motel.

It was already apparent that there had been an animal (or animals) in the room, as I had noticed that there was animal hair on the carpets throughout the rooms. (My son had brought me a plaster which we put on his foot in the room, which came off soon after while he was playing with his cars on the floor - and which I noticed was covered in animal hair).

When I mentioned that there must have been animals in the room, the owner admitted that she has a cat but that it isn't allowed in the rooms. She suggested that there had been a guide dog staying in the room as an explanation for where the fur had come from.

There was very little sympathy, despite my obvious distress and I returned to the room to try and treat my bites.

My distress and need to treat the bites meant that it took longer to pack up our belongings and at 10.30am we received a phone call from the male owner asking if we would be paying to stay an extra night. My father took the call and said that someone would come across to speak with him.

I went to reception and spoke with the man and asked him if he was aware of the problems which we had experienced. He said that he was not, and so I explained to him that I had received a large number of flea bites whilst staying in Room 5. In fact, my fiancé, mother and father also received a couple of flea bites each, but I was by far the worst affected. The owner's attitude was very unpleasant and I was met with a sneering and derisive demeanour - to the extent that I asked the owner if he felt that I was lying to him, as it seemed that he was laughing at me.

The owner was more concerned with telling me that no one else had ever complained, than with addressing my problems. He even went as far as to pull out a note from the bin which had been scribbled on a napkin, thanking them for the nice breakfast. They also seemed far more interested in identifying the origin of the fur on the carpets (allegedly from the guide dog) than with the fact that there were fleas in the room and that we had been bitten. I explained that whilst the rooms' carpets were not up to the expected standard of cleanliness, it was not the fur in the rooms which was my main concern. When the owners denied the carpets were dirty, I showed them samples which my fiancé had lifted from the main areas of the upstairs bedroom using clear sticky tape, which included large amounts of dirt, insect parts and fur. The lady suggested that perhaps I had just created these and I immediately offered to return to the room with her and to take further samples in her presence, which she was not prepared to do.

In fact, when she had earlier been in the property with my fiancé and he showed her in person that there was cats' hairs and dirt on the carpets throughout, she denied what she was looking at and claimed that it was simply fibres from the carpet. He then actually lifted bundles of dust clumps and hairs from the carpet in her presence to show her that it was indeed cat fur and that the carpets were dirty.

The man told me that Qualmark had inspected the property two and a half weeks ago and had ‘turned the place upside down’. I find this very difficult to believe, as the amount of dirt and accumulated fluff and hair on the carpet would have taken longer than this to build up – particularly around the beds and edges of the rooms. Either Qualmark didn’t inspect that particular room, or the inspection took place some time ago – as I do not believe that this would have been missed by their inspectors.

Furthermore, it is not possible that the amount of fur in the room was from the stay of one guide dog (if indeed this story is true) and I suspect it is far more likely to originate from the owner’s cat, which we saw sunbathing on the roof outside the window of room 5, and which could easily access the room at will, if the window was open.

I mentioned that I was not happy to pay full price for accommodation in which I had received extensive flea bites. I also explained that I was not trying to cause trouble and that I would prefer to resolve the situation amicably.

The owners were not prepared to discuss anything other than payment in full for the room - which simply wasn't acceptable to me. I suggested that the owners might like to call the police then and there if they felt it appropriate, and that we could resolve the matter in their presence. The man initially seemed to consider this, but decided against calling them.

He said that they would have to get the flea situation investigated and that if anything was found we could then talk further. I then made the suggestion that he could advise me which pest-control company he was going call, so that we could both be kept abreast of the results of their findings. At this point the lady interjected and said that she was not prepared to do that.

Despite making numerous suggestions of how we could proceed and remaining calm and polite, the owners were unhelpful, rude and unsympathetic towards me. Before we were able to reach a resolution, the lady suddenly lost her temper and became very aggressive, shouting loudly at me and ordering us to leave the property immediately - which we did.

In total I have received 47 flea bites on my body – each one of which is intensely itchy and painful. 15 of these are on my right hand and wrist, 28 are around my thighs, inner thighs and bottom, 1 on my left ear, 1 on my right arm and two on my neck. I showed the bites on my hands and neck to the owners of the Baden Lodge Motel at the time of making my complaint.

I attach photos of just some of my flea bites, the dirt on the carpets and the samples taken from the carpets with sticky tape.

Subsequent to leaving the Baden Lodge Motel, I have received three derogatory and unpleasant messages from two individuals regarding the incident, sent to my personal Facebook account – which I believe have come from the owners of the motel and which no doubt could be traced to their computer. I have not responded to the messages.

We were asked to leave the property before an agreement could be made regarding payment and were not prepared to pay in full for accommodation which was not to the advertised standard. In accordance with the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 relating to the provision of services, we are within our rights to refuse payment for services which are not fit for purpose. In this case, the room which we booked was not fit for purpose (ie habitation) due to infestation with fleas, and was not as advertised, with the carpets being unclean throughout. Consequently, we ensured that payment could not be taken from the credit card details which we had provided. My fiancé has received a voicemail from the lady at Baden Park Lodge advising us that they have contacted the police regarding the matter, and stating that “leaving because of the flea bites was pathetic”.

I take this as an admission that I was bitten by an infestation of fleas in their motel – but we left the property because we were told to, and before an agreement could be reached. Baden Park Lodge have our contact details and we are prepared to see this through at a disputes tribunal or a court of law, as they see fit. I am capable of providing glowing references from a number of properties which we have stayed at in the past few weeks – all of which have provided excellent accommodation and who would, I’m sure, be more than happy to vouch for us as reliable and honest guests.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
BadenLodgeRotorua, Owner at Baden Lodge Motel, responded to this review, September 5, 2010
Update, in May 2010 Baden Lodge won the Disputes Tribunal Hearing. It is unfortunate you had this experience. However, Baden Lodge Motel is not flea infested nor did it ever have fleas, you told us and pest control you never saw a flea. No fleas were ever seen in the unit. The unit in question was occupied from 27th Dec - 1st Feb to date. Pest Control and Rotorua District Council gave the unit in question the all clear on immediate inspection. Baden Lodge Motel has set a date for the Disputes Tribunal. When the guest received this notice she contacted us requesting we waiver the $160 she owes us in favour for no more bad reviews from her on the internet which she is blackmailing Baden Lodge Motel with. The Rotorua Police contacted this guest on the 24th March and warned her to stop harassing this motel.
Palmerston North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

I thoroughly recommend staying at Baden Lodge in Rotorua if you are ever in the area.

The rooms are excellent, the service outstanding and the facilties are amazing.

Baden Lodge is great value for money, and as a trainee travel agent, I will be recommending Baden Lodge to my future clients as THE place to stay in Rotorua.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

The unit itself got no problem but the hosts were terribly rude and not helpful after our departure! We've checked that everything was alright before we left the unit but few days later I got charged for NZ$80. I emailed to follow up and the hosts told me that there were wine stain on the carpet, bedspread & duvet and that NZ$80 was for the cleaning fee. I emailed back and told them we've never brought in any bottle of wine to the unit coz my family doesn't drink at all! Then I got an email said it might not be wine stain and might be some other drink and stuff. Fine! But then I got another email said there was a bottle of Shiraz in the rubbish bag. Then I called them to ask whether they got the date wrong and they started being rude and even hung up the phone when I was talking. Then I called again and told them it's not the money matter and I just wanna told them we're 100% sure we didn't spilt anything especially WINE in their unit!! Then they asked me why I called and talked about those if not the money matter and they said they didn't wanna go around and around in this matter coz they got business to run. So this is not part of their business to clarify matters with their guests?? TOTALLY NONSENSE!!!! Never ever stay there again!

• Stayed December 2009
Tauranga, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I chose this because it had 2 queen/dbl beds in a 1b/r unit, and as a girls weekend away, we like our own big bed to sleep in. The room was smaller than I expected, and felt quite cool, and dark. There was a gas heater which was okay. There was notice of a charge for cleaning excess dishes which I have never come across before, and came across as rude - afterall what is a motel if not 'serviced' accommodation?

We were given quite thin towels, one flannel for a 1 b/r unit, 1 small bathmat. The second day the linen situation was better, but for a very damp bathroom, there could be a better bathmat (or more). No extra towels for the spa pool either, I didn't end up using as I was out of the unit at all the appropriate spa-operating hours.

I had very little to do with the owners, but they were very pleasant and friendly when I did speak to them.

Average all around - price, room, quality. It served a purpose, but I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Baden Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!