“Accomodation ok, just small problems spoiled the stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Rotorua

You added Ibis Rotorua to your Saves list
Ibis Rotorua
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Lake End Rangiuru Street | PO Box 348, Rotorua 3010, New Zealand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 20%!
Ranked #52 of 95 Hotels in Rotorua
Hastings
“Accomodation ok, just small problems spoiled the stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Nothing wrong with the accomodation/room, just a standard Ibis hotel room, nice, clean, tiday and good value for money. 3 small problems did really spoil this stay. One computer in the 'web corner' was so slow, snail mail was quicker, I felt the staff did not appreciate orginally the slowness of the computer and that I was at fault. They had to admit that the computer was faulty, they did give me a freee 30 min wifi session, never used it. On check out had to ask for hotel credit to be addded to my account, was included in room rate but not transferred to account. If I hadn't asked they would have charged me more than I should have paid. The final problem and the one I felt really upset at was at breakfast, I had to leave the table to get additional toast from the buffet, upon returning to my table the waitress had cleared away all my dishes. I realise I could have gone and got myself a whole new breakfast, coffee and orange juice, but I was 3/4 of the way through, the coffee was just at a suitable drinking temperature. I'm not sure how to overcome this in the future, take my plate, coffee cup, glass, knife fork and spoon with me whilst getting addional breakfast items?????? take my chair with me??

Apart from that, as I have said, another standard Ibis hotel, accomodation fine, service lacking, have stayed so far 51 nights in 7 months at Accor hotels around the world and Ibis Rotorua will NOT be on my itinerary again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Kirk D, Manager at Ibis Rotorua, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
It is great to read that we continue to provide a clean and tidy Hotel and that you were able to recognise this easily as an Ibis, as we are very proud and adhere stringently to our International brand standards. Unfortunately the issue you mentioned with your plate being cleared before you had finished your meal is difficult to totally rectify. We do encounter a number of guests that often choose more from the wide selection on our buffet, than they are able to consume. Therefore we are continuously clearing dishes with food still on them. I am happy however that, yes you were able to select some new fresh items to replace these if you felt the need. The credit mentioned is for you to utilise on your stay for purchases, internet or other incidentals, not to be discounted off the room rate. Apologies for this all the same, and yes we are investigating the Internet station. It is fantastic we have the free internet stations for our guests to utilise and we are working to speed this computer up to make this service even more beneficial. Thank you for taking the time to write your response

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in 2012 December. It's a nice neat hotel and it's close to the lake rotorua. Also nearby are couple of small thermal geysers. The rooms can have more amenities since they are big. King size bed for 2 people will suit better and provides for more space in the room compared to 2 double beds. A very good feature of the hotel is to have free Internet with their desktops. Wireless is expensive here and accessible only from the lobby. Service is good. Food is not so good, but there is the famous eat street in the rotorua lakeside, so anyone coming here would most probably go there to taste the different cuisines. Ibis is also a good pickup point for many tour operators, especially the hobbiton tour which has a pickup at rotorua everyday at 8 am or so. Again, if you are not too much into hotel amenities and want to explore rotorua wonders, this place works well.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kirk D, Manager at Ibis Rotorua, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for the positive comments. We do pride ourselves on our location and our service. We are currently looking into installing wireless Internet access throughout the hotel and all the guest rooms and hope to have this up and running early in 2013. Disappointed to read that you did not rate our cuisine terribly well and I will be following this up with the team. However we have also had a number of positive reviews in regards to the menu and quality so a lot of this depends on individual opinions.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Great view!The option of one king size bed would have suited us more. Great stay otherwise. Service was friendly and efficient. Good rate for room woth a bonus $20 credit which was nice even though we didn't spend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kirk D, Manager at Ibis Rotorua, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
It is always great to see guests taking the time to post positive comments. I can suggest contacting the hotel directly prior to arrival to see if we have any rooms with a King bed available. We cannot guarantee this, but will certainly try to honour requests wherever possible. I will pass your comments onto the team, so thank you.
Waikato
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights - staff were wonderful and helpful and the place is adequate for your needs, the location is excellent for walking the town or dinning the eatstreet. We did however, the first night eat in the Ibis restaurant - the food was dreaful and therein after wlaked next door to Novotel Lakeside to eat and have breakfast which was way nicer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kirk D, Manager at Ibis Rotorua, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Sorry that your meals in the ibis did not meet the mark on this occasion. I am a little surprised however at your comments as we do get a majority of good comments about our food. I can only respond that this is a fairly isolated incident and as the 2 hotels Ibis & Novotel are connected through back of house, we do utilise chefs across the complex in both restaurants. Therefore the quality of the food, overall, is consistent within its brand at both properties. Appreciate your comments all the same and i have shared these with the team.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is just as we expected . the check-in and the check out were done quickly and efficiently. The rooms were just what we wanted and with everything you need. Carparking was behind the building and cost no extra. If not space there , there was plenty out front. Breakfast food was good choice and plentiful and tasty. And from the hotel is not far to walk to town or lakeside. And of course all the staff were friendly and showed great service attitude when doing thier duties. Reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Morrinsville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Overall stay was good. Rooms however were very small but adequate (I wouldn't have wanted to be staying any longer though). Despite booking and saying two adults and one child in each room, we were short on towels etc, but this was rectified very quickly. Friendly staff who were mostly always willing to help.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ibis Rotorua? Share your experiences!