“Not what the reviews advise - Pay the extra $$ and stay elsewhere” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Six on Union

You added Six on Union to your Saves list
Six on Union
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Union Street | Glenholme, Rotorua 3201, New Zealand   |
Ranked #34 of 95 Hotels in Rotorua
Nowra, Australia
“Not what the reviews advise - Pay the extra $$ and stay elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Although we didn't stay the night - first impressions count. We arrived early and decided to see if it was possible to check in. It was ok by reception so we drove around to the back of the premises and got our bags out. We were on the top floor and the owner I presumed walked in front, meanwhile myself and mother had to carry our heavy bags upstairs. The lady asked the man to help with our bags and his response was I have something heavy in the hands he was holding his cup of coffee or tea. The room was average, no electric blankets on the bed, the room was cold and the heater was on. The door on the room was frosted glass which is not appealing. I booked this hotel from the reviews of Trip Adviser I was aware it was not 5 star but thought it would be ok for the night. I received a call from my partner who was in Taupo and that I would need to go back to Taupo for the night. I am glad that we didn't stay as I think I would have left regardless of our change of plans. I went downstairs to advise and ask about cancelling and the man advised that I would have to pay the full fee. I paid the $99 and we got our bags and left. If we were to stay I would have asked for our money back. We were to stay in Rotorua the next night coming from Taupo but just headed to Auckland. I would not stay here, pay the extra $$ and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
, Owner at Six on Union, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Yes, it was okay by reception(me referred to as 'the man' the owner) to check in early. I asked you to drive & park around the back, while I got the key & a jug of milk. My partner, who was walking passed as I came out of the office back door said carry their bags. I replied that I had to put the milk in the room & would come back down for the bags, but you followed directly behind me with your bags. I then returned to the office & heard your phone conversation about not being able to stay because someone in Taupo couldn't drive (which you confirmed when you came to the office to check out, no mention of you wouldn't have stayed here anyway). When asked I explained the cancellation fee which you were aware of having booked via a website. This is a standard charge made by the majority of accommodation providers.

I feel this review is unfair & based on the fact that you were charged because your plans changed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We picked this place as it was recommended in our Lonely Planet guide for places to stay. It was freezing cold, didn't seem to have a working heater. Sheets/linens were old. Too cold to actually use the shower. There are plenty of other places to stay in this area that aren't much more in terms of expense, so I would avoid this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
, Owner at Six on Union, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
I'm sorry if you were cold but all of our units have a large radiator which most people feel is sufficient to heat the room, these are all in working order. It's a pity you didn't mention it at the time, we want our guests to be comfortable & have spare portable heaters available. As for the linen, all of our sheets, bath & hand towels were replaced in February of this year (when we changed laundry supplier) so I find that comment very unfair.
Feedback is important to us but it is helpful if it is made at the time so that we can at least attempt to rectify any problems.
Luxor, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

We happened to drive by, looking for somewhere good to stay, owners were very welcoming and friendly even though we have not booked. We have 2 children so ended up with a room with 2 beds in the rounge and 1 in a separate bedroom. Room was clean, tidy with kitchen and bathroom. Pretty much everything you would expect from a Motel at a good price. Will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Really quiet location but within easy walking distance to everything. The owners were very helpful with recommending & booking activities for us. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

This hotel is tired and run-down. It's also in a neighborhood that seemed pretty economically depressed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

The rooms are basic, but it is a motel so I guess they are what you can expect.
The owner was very nice, he even took us to a place we wanted to see with his car when we asked him about how to get there.
The town itself is a smelly but very interesting place, don't miss the geothermal parks.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Check in was quick and staff was extra friendly. Had a 1 bedroom unit (2 double beds), so we could spread out in the front living space. I love having a kitchen to make breakfast before heading out on a busy day. The grocery store is conveniently located just 1/2 block away. They had a private small pool we did not use but looked nice, but we used the large jacuzzi tub which was great after a day of walking. The area is quiet and a couple blocks off the main street of Rotorua. You can walk safely walk to the CBD but it would take10-15 mins. All the tours we went on had someone pick us up right at the motel. They had a washing machine we could have used (I think it was $2 per load). We didn't have a car, but there was parking available. Small motel which is why we picked it. Friendly & helpful staff.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Six on Union? Share your experiences!