“Good sized room. I liked it anyway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of RotoVegas Motel of Rotorua

Save Saved
You added RotoVegas Motel of Rotorua to your Saves list
RotoVegas Motel of Rotorua
4.0 of 5 Motel   |   249 Fenton Street, Rotorua 3010 , New Zealand (Formerly Heywoods Motel)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #4 of 94 hotels in Rotorua
Dublin, Ireland
“Good sized room. I liked it anyway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

The room and bathroom are of good size and we found them to be very well maintained and clean. The gentleman in charge when we arrived was very friendly and helpful. He told us that he is not the manager but he was just keeping an eye on the place while his daughter was away. The location is just slightly out of the centre but only a few minutes walk. If you like junk food the are numerous places within a 2 minute walk and there is also a supermarket, off licence and fruit store right across the road.
If you have the weather for it there is also a pool and a grassy area where you can lie out.
We were probably lucky that we were not on the ground floor. I did notice some other reviewers mentioning their view. If you were in one of those few rooms on the left as you enter the complex you will be looking straight at a wall and people walking past all the time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

We stayed at Heywoods over a weekend as part of a sports group and were super-impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and are in the process of some lovely renovations. Great location, great price and a great stay!

• Stayed November 2010
Rotorua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed at Heywoods for just one night my family of 17 Adults and 9 Children one would say a rather large group. This young couple were more then accomodating with value and time. We were allowed to check in slightly earlier, fortunate not to have anyone staying in our rooms the night before. Our rooms were tidy and comfortable and the spa rooms did not disapoint!. Im rather fussy on beds however these were quiet lovely to sleep on. Our outside heated pool was well used by many of our group and its location to all amenities is alone well worth the stay!. The value coupled with the fantastic warm welcome and accomodating hosts is a tribute to good kiwi services!...Well Done Bryce and Natalie you are both highly reccomended.
PS: Best wishes to your growing family :o)

• Stayed August 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

After a very bad experience with another motel we walked in here and asked to see a room first before booking. That was not a problem, she (the owner) was very friendly and showed me around the place. They had a pool and sauna that I didn't use but looked clean, and the room came with the biggest spa I have EVER seen in a hotel/motel room (and I worked in over 20 hotels!). Very friendly owner with lots of tips on what to do and where to go, and she even brought us some of her fresh baking (complementary). Very impressed, if I go back to Rotorua this will be the place I will stay and have recommended the place to several people.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

We recently stayed at Heywoods and were pleasantly surprised. This motel offers everything Rotorua is known for at a very reasonable price (under $100 NZ). The room was clean and spacious. We had a kitchnette that was great for self catering. This motel has the biggest spa pools that we have encountered in NZ and you can fill them with fresh water so no bathing in other peoples water.The outdoor heated pool was as warm as the Polynesian pool and a lot more private. There is also a Sauna and mineral pool and newly installed gym. The new managers at Heywoods have really made a difference and went out of their way to make sure everything was great without being invasive. It is an easy walk to town about 5 minutes and you are surronded by good quality restaurants and cafes. The managers can book you a table at the skyline restaurant that includes pick up and return from motel at a very reasonable rate. (This restaurant is the best we have eaten at in NZ with unbelievable views over Rotorua).
Heywoods is not rated 5 star so dont stay here if thats what you want but if you are looking for excellent value for money dont go anywhere else!!!! We will be back!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
new plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

i have stayed at heywoods about 4 times over the past few years and have had a good stay everytime. The staff are friendly and i have taken friends there. Im in my early 20s so my freinds and i love that heywoods is affordable. Its nice and quiete so we used the hot pool outside often. i found that each time i stayed there was always an extra bed or 2 in the room. And the private spa is awsome!!! i only posted this comment to rectify a poor review i read. i actually came online looking to book another stay here for a suprise weekend with my husband...well be back!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Burlington, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

We stayed in Rotorua for 2 nights in April 2006 at Heywoods. I had booked it online after viewing their web site. The web site makes it look very good...not so. We were in a 2 bedroom that was positioned between the main reception and the cleaning area with garbage bins right outside our door. Through our window we got to watch the cleaning crew and manager traipse back and forth. The rooms were small, dark and not clean. The lounge area only had a small table and 4 dining chairs. No sofa or comfy chairs to sit on just a single bed with a dirty bedspread. The outdoor pool was adequate but the location was not very appealing. The spa was scary looking and had so much chlorine in it..it hurt my eyes just to walk past it. The main bedroom did have a private spa tub off of it outside but we didn't use it as the smell of Rotorua made our eyes burn and we couldn't imagine enjoying an outdoor spa. Other than our accomodation and the smell, Rotorua was great! Lots of things to do and great Maori culture. If we went again I would not stay at Heywoods Motor Lodge.

• Stayed April 2006
2EE, Leasee/Managers at RotoVegas Motel of Rotorua, responded to this review, September 2, 2006
Firstly, we are the new Leasees of Heywoods Motor Lodge and when we were asked by the owner to take on the business just over a year ago, the previous Leasees had run it down pretty badly. So badly in fact that the sheets had to be thrown out, the towels were all pilled. It was very embarrassing booking people into the units so we spent a lot of our savings to buy quality linen and towels over the first 2 months. My husband and I owned our own motel for 10 years and I did all the cleaning and I can say that I do pride myself on being meticulous when it comes to cleaning - you only need to ask the staff we have at Heywoods that I am very particular. I would like to know what these people are referring to as being dirty? It saddens me that people can't be open and honest and tell us straight if there was something dirty about the unit as I would have taken it upon myself to rectify the problem. Alternatively I would have been happy to refer them to another motel or hotel. I vaguely recall the father coming to the office and saying his daughter had very sore eyes from the swimming pool. I told him that his daughter should not open her eyes under the water and that it was a regulation to chlorinate the pool for hygiene purposes - I think he took exception to this comment but it should be a known fact that all public swimming pools are kept well chlorinated. There was mention about the 'smell' of Rotorua. The smell is called sulphur and there is no getting away from this unless you are booked into an airconditioned hotel. We certainly aren't the newest Motel in Rotorua but I like to think we are one of the cleanest. I would like to make one more comment - we have just had a Swiss Mountain Bike Team (a contingency of 47) staying at Heywoods Motor Lodge for the World Championships. They were here for a period of 12-14 days and we were thanked very much by their Manager, Physio, parent helpers and their Chef. We certainly did not receive any complaints about Heywoods Motor Lodge being dirty. I welcome any comments please.

Been to RotoVegas Motel of Rotorua? Share your experiences!