“what a waste of money” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 69 Activities in Rotorua
Type: Hot Springs/ Geysers, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Wellness & Spas
More attraction details
Owner description: New Zealand's only geothermal mud bath complex where visitors can immerse themselves in the silky smooth warm geothermal mud and sulphurous waters of the Hells gate thermal reserve that have been used by the Maori for more than 700 years for healing and wellbeing. A unique iconic New Zealand visitor experience. The Wai Ora Spa also features the unique 'New Zealand Cultural Spa Experience' with traditional Maori massage, facials and body treatments
Barooga
29 attraction reviews
“what a waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Entrance to Hells Gate is an additional cost to the mud baths. The mud bath was a concrete pit, surrounded by a fence, filled with muddy water with about an inch of mud in the bottom. You had to scrape the mud up with your finger tips to find any. I expected a mud bath to be filled with mud!!! Don't waste your money. Keep the mud and water away from your eyes, my eyes watered badly for hours afterwards.

• Polish first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
“Worth seeing it all for yourself and getting the real deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I visited Hells Gate on a class Famil to Rotorua with the group from my travel college. I found it fascinating to see all the mud pools, baths and learn about how it all came to be. There was a walk that took about an hour and went through many and many different types of geothermal pools which was very interesting. I liked how the tour guide allowed us to rub clay between our hands and explain how it was a natural beauty product and then after washing it off, my skin was smooth. I found that to be a nice touch to the tour, as well as added flax weaving and wood carvings. They had a lovely gift shop with alot of mud face masks and souvenirs.

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
“Really awful, dirty and mis managed, if I was a Maori I would be disgusted.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Very run down, no organisation and dirty. Had to carry around our own bin with belongings not issued with towels or robes. Unable to get in contact with management, to discuss our issues. Girls weekend turned into a rather unpleaseant experience.
$155.00 over priced
It is supposed to be the Maori experience, but Aunty was unavailable!
Very bad for our tourism if this is the one place they will be stopping off at.

Brisbane
3 attraction reviews
“Bathing in other people's PUBIC HAIRS - YUK!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We came here for mud baths and spas, having been told it was less touristy than some other places in Rotorua. It was disgusting. We lasted 2 minutes in the so-called Mud Bath before realising we were bathing in the debris of goodness-knows how many other people before us. Sitting in the grey concrete trough, we picked up handfuls of the mud we were immersed in, to rub onto ourselves as per the pictures in the brochures. My first handful revealed a long black hair. That made me wonder about the cleanliness. But the second handful was what did it for us - it was full of dozens of grey pubic hairs! We couldn't get out of there fast enough. A vile experience.

Melbourne, Australia
14 attraction reviews
“Amazing thermal area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Beautiful spot to explore, surreal sights of boiling mud, and steaming lakes. Great length of walk to show young children thermal wonders. Very friendly and helpful staff. Cafe very underwhelming, shame, they could do better.

Visited September 2011