“Spa heaven” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 95 Hotels in Rotorua
Sydney, Australia
“Spa heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Good hotel and the people at the desk when we arrived were really lovely and full of ideas for us.We wanted a hot spa and instead of having to pay for one elsewhere we were able to use the spas on the lower level sof the hotel-very relaxing and erereshing after a long drive.Hotel is close to all shops and restaurants and an easy walk to the lake.The room is a bit dated but was clean and tidy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
FMcKenzie, General Manager at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Greetings from Novotel Rotorua Lakeside

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Ashford, Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here in September 2012 as part of our honeymoon to New Zealand. Hotel is in a good location in Rotorua and there is free car parking. The rooms are in need of re-furbishment in my opinion and are quite dated. The night before we stayed at the Novotel Wellington and the rooms were a lot nicer than this hotel. Breakfast was very good and the leisure facilities are ok.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FMcKenzie, General Manager at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I am glad you enjoyed our location and free car parking.
I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed 3 nights, Our rooms where clean, we ate at the restaurant the three nights with 2 young children and found it perfect for what we required.
We had a issue with a missing phone which was reported to the Duty Manager and General Manager was very disapointed the General Manager did not make any contact with us after we left the hotel to give us a report of his findings. A lady from Accor did try to ring us on the way home but we lost contact as travelling by car and she never returned her call either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
FMcKenzie, General Manager at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and have been able to contact you to clarify the situation.

Fraser McKenzie
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Typical large chain hotel, no character. Rooms were good. We had a lake facing room so we had a fantastic view. Hotel is well located and within walking to most attractions in the city centre, Polynesian Spa, Museum, Blue Pools etc as well as main street shopping. The big plus for us was the breakfast which included the best range of Gluten free food that we have seen in a hotel anywhere in our travels. My wife, who is gluten intolerant was able to enjoy a full breakfast, including cereals and toast.

Room Tip: Recommend it if you are gluten intolerant.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FMcKenzie, General Manager at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your review of Novotel Rotorua Lakeside.
It is great to read that we delivered great dining options and service.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you.
HAMILTON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Beware the debit visa pre-authorisation! I handed over my VD card for the security on my room and they took $300 out of my account for 2 nights accomodation for 2 people. They did not tell me how much they had taken and were unable to provide me with a receipt!!! On ringing my bank i was shocked to find the amount that Novotel had taken from my account. Upon settlement of my accomodation - i was going to pay by eftpos -and the EFTPOS was down, i do not have a credit card and the pre-authorisation amount taken from my account had reduced my account balance to $20. Not enough to clear my account. My elderly mother offered to pay by her own personal cheque which was refused. (she and i were both extremely embarrased at this situation). I ended up sorting this out by using my VD pre-authorisation plus between myself and my mother paying the balance in cash. I was disappointed that they do not use the swipe signature system incases of the EFTPOS being down. The Pre-authorisation was cleared from my account, but i was disappointed that when booking my accomodation and stating i did not have a credit card i was not informed about the large $ they would require for room security. I guess as I am rather niave using hotel accomodation and a Debit Card I didnt know the questions to ask.
THe other concern we had was that my elderly mother does not like lifts This was discussed upon booking the room, no problem as far as the novotel was concerned so we thought we would have a room on a ground floor. wrong - they dont have them. Thankfully we were allocated accomodation on only level 2 of the novotel, but upon enquiring at reception upon check-in about her using stairs instead of the lifts we were told that there wasnt any???? So it was a stressful time getting into and out of the hotel for my mother. There is no evacuation plan on the wall or back of doorway in the room, it is in the compendium(in English) but it seems an odd place to have it where it is hidden away.The shower was over the bath, a tricky manoeuver for elderly people or people with limited mobility. There was also a loud noisy party in the room next to us, but I rang Reception at midnight and it was dealt with appropriately. The view over the lake is superb, and the location of the novotel is fantastic, close to the city centre and eating facilities.

Room Tip: Go for lake view room, morning sun comes in. Comfy beds. Not suitale for all family members, more de...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
FMcKenzie, General Manager at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments.
We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. It is always our aim to exceed expectations, and I was very disappointed to read that we let you down and sincerely apologise for this.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

The overall experience was excellent, I loved the extra touches such as business card holders , spring water and newspaper waiting in the room. However... The shower head was caked in limescale and black mould, and black mould all over the towel rack. The toilet bowl was heavily water stained. These are inexcusable in a hotel such as this.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Valued Guest

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing.
Feedback is important and allows us to monitor our performance.
I have taken note and will follow up the issues.

Thank you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

CS was great and that's it. The room we were in, the toilet/ bathroom was shocking!!!!! I will add the pix very soon. This was birthday weekend. Don't think I will ever stay there AGAIN!!!!! The manager check the rooms. Very disappointing really. As I said SHOCKING :(

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your review.
We strive to provide an outstanding and superior experience for every guest; and I sincerely apologise that we let you down on this occasion.

Regards

Been to Novotel Rotorua Lakeside? Share your experiences!