“Friendly staff and spacious public spaces” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Hotel Rotorua

Save Saved
You added Millennium Hotel Rotorua to your Saves list
Millennium Hotel Rotorua
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Eruera & Hinemaru Streets, P.O. Box 1044, Rotorua, New Zealand   |
Ranked #58 of 94 hotels in Rotorua
Sandy, Beds
“Friendly staff and spacious public spaces”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed for two nights on a B&B package, was upgraded to a Club room on the 5th floor, access via The Club but was not granted the use of Club facilities. Our room was everything we needed with a large kingsize bed. Plenty to choose from at the ground floor buffet breakfast.
We ate in the dining room each evening, entertaining a friend on the first night, starters, main courses and dessert were acceptable but spoiled by main courses served on cold plates. My venison was tender but almost cold. My wife had prawns and unfortunately was was quite ill some 5 hours later. The cost of wines was very high.
On the second night it was advertised as Wednesday special Lobster, we were very disappointed with the size and the amount of available lobster meat in the shell. I complained, received many apologies and a 20% reduction of the total cost of the meal. i was amazed that they could advertise this as a "Special" and then produce such poor specimens.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I'm pleased you did enjoy the cultural show you attended off site. We hope you do return to our destination in the future and sample more of what our region has to offer. With thanks.

543 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here for a night this week on a business trip and was lucky enough to be upgraded to a room on the Club floor at the top of the five floor hotel.

My room was very quiet and the air conditioning was very effective. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom appeared recently refitted. It was clean and nicely appointed with quality toiletries.

There was a pleasant continental buffet breakfast in the club lounge on my floor with a good range of cereals, fruits and even my favourite Vogels bread.

The front desk service was very good with the woman even giving me my room number discretely as I checked in to avoid other guests hearing it. She said she likes to do this for women guests obviously travelling alone.

The hotel is in a good location with a comfortable walk through to Fenton Street and the main restaurant area. Plus the Polynesian Pools are very close by (not that I could enjoy that this time). All in all, a very good night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
A comfortable and restful night is a must when you're away on business, so I am glad we were able to assist. We do have a very convenient location, so hope if you do travel through this way again, that you get to sample the relaxing Polynesian Spa on your next visit.
With Thanks.
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in November - lovely hotel, our room overlooked Late Rotorua.
Nice full buffet breakfast in the morning and we ate in the restaurant one evening which was also good.
The only draw back was there was a large conference on the weekend we were there which mean the main lobby area was always very crowded and parking was a little limited, once that was finished it was fine.
Recommend you go over to the Polynesian Spa - lovely!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I am pleased you enjoyed your lakeview room and our in house dining and thank you for taking time out to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. I hope the busy lobby wasn't too inconvenient for you and yes the Polynesian Spa is a perfect place for that luxurious soak and is definitely highly recommended.
We hope you get to return again.
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

On 17th & 18th November 2012 I stayed at The Millenium Hotel, Rotorua, NZ, with my family ( cousin ).
It was FANTASTIC, RELAXING, and WONDERFUL, and I Highly Recommend it, to other travellers.
The swimming pool was a steady, beautiful, pleasant 29 degrees , no matter what time of day and was a REALLY PLEASANT Experience, and so soothing, relaxing and stress-free. Highly Recommended.
The breakfast buffet was STUPENDOUSLY YUMMY and plenty of variety and yummily tasty and cooked superb, covering evry type of delectable tastebud. Forget the diet, the food is JUST FANTASTIC and LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Highly Recommended.
My room was absolutely well appointed and very private and blissfully QUIET and DISCREET and PEACEFUL !!!!!!!!! Just what I wanted. Highly recommended.
Very pleasant staff and reception and QUICK, QUIET and FAST SERVICE ! Highly recommended.
Having travelled to USA, and Australia and 5 -star hotels, I found this weekend stay ABSOLUTELY RELAXING, WONDERFUL AND FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I highly Recommend this hotel and its very USER-Friendly.!!!!!!!!! Cheers, ENJOY, because I did !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your complimentary comments and likwise great recommendations, we do appreciate it. It sounds like you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed our facilities so do come back !
Kind Regards.
Methven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We booked the Millennium on-line based on its location and star rating. We did get a very good on-line deal.

Location in Rotorura is excellent – only a short walk to most things and Polynesian Spa is immediately behind the Millennium.

We arrived to a very warm and informative welcome which was nice considering we were a little tired from driving for a while. There was a large conference in for the entire duration of our stay and several tour bus groups came and went while we were here.

Our wind was a little old and maintained OK, but a little more attention to detail in the halls would be good, especially vacuuming the edges of the halls as they were just a little dusty. The size, furnishing and cleanliness of the room we had was great. The daily room service was also very good – no complaints there.

I did have an issue with noise: With so many groups coming and going at all hours, many of the guests did talk rather loudly in the halls. Whilst the management can not manage this, they could have better soundproofing around the doors, as our felt/rubber door stop was complete gone/worn out. This also led to the next problem, the automated door closer on each room is too abrupt and slams the doors and you get about two hours or so of slamming doors in the evening and again in the night: Not conducive to restful sleep or sleep in. Having said this, the third night of our stay was not as bad as we noticed not so many tour groups in and our floor was quieter.

We did the Feast and Cultural Performance which we quite enjoyed.

We would consider staying again, but would negotiate a quieter room/location in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay with us and pleased you received a great on line deal and subsequent warm welcome on arrival. I am sorry you experienced noise from other guests; we do try to notify others to lower the noise levels if we are aware of it. I have also notified our maintenance team in regard to your comment about the door closers and these will be checked to see if any need re-adjusting to prevent the door slamming.
Thank you again.
Auckland, NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here for 3 days for recent conference. The hotel has been the same for many years now and is in need of a revamp. I have stayed there on and off for 20 years now and the place hasn't really changed. Had breakfast the first morning and decided to head into town the remaining 2 mornings. It was cold and poorly cooked, and making your own toast took forever!
The staff are generally very helpful and the bar staff both nights looked after us. The room I had was on the bottom floor and felt a bit like a cave.
Overall, I will opt to stay elsewhere in Rotorua from now on.

Room Tip: Try to get a room upstairs if you can... Better views and better appointed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
I have discussed your comments regarding breakfast with the Executive Chef and apologise if breakfast was not up to standard on the day your dined. I am pleased our staff were helpful and that you were otherwise well looked after. I note your comment in regard to a revamp and can advise we do have plans for refreshing areas in 2013 so hope that we do see you return some time in the future. Best Regards.
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is one of the best hotel in New Zealand, clean and tidy, location is very central. We had an enjoyable and very pleasant experience with the staff so friendly, helpful and caring. The Nikau Restaurant offers scrumptious meals at a very reasonable and affordable prices. I would not have second thoughts in recommending the hotel with family and friends.

Room Tip: We stayed at the second level of the hotel, although there is a bit sulphur smell, it is not really...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your complimentary remarks regarding the friendly and caring staff you encountered during your recent stay with us we are fortunate to have a great team on board. I'm glad you also enjoyed your meal in Restaurant Nikau and appreciate you recommending us to your family and friends should they travel this way. Kind Regards.

Been to Millennium Hotel Rotorua? Share your experiences!