“Awful” 2 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   349 Fenton Street, Rotorua 3201, New Zealand   |
Ranked #76 of 94 Hotels in Rotorua
“Awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed booked for two nights in #29 one bedroom unit. When we arrived we thought it looked shabby, we moved in to the dark small room and I looked around and knew this was going to be bad. The window was open and wasn't shut so I went to reception and told them that the window wouldn't shut. They said that they would fix it. We get back 3-4 hours later nothing has been done. So we call reception and they move us into #31 but the bed had legs missing so they have to replace it. We also asked them to turn the heaters on, so they came in and said they were already turned on. We went out again and came back at 8:30 wanting to watch TV. We switch it on. Nothing. So we call reception. They come and look at it, they said they will replace it. 10 minutes later we are told that the sulphur rotted the cable so the area has no TV. We then realized the room was freezing. The heaters weren't on, not even touched. We then had went to bed. I was on the fold out bed. The mattress was way to thin and the springs were uncomfortable. Not to mention the fan buzzing and the heater rattling, we had a awful sleep. We then woke up and went to the dining hall for the "continetal breakfast" of weetbix, cornflakes or musesli. By then we had enough and booked out. We went across the road to the "Regal Palms" which was lovely. It had sky TV comfy beds and lovely staff. I highly recommend the Reagal Palms, the price is a bit dearer but definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2013
SophieAuckland, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We do regret that a few things went wrong during your stay.

During your stay the aerial feeders in the roof did fail to work, the feeders have worked perfectly for the last 15 years, but with regret the sulphur had managed to damage the feeders and had to be replaced, and with regret it happened at 7pm, whilst we did manage to repair this and replace the feeder in the roof, it did take us until 9.30pm to achieve this, it is just one of those things you can not control, but at least it is only once every 15 years.

I do appreciate you were with your 8 and 10 year old grand children and obviously choose to let the young grand children sleep in the queen and single bed, whilst you slept on the fold out couch, I do appreciate that the fold out couch would not have been suitable to you, however most young children enjoy sleeping on them.

We do have one bedroom apartments with a queen and two single beds, which would have been more suitable to you, this configuration can be booked online, as can the one bedroom configuration with a queen, single and fold out couch, if you do book the wrong configuration just let us know and we will change rooms, subject to availability.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I thought this place was really good. My partner and I went on a spur of the moment trip out of Auckland and this place was perfect price wise. I see a lot of negative comments on the decor and really, you do get what you pay for. You can not expect to pay such low prices and still have 5 star rooms. For two nights this place was fantastic! The pool was lovely at 30degrees. We had an electric blanket and a HUGE radiator to keep us warm at night when the temperature dropped to 5degrees one night! The only thing I would have liked was if the kitchen-ette thing had a sink. I wasn't quite sure where to wash up our plates, so I didn't. The location is brilliant and close to everything. Can't comment on the spa because we didn't pay the extra for it and no comment on the breakfast because we never got up early enough for it. Haha. I would stay here again with no argument

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
We thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated, and it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We do have a great housekeeping team that do keep the rooms very clean

Whilst the rooms are in a good condition, we will be starting a refurbishment plan which we are aiming to get underway in two months time.

We look forward to you staying with us again
Giborne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Good value for money if you are over 55. Found unit to be clean tidy and warm. A bit dated but comfortable and a good size. Manager had a good sence of humour. Central position would stay again at this value.

Room Tip: just say you are over 55
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SophieAuckland, Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments, and your recommendation of our Senior rate, I am pleased you found the wording of our promotion amusing

Look forward to seeing you again
Auckland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Cheap for one night if you don't mind old run down,drafty wind noise coming through windows & door.
Good location for Wakarewarewa Maori Park - but units need help badly. Mineral spa bath had big ring of grime around it. Did have big radiator heater so wasn't cold.

Room Tip: Look at it first
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at this place. I didn't use the pool so can't comment on that but it was disappointing that the spa pools were closed. The room was clean and functional and I thought it was good value for the price. I would have left this place happy but for two things.
1) At check out there was nothing more than a transaction to pay for the room. No asking "how was your stay?", "Did you enjoy your time in Rotorua, etc?" Just simple customer service that was missing.
2) I realised 4 days later that I had left an two expensive jackets in the wardrobe (one down jacket, one heavy wool, a total over $600). I called and found that they had been placed in their lost property, but I was frustrated that they hadn't called when they had all my contact details (I could have picked them up that day). When I went to pick it up several weeks later I asked what the policy was and they said they are required by law to hold items for three months. Now I don't expect that every little item left behind deserves a follow up phone call, but when items are clearly expensive I expect a customer focussed business to give me a call. If they had, I'd be using them again as they didn't they've lost my business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I am most disappointed to receive these comments.

We had felt we had provided great customer service, we certainly did our best to accommodate you, we re call you had your mountain bike with you and we stored that for you everyday and we chatted about your ride each day.

We were certainly aware of the two coats, on the day you checked out, you rang the hotel to see if you had left the jackets and advised us they were in the twin bedroom, as you were staying in a two bedroom. The Manager went to the room and found the jackets and called you back to let you know they were here, the Manager asked if you would like to arrange to have them returned to you by courier, but you advised you would be back in Rotorua in a few days time and would pick them up, which is what happened.

We are not sure what else you would like us to have carried out.

Kind Regards
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Booked 3 nights at this hotel with an online broker. Exceptionally disappointed. Room did not match description. No TV in bedroom. Spa pool broken. Tired interior, chipped furniture and holes in walls. Over a month after our stay the hotel charged us again as the online company we had booked with had gone into administration. The hotel made no attempt to contact us before taking money from our bank account. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. WORST HOTEL WE HAVE EVER STAYED IN.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We do understand that you were very happy with your stay, which was three months ago, but are now not happy because we have charged you directly for your room.

As you are aware you made a reservation through check-in.com.au and you fully paid them for your reservation, when you checked into the Hotel you signed our registration form that simply states you are required to pay for your accommodation, and that if the party you paid does not pay us then we can charge you direct.

In this situation check-in.com did not pay, and we charged your credit card direct. We did contact you direct and we did provide the instructions as how to make a claim against check-in.com.

We also explained this to you over the phone, we did make every effort to ensure you did know what was happenning.

We regret this situation, but it was out of our control, you may also beable to claim on your travel insurance.

We are well aware that you did not have any issue with the accommodation and did enjoy your stay, what has tranished your stay if that the booking agent you used, with regret, was not able to pay for your accommodation, and I appreciate you now have to make a claim against check-in.com, which I do appreciate is not something you want to do.

Once again I am very sorry this occurred, and I am sorry if you feel we did not explain this to you fully, I do hope you appreciate it the matter was out of our control.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

room #24 was very outdated and felt grotty, had to shut the window from the outside didnt even have a latch to lock it! toilet leaked, spa was out of order, pool tepid and mini golf was pretty much unusable as the turf was lifting these were one of the features that made our booking decision, glad it was only one night and the continental breakfast was complimentary

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SophieAuckland, Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

We do appreciate your feedback, we were not aware there was a slight leak at the back of the toilet and this has now been repaired.

The pool is heated from a thermal bore, and the temperature does vary from morning to night, but the pool is kept at a very warm temperature such that guests are still swimming at 10 at night.

The mini golf is swept everyday, as at this time of year the leaves are still falling, but do do endeavour to keep the mini golf clear of leaves at all times.

We are continually upgrading the rooms, and we do hope to see you again in the future

Been to SilverOaks Resort Heritage? Share your experiences!