“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Copthorne Hotel Rotorua

You added Copthorne Hotel Rotorua to your Saves list
Copthorne Hotel Rotorua
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fenton St, Rotorua, New Zealand (Formerly Kingsgate Hotel Rotorua)   |
Ranked #78 of 94 Hotels in Rotorua
Wellington, New Zealand
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed as got a good deal on wot if.com. The tarrif was $110 including a $50 food/beverage credit. It was actually really good ! Decor a little tired, but lovely pool that opens at 7am...perfect for the kids and the staff changed our room to be closer to the pool. Spent our food credit on a very good meal from room service. A special mention as the service was excellent. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I was very pleased to read we delivered a good level of service and that the promotional offer we are running suited your budget and needs. We hope we have the pleasure of hosting your family and yourself in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had fun at Rotorua ,the rooms are pretty clean.
The breakfast are pretty good as well.
We didn't go try the spa, but we think we may gonna try it next time.
The value are just right, it a good value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you kindly for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed our hotel and that you plan to return. We look forward to hosting you.
Redland City, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed in Rotorua for 3 nts over New Years. We had been staying in self contained apartments during the rest of our travels and thought a hotel with buffet breakfast would be a nice change - especially considering 2 of the 3 nights we had planned evenings out for dinner anyway. The Room was great for families with a queen bed and 2 x single beds. Not much room between beds but no less than any other hotel room. Facilities were as you'd expect, with tea/coffee, small fridge, hair dryer. There were only 3 towels for the 4 of us when we arrived but the housekeeping staff were most happy to provide extras and always had a smile when they popped in to clean. The reception staff were efficient and helpful. The buffet breakfast did not disappoint with a great variety of cooked food, cereals, pastries, fruits etc. - a great way to fuel up for our daily trips around the fascinating city. Probably just a little too far out of the CBD for younger children to walk, but we had the car so wasn't a prob. About 1.5km to main CBD. Only disappointment is that the pool was a little chilly for us and we were looking forward to a hot spa on our last night - but we found they were in private locked rooms and you had to book and over this time we were advised they were all booked and we couldn't get in.

Room Tip: The ground floor courtyard side rooms were convenient as they had a "back door" direct acc...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thak you kindly for your review. I was pleased to read we provided a good level of service and that it made your holiday hassle free. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Never judge a book by its cover. Looks maybe deceiving!!!! Old rooms, old furniture ie Tv, HAIRDRYER that looked like it was from the 1800's century or something, paint fading, dodgey looking plates, spoons utensils.

Oh and Don't Even Get Me Started On There Gym!!!!

Has it even been cleaned ever????? Smelt so rank like crap. I have never been in a gym that has smelt that bad!!! Not to mention no air-con or fans.

Worst experience ever.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your review. I have raised the cleanliness of the gym with our housekeeping team as this area gets serviced everyday and I do know we do have a huge volume of guests utilizing this facility. I would suggest depending on your time of using the gym there may have been many other guests before you as it is open from 7am right through to 10.30pm. We do know some of our rooms are dated and we are programming a refurb in the not so distant future. Thank you again for your constructive feedback, it is always a very welcoming tool.
Auckland Central, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I was very disappointed in this hotel. Rooms were very tired and in need of a renovation. Bathrooms were dirty. We Had visitors with us from Australia so after I had told them it was 4 stars we were very disappointed and a little embarrassed. I definitely think there needs to be a review on the standard of the hotel. Staff were very friendly. But no access to Internet from our room was disappointing aswel. Overall very disappointed and would not stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to read your concerns and I have raised this with heads of departments concerned. Our custome comments are a valuable tool for our hotel to take on board and ensure we deliver a memorable service. I do apologise for the lack of service you mentioned and pleae be assured this has been taken seriously. Thak you again for your comments.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Rooms are fine, nothing special. But there's no ability to control the heating in the room and it was incredibly hot! Had to sleep with the door open and had a poor nights sleep. Also very few channels on the TV. A budget hotel for sure. Much better options in Rotorua.

Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your review. I am unsure the reason for the heat control but I do receommend a quick call to reception as I know they would have offered a solution to the heat problem or a possble upgrade to a airconditioned room on availability.
Burnie, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as this was the hotel included in my AAT Kings tour. I was immediately disappointed. Very tired, old hotel. My room was absolutely not up to standard. I can not believe this place is listed as 4 star. For what I paid for that tour I am incredibly disappointed in the standard of the hotel and my room. I will be speaking with my travel agent about this place.

Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I do know parts of our hotel are aged and we do plan to start revamping areas of the hotel in late March early April. I regret to hear your stay was not up to your standard although we do try our very best to upgrade where possible. Your comments have been taken on board as a valuable tool to help us work towards regaining your faith in our product. Thank you again.

Been to Copthorne Hotel Rotorua? Share your experiences!