“Put me off motels” 1 of 5 stars
Review of SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland

Save Saved
You added SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland to your Saves list
SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   424 Fenton Street, Rotorua 3201, New Zealand (Formerly Quality Hotel Geyserland)   |
Ranked #86 of 94 hotels in Rotorua
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Put me off motels”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice view of the thermal pools and geysers. The girl at reception was helpful but the motel was terrible. Nose picking on the blankets and tiles off the walls in the bathroom- ideal for backpackers :)

• Stayed February 2013

224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I don't even know where to begin to describe my total and utter dissatisfaction with our accommodation.

It started the minute we got there, being greeted by a rude pompous person who I imagine is the manager, saying "Hello and Goodbye" as we had arrived before our room was ready. We arrived at 1pm and our reservation very clearly states we can check in from 12pm. When we were allowed to go up to our room, the door was open and a cleaning lady kept coming in and out for a few minutes.The view from our balcony was amazing, but we definitely had to open the ranch slider as we couldn't see the view through the disgustingly dirty windows.

We left at this point to do our other activities and returned at about 4:30pm that afternoon. Decided to go for a spa/sauna/spout pool to no avail. Apparently only one out of the 4 spout pools were working. This one working spout pool was in use for an hour by 'whoever' was using it. Reception said they would call us when the key had been returned so we could use it. We then decided to use the spa spool and sauna. Walked into the section of the pool where this was located and both were out of order and not working. At this point we decided to go back to our room and watch TV while waiting for the call about the spout room key.

In our room, I turned the TV on to discover that we must have booked the only place in the entire city that does not have SKY tv! At least we bought wine with us which we could drink while we waited for our phone call as we weren't planning on going out again as we had planned to eat at the in house restaurant or at least order room service. After an hour, we decided to call reception to find out where the key was. Our phone did not work. We tried re plugging it in, still no dial tone. At this point also noticed the alarm clock was not working. We then walked back down to reception to enquire about the spout pool key, only to be told it should be back within 5 minutes and to dial 0 on the phone and wait 20 seconds for ringtone / or wait 20 seconds for ringtone, then dial 0. We tried both, still didn't work.

10 Minutes later we went down to reception AGAIN to ask about the key. This time the lady at reception called the same pompous manager we had met when we first got there. He rudely informed us that he was also looking for the key as they had no idea who had it. Insinuating there was no system managing the use of these pools and they only had ONE key for the ONE working spout pool. Laughable. He then told us he would ring us when it turned up. I told him our phone wasn't working, to which he rudely replied that he would bring it up to us and had not forgotten about us and made us feel like we were in the wrong and inconveniencing him!! At this point I noticed a sign at reception apologising for the fact that the restaurant would not be open that evening! So we were forced to have to eat somewhere else.

We then decided not to wait for the imaginary key to the imaginary spout pool and go out for dinner. We both showered in a disgusting cesspit disguised as a shower. We really need to have a shower elsewhere after having a shower in our room. We then went out to dinner and returned at 9:30pm, we again enquired about the mythical spout pool key, which as it turns out had now simply disappeared.

Again, went back to the room to watch one of the 3 or 4 channels that had nothing good on. We looked for information regarding breakfast times the next day only to discover that other than a wine list, the was absolutely NO information on the facilities, location, area or anything AT ALL!! Went to bed, tried to close the door between the kitchen and the main door, but it didn't close all the way, so the bright light outside our room was annoyingly able to shine directly into our room to make sleeping in this dirt infested room slightly more uncomfortable. Woke up early to make sure we would be in time for breakfast as we had no idea from what time it would be available as there was no information given to us verbally or in writing about this.

I walked down to the breakfast room to be greeted by the same pompous manager again. I asked what time breakfast would be available until, to which he rudely and sarcastically replied "(:15, maybe 9:20, but by 9:30 I will definitely have packed up". We returned to have our breakfast. This same person then looked at us expectantly with his note pad and pen not saying anything. I told him I wasn't sure what he wanted to know, but we were from room 821 and wanted breakfast. He said 'Yes...' and waited. He was being so rude! Then he asked "What would you like?". I said I was led to believe it was a buffet breakfast and didn't realise I had to order. He then said we could chose between cooked or continental. My partner did not know what continental meant and asked about it, to which he made her feel real small and like an idiot for not knowing what it meant and smirked and laughed at her! I said we would have two cooked breakfasts and went to sit down.

We then dished up our cooked breakfast, which consisted of disgusting scrambled eggs that I was lucky enough to discover had shells in it, very cold and greasy bacon, something that resembled sausages and other things I couldn't stomach to even put on my plate. I also got a coffee, thinking how bad can the coffee be. Well, it was quite possibly he worst coffee I have ever had in my life.

Breakfast was disgusting. We went back to our room to pack and leave. While I was in the bathroom, with the door open, a cleaning lady simply OPENED the door to come in, before closing it after realising we were still in there! There was no KNOCKING!!

On checking out we were then told we had to pay for the breakfast, to which I replied that my booking included cooked breakfast. The lady argued with me and said it was not possible as they only offer continental breakfast with those deals and then asked me for my booking form, which I said I did not have. She then spent 5 seconds looking for our booking form to notice that I was correct and we had paid for a bed and breakfast deal including cooked breakfast. Shouldn't this have been done before accusing us of being wrong and trying to make us pay for something we shouldn't have???

Your website advertises your facilities as follows :

Fully licensed restaurant and bar
Room service
Telephone and TV in every room
Guest laundry
Off-street parking
Courtesy transfer service (subject to availability)
Fax and office facilities available
High chairs available
Disabled facilities
All major credit cards accepted
Weekend and holiday rates available
Four conference/meeting rooms with full technical facilities for 5 to 150 people
Swimming pool
Spout pools
Spa and sauna
Gymnasium
Traditional maori concert party and hangi (feast)

We had no:
WIFI
Mini Bar
Queen Bed
12pm Checkin
Traditional maori concert party and hangi (feast)

Our room description was as follows : The suites overlook the world famous Whakawerawera Thermal Reserve. The rooms comprise queen and single bed, tea & coffee facilities, wireless internet, ensuite with bath/ shower, mini bar, comfortable chairs, iron and ironing board

In summary, our room was dirty, the bathroom disgusting, the windows couldn't even be seen through with all the dirt on them. There was rubbish in the drawers and no information in the room regarding room service or any service, including the wifi connection or how we would connect to the free wifi. This must also be the only place we could possibly book in Rotorua where we could not have a spa or watch SKY tv. The service we received was pathetic, incompetent and rude and we most certainly did not get what we paid for or what we would reasonably expect to receive based on your advertising

Room Tip: IF you stay here, ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the geyser - this would be the only reas...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SophieAuckland, Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for providing such a detailed feedback, we do appreciate the time you have taken to provide such a detailed feeback.

I do feel it is fair to say that you do appear to have misinterpreted comments made to you by the Manager. The comments were meant in a friendly and welcoming way, they were not meant is the way you have clearly taken them. For example when you arrived to check in at 1pm we do agree the Manager said "Welcome and Good bye", if you quoted the full text he then went on to say your room was not ready and offered the lounge for you to wait in whilst the room was completed, it is hard to explain this over an email, but please do accept that it was not meant in a rude way it was meant in a friendly and relaxed manner, it was certainly not meant literally in the way you are trying to imply is welcome now goodbye.

Is does seem that every time you spoke to the Manager, his comments were interpreted in the literal sense, certainly no offense was intended. I understand the Manager was walking through the restaurant at 9.15am and you approached him, instead of the waiter, to ascertain the time the restaurant closed, again he responded to your request by saying that the staff are normally out of her by 9.30am, perhaps he could have responded to your more formally, but he felt that the style was fitting.

No offense was intended towards you, sometimes a Manager has to use a different approach to each customer to make them feel welcome, and clearly our Manager made the wrong approach to you. We do assure you he was just trying to be welcoming and friendly, him comments were not meant to be taken as literal.

It is fairly clear that the Manager did not make a good impression on you, and as a result perhaps everything just seemed to go wrong for you.

On the night you stayed two of the spout pools were out of action, the other two spout pools were in use, and perhaps in continual use, Prior to your comments we had been relaxed with the spout pools by not setting times on usage, as a result of your comments we are now setting a 30 minute use of the pools to ensure a fair usage.

We do try to accommodate and weclome all guests, and unfortunately we were not able to get it right this time for which we are sorry.

Once again thank you for your comments
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This place was the worst experince I have ever had with accomdation. The staff where rude and did not provide the service that they had in there book. They stated that the rooms where clean there was mould in the shower and soap scum on the door. The carpet was pulling up which I tripped on and the carpet was dirty. The staff did'nt care and did'nt try to fix the situation. The motel it self and outdoor yard was not maintained at all.

Room Tip: Dont go here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SophieAuckland, General Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
We do appreciate your valued feedback.

I am very disappointed that you felt the staff were not helpful, we do value all our customers and the staff normally do go out of their way to help all guests.

We are surprised about the comment you made about the grounds, the lawn is mowed twice a month, and at this time of year it does not grow very much, so it is well maintained.

We will raise your comments with our housekeeping department.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback
Otane, null, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The only good thing about this tired, dated hotel was the location. We had 2 geyser view rooms at the back which would have been spectacular if it hadn't been for the trees masking the view. At no extra charge we had a cockroach in one room and a white tailed spider in the other!! Missing lightbulbs, no toilet paper, noisy bathroom fan, sticking sliding door to the outside and a key card which worked on all the rooms in the hotel!! One room had booked a continental breakfast deal - my advise would be don't bother!! a Weetbix and tinned fruit, not worth the effort and the dining room reminded me of school camps. The staff were friendly and understanding but had a 'that's the way it is' attitude.

Room Tip: Geyser view rooms, make sure no trees, only a problem on the ground floor. Quieter at the back as o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wanganui, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

After paying for a weeks accomadation I forgot to check trip advisor,if I had of I wouldn't of booked it,so many bad reviews.
But I'm glad I did,luke 10yo and me dad checked in Monday 21st Jan 2013, a couple of little issues but where fixed within 2 hours,we where upgraded to geyser room view,awesome room,yes dated but very clean and the cleaning staff we great even washed our bowls from breakfast.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in rotorua and this has to be the best value for money,if something is wrong in your room just talk to the manager he bent over backwards for us.I looked at booking again with the agency that booked us in this year but they have sold out for next Xmas break already,what's that telling you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for the positive review, Regards Greg
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel was the most disappointing place we stayed at on our trip. The entire hotel was in need of an update (except perhaps the reception, which just stood to unnecessarily lift your expectations). The rooms were so old and dated (needed new paint, and a general reno). They advertised wi-fi, but we were told we couldn't access it because we were too far away. Service was not particularly friendly. The pool looked horrible, and the spa was left cold. The shower has possibly the worst water pressure imaginable.

Yes there is a view of a geyser and a mudpool...

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Had a good two days here - a nice big room with good view and outside area. Staff and Manager very helpful and the hotel is well priced. Yes the rooms could be updated with flat screen TVs, subdued lighting and all, but that comes at a price and the room was clean, beds and chairs comfortable and where else in the world can you see geysers and buddling mud pools from your bedroom window for $100 NZ a night?

thank you for your positive comments, Regards Greg Wilson

Been to SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland? Share your experiences!