“Exactly what I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish, Pub, Gastropub, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Exactly what I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We visited Rotorua during the school holidays and a friend recommended Hennessey's for an authentic Irish Pub meal, and we weren't disappointed!!!! The pub itself looked as if it was straight from the set of 'Father Ted' - our hostess whose name just happened to be Hennessey (can't remember her first name sorry) was excellent as was the food and atmosphere!!!
Good value, I'll definitely recommend this to anyone!!! Oh BTW the Guiness was smooth as silk!!!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Australia
“Standard pub grub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I ate here on my one night in Rotorua. Fairly standard pub grub really. I went for the Irish stew hoping it would be good in an Irish Pub, but the meat was too fatty for my liking, it was short on vegetables, I thought the gravy a bit watery, and the serving size wasn't particularly big. At about $23 it was really overpriced for what it was, and the pint of Guinness was also quite dear. Maybe some of the other things on the menu would have been better, not sure, but at the time I rather wished I had gone for something else as most things were around that sort of price. The pub itself was decorated interestingly enough and was quite nice. It was quiet the night I was there, only a few patrons, so there wasn't much atmosphere, but I think with a bit of a crowd in it would be a good spot to go for a drink. Staff were fine. Overall not terrible, but there must be better meal options around.

Visited April 2014
Rotorua
“Awesome St Pattys Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Went with friends to experience what an Irish Bar would be like on St Patricks Day.
It was amazing!! Great food. Great Beer!! Got free hats! and entertainment from a live band.
Excellent atmosphere! Definitely will return next March for another great night out!!
Maybe if the beer is discounted a bit more on the night seeing as it is St Pattys Day and Guinness is the main beer. =]

Visited March 2014
Monaghan, Ireland
“Hearty food & good live music.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This cosy bar has a good menu with daily meal deals. All the food is generously portioned and reasonably priced. Good range of wines and other drinks and lots of entertainment from live music to bar quizzes. Nice atmosphere in the city centre.

Visited May 2014
FORT COLLINS
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I guess we must have eaten at a different restaurant. We had the typical New Zealand lamb salad which is pretty predictable. But Hennessy's must have found the oldest lamb. The meat was fatty chewy and I left most of it.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
4menandadog, Owner at Hennessy's Irish Bar, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi Likestotravel, I am sorry to read that you found your meal was not to the standard we normally reach. The lamb we buy for our Lamb Salad comes from the same supplier that supplies most of Rotorua's restaurants and bars, and we do not ever purchase inferior quality products. I have forwarded your comment to our supplier and they are also at a loss to understand how this may have happened.
On reviewing sales for the night you made the review, we sold 18 lamb salads and yours is the first and only complaint we have ever received.
I would strongly suggest that in future if you get a meal you are less than happy with you should bring it to the attention of staff at the time and rather than putting it online, get it rectified at the time.