“Words cannot express.....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 48 Rotorua B&B and Inns
London
“Words cannot express.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We spent two glorious nights with Christine who is the perfect and knowledgeable owner. From the moment we arrived it felt like we were old friends staying in her home. Fabulous cooked breakfasts (different each day) and even a lovely supper provided on our second night with a great bottle of wine when we were too tired to go out. We watched the sunset and then listened to Christine teaching us about the stars seen so clearly in the perfect night sky. We fed her donkeys and watched quails running across the lawns. Breakfast was fun with the other guests. Thanks for a memorable stay. Peggy and Alison

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stumbled across one of Rotorua and NZ's best B&B's with a fantastic host in Christine. beautiful sumptuous breakfast and great company made the 1 night stay memorable. Bothe my wife and I highly recommend you spend a night or two soaking up the beautiful views and strolling through the gardens.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Just north of downtown Rotorua, this beautiful house is set well off the road on a large parcel of property. The owner/hostess, Christine, takes care of everything, inside and outside. The gardens across the property are incredible! Christine's homemade breakfasts are delicious! There is a gorgeous view from every comfortable, luxuriously decorated room! Christine was very helpful in providing recommendations (like stopping in Tirau after visiting Hobbiton) and making arrangements for an evening at Mitai to learn more about Maori life. You'll be within a ten minute drive of Rotorura when you want to go-see-do, but this is an amazing place to disconnect yourself from urban entrapments. High recommend.

Chudleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stumbled upon Doolan’s Country Retreat quite by accident intending only to stay for one night – I ended up staying for three! Such was the friendly reception from Christine, scrumptious breakfast presented on a perfectly laid out table, beautiful gardens and fabulous views I was hooked.
Our perfect hostess was able to accommodate my Son and partner who turned up at short notice, excellent service offered allowing me precious and memorable time with my family. The bedrooms were perfect with plenty of space, comfortable beds, tastefully decorated and the en-suite bathrooms spotlessly clean.
I felt like a family member rather than a B&B guest and have no hesitation in recommending this accomodation. I have now returned to a cold and wet UK but the warmth and welcome shown by Christine will stay with me forever – I have no hesitation in recommending Doolan’s Country Retreat and hopefully when I visit New Zealand again in a couple of years time it will be on the schedule as an overnight stop for another three nights at least.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Tainan, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are total 3 people, me, my wife and 7-year-old child. We think the shower with a hose is better for child to bath. Christine gave us a hand while we looked for the room with it. She suggested the Tui room. It is a very lovely room and we can see the beautiful garden through the window. Wow! it is a large garden! There are plenty of flowers, grass and tree. Besides, you can also see the rabbits jumps in the grass. There is another animal, lovely donkey, you can see or feed around the garden. It is fun, especially for little boy and girl.
In the morning, Christine made a deluxe breakfast, including milk, cereal, toast, honey, jam, peanut butter, vegemite, mushroom eggs...etc. We all fueled up the full energy! Christine gave us the great recommendations where to visit and play. Originally, we planed to play Zorb and not Luge(at Skyline). Thanks Christine, my son enjoy Luge very much and we played four times. Besides, she also suggested us to visit Rainbow Spring, museum, Agrodome, and restaurants(Lone star cafe and Fat dog cafe & bar). There is a "Splash" in the Rainbow Spring that my son loves it too. He would like to play it again and again since it is free while you pay the entrance fee.
Christine asked what is our next destination. We will go to Taupo next. Then she suggested us to visit Te Puia and Waiatapu Thermal Wonderland while we drive Tapuo since these places are on the way to Taupo. Moreover, she suggested us another place, Orakei Korako (the hidden Valley), near Taupo to watch the gushing geysers, hot springs, bubbling mud pools. You need to take the boat first then visit it by yourself. It is a fantastic place and no visitor group there. Christine is very kind to guide us where we can feed the duck (give us the toast, thank you!), where we can have lunch, where we can watch the Bungy jumping at Taupo and remind us to fill the gasline before we drive to Napier(there is no gasline station on the way to Napier from Taupo)
We sailed at Auckland, watched the worm at Waitomo, enjoyed jet boat at Taupo, rode the bike at Napier, and visit the museum at Wellington. But we can not forget is two days stayed at Rotorua with Christine. Thanks again, Christine, you are the best host. We miss you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
gisborne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

As Kiwi's we have never stayed in B and B in NZ . I will certainly be recommending Doolan's B and B to my friends. Christine was such an amazing welcoming hostess.
I loved the home . the English furniture was amazing though out the house.The garden was amazing . Rotorua was so close ! Loved the views of the countryside.
Will definately be going to stay again . i felt as if we had been away a week . Yummy breakfast as well . Nice being introduced to the other guests and chat over a class of wine and a freshly cooked christmas mince pie ... perfect

Room Tip: look on the web page . all rooms looked inviting
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My partner and I arrived at Doolan's Country Retreat just a week before Christmas and stayed for one night. We were greeted at the door by Christine who was so kind and gracious to us, giving us advice on places to visit and making us authentic Japanese green tea, then even went as far as to mail me back an item I had left at her house via overnight shipping (because of the possible Christmas traffic), refusing any compensation. In the house, there were very well maintained facilities, wifi, an amazing bed, and a wide selection of food for breakfast, including homemade jam.

Thank you so much for the wonderful stay Christine and for being so kind, I proudly recommend this B&B to anyone looking to stay in the region. Thanks again Christine!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Quail room which has it's own little outside area with a table and seats, and a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Doolan's Country Retreat? Share your experiences!