“Clean and Safe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rock Solid Backpackers

Save Saved
You added Rock Solid Backpackers to your Saves list
Rock Solid Backpackers
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1140 Hinemoa Street | Downtown Rotorua, Rotorua, New Zealand   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Clean and Safe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed here for a night and got the weekend special because of the noise pollution. It wasn't that noisy so if you can deal with a low hum of music and the occasional talking it is a good deal. It has free WIFI which is rare in New Zealand. Only negatives is that after 10 there is only a lounge amongst the rooms and so if you want to stay up and chat you have to be quiet because there are a series of dorms surrounding it and they get upset. Definitely not a rowdy hostel though I did stay mid week in winter. Close to bus stop and i-site.

Room Tip: avoid the room near the kitchen if you want a sleep in

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed here in March and still remember how great this place was! Everything was so clean, by far the cleanliest hostel I've ever stayed at. The kitchen was big- also the best kitchen in any hostel ever (you weren't at all disgusted by cooking in it and there was actually pots and stuff, apart from many other kitchens). There was a friendly vibe amongst both the staff and the guests, it was easy to find people to hang with! And staff was super helpful, especially a guy named Barry (I think)- he gave us such great service when helping us book tours. Also; free wifi that actually worked, and good common areas!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Me and 2 friends had a great stay at the Rock Solid Backpackers. It is cheap very clean and good based in Rotorua. They over plenty of tours and adventures. The only "negative" thing was the similarity to a prison in the rooms, but you get used to it and it isn't really that bad! All in all we had a good and comfortable time!

• Stayed June 2014
Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I found Rock Solid to be a really awesome place to stay, I had been looking around the various hostels for quite a while in order to find a place that had 3 things, free WiFi, storage lockers in the rooms and female only dorms. This place had it all.
One of the main things I loved about it was the friendly staff, when I checked in I was greeted well and shown how to get around the building and run through all the info. They were really good about letting me have another blanket as the ones that they give you are quite thin. I was also able to get a padlock for a storage locker in my room for a $10 refundable charge. The towel was yet another refundable charge.
Another thing that was awesome was the rock climbing wall outside the window of the lounge, it was fun watching the climbers all night. The lounge was also really well equipped with a tv (but it got no reception) with an xbox and dvd player, dvd library, pool table, table tennis table, computers, couches and books.
The rooms were pretty nice, I liked that there was a reading light above every bed so that anyone who came in late didn't wake up the rest of us. The beds were pretty comfy, they were basically two mattresses that were piled up. Bathrooms could use a bit of work, at times my shower wasn't that warm and at one point the water was barely enough to wash my hair with. The toilets were fine except one was out of order and one of the lights didn't work.
An annoyance was how hard it was to get upstairs to the bedrooms, you had to put in a pin number to get through one door, then a key to get through the next and then another different key to get into my room. I had about 3 keys for this place. The lounge also closed really early at 10am,so if you wanted to be social you had to go to your rooms because the hallways were also a quiet zone. This meant that the neighbors were noisy. The issue I had with my room was the heating, what they called a heater I called a heated towel rail and it wasn't very powerful at all, I was told by my roomate if it wasn't on all day the rooms were cold. This left one usable power point. I found this place hard to find on the internet as most of the travelers are foreign, they don't tend to advertise to New Zealanders.
All in all I loved this experience, the people I met were awesome and the positives outweighed the negative.

Room Tip: Try not to get ones that are near the kitchens or the bathrooms I can imagine those to be very noisy...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Vanessa M, Owner at Rock Solid Backpackers, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Kia ora Hillary
Thank you for taking the time to place to share your experience with Rock Solid - we really do appreciate the feedback and pleased you found your stay with us 'pretty awesome' and we checked off all of your 'wish list' especially the free UNLIMITED wifi, free lockable wardrobes and female dorms!

We are glad you appreciated the rock climbing wall and hope you took advantage of the great price our guests get of just $12 to climb for as long as they like with all gear supplied!

I am sorry you thought our new winter weight duvets were too thin but very glad you asked for an extra blanket which are available free from reception.

We do host mostly international guests but are working on increasing our domestic marketing so other kiwis can enjoy our hostel too!

Again many thanks for your comments and hope you come stay again next time you visit Rotorua!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The location is very good.
We had a private double for 50$ - an unbeatable price!
The kitchen and the bathroom was in a very good condition. You get free vouchers for the internet (1GB per voucher).
Free Coffee & Tea available.
You get towels for free (just 10$ deposit).

But...
This price for the double is only available on weekends. That is because your room is next to the party-street. You hear the music and all the people like you were right next to the club. We weren't told so and learned it the hard way: no sleep until 4am!
Additionally there was a gap between the frame of the window and the wall: ice cold air all night long! The little heater had no chance.
Unfortunately the bed wasn't really clean (dusty and quite a lot of hairs).

But...
Since the night wasn't really worth the 50$, we found a solution for all the issues the next morning. The owners (a couple, living in the same building) was super friendly and apologised several times!

We would still recommend staying at Rock Solid!
Just check your (double) room properly. Unfortunately we had no time to do so as we just checked-in and left for some activities until late.

• Stayed June 2014
Vanessa M, Owner at Rock Solid Backpackers, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
KIa ora Odo

We do work hard at providing a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all our guests and are so pleased you appreciated our hostel facilities but we were very dismayed to hear of your issues, the following morning especially as if you had bought them to our attention at the time we would have happily sorted all of them immediately so you would have had a much more pleasant night).

We do tell all our guests that we have have a special discount rate on our rooms located close to the main street on Thursday-Saturday because of the cities 'night-life' and it is displayed on our Check in counter, however as it may not have been clearly explained to you by our host, we do understand how you were frustrated and again thank you for accepting our humble apologies and room refund.

Again thank you for your understanding and still recommending our hostel and wish you all the best in your travels!
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great hostel, stayed in a 8 bed dorm with my partner and it was nice, clean and plenty of space. Kitchen was great (love the spices) en used the free pool and table tennis a lot. Bathrooms can use some updating in the next couple of years, cause the rest of the hostel looks so modern compared to it. And my mattress wasn't that great. We loved our time there!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Kia ora
Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments about our hostel.

We are very glad you appreciated all we have to offer including the free activities in our guest lounge and the herbs and spices in the guest kitchen, as we do want our guests to be comfortable and enjoy their stay with us!

Again thank for your valuable feedback and we do wish you have more great experiences and safe travels!
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I recently visited Rotorua for a short trip, staying at Rock Solid for 3 nights. The hostel was in a great location, the rooms were spacious and clean (I was in an 8 bed dorm) and the staff very knowledgeable and helpful. Only criticism I could be is to say that it was a bit chilly in the rooms and lounge, so could do with a dew extra heaters. Other thank that, great!

Kia ora
Thank you for taking the time to place your great comments. We are so glad you appreciated everything our hostel has to offer and you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We are sorry you found some areas chilly as we do have heaters that should be sufficient in keeping the rooms warm however unfortunately we do find the heaters do get unplugged by guests which then disrupts the timers, so we are still looking at ways to prevent this.

We hope when you are next in our wonderful city that you come stay with us again!

Ka kite ano

Been to Rock Solid Backpackers? Share your experiences!