“The staff here was surprisingly very friendly.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waterfront Restaurant & Bar

Waterfront Restaurant & Bar
48 Marsden Road, Paihia, New Zealand (Formerly Swiss Cafe & Grill)
09 402 6701
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 41 restaurants in Paihia
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Waterfront Restaurant & Bar is located in central Paihia with views overlooking Russell, with our large al fresco area. Relax & unwind with local wines, seafood & prime beef while watching the sunset over the yachts in the bay.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“The staff here was surprisingly very friendly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Hubby and I took our 5 and 1 1/2 year old for dinner here on a Friday evening. Of course they were the only children in the Restaurant and taking them isn't something we "like" doing if you know what I mean lol. But their staff were so friendly towards the kids and patient.
They had kids menus which were so large.

I ordered the Salmon special and hubby ordered the T Bone Special. Both were delicious. We had dessert, I had the Creme Brulee and hubby had the Chocolate mudcake thing. The Creme Brulee was nice but not great, the shot glass of berries looked attractive but was so sour I couldn't really mix it with the cream or ice cream which came with the Dessert. Hubby gobbled all his mud cake right up :)

Over all I loved the dinner, very nice, and staff extremely friendly. Thank you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

82% Recommend
Perth, Western Australia
“Top little restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal at the Waterfront. It was a chilly night, and the staff had lit the gas fires, so everyone there was cozy! The service is wonderful and the staff are warm and friendly.

We started with some garlic bread and I have to say it was one of the best I've had. I followed this with an eye fillet steak and it was great - I asked for medium, and that's exactly what I got. The accompanying vegetables were delicious and the mushroom sauce was so yummy.

I'm sorry I didn't have room for dessert, but they have something to suit everyone's taste.

Give this restaurant a go when next in Paihia.

Visited April 2013
Kerikeri, New Zealand
“They think of everything here - good food, good wine, and a cuddle rug.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

On what was the wettest, windiest night in months we were welcomed in to this pleasant oasis.
At first we were going to sit outside (under conver)as the restaurant looks directly over the ocean, and wrap up with the cuddle rugs they provide, and huge gas heater. However - the weather got steadily worse, and we were ushered in to the main restaurant. We started with ciabatta with garlic butter, then mains of eye fillet and lamb rack. Both meals were to come with mash -- but we asked for fries instead, and it was no problem at all for this change of menu. We've found in the past at other restaurants that asking for a change in the menu can lead to tantrums in the kitchen! The food really was delicious, beautifully cooked and presented. We're not wine connoiseurs, but thought the selection of wines and beers was good.
All in all - a great night out.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Gormless Gourmet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Enticed by a billboard promising a 'snapper accompanied by gourmet potatoes etc .."
(irresistable!) I booked a table for a Friday night. I put on my best frock (Firday night!) and full of anticipation, entered the Waterfront, excitedly awaiting the promised GOURMET experience. The Pinot Gris was there to enhance and to titilate the palate. Except it turned into a consolation prize.

The meal was meagre and the gourmet part of it never transpired. Whence the trade description!? The snapper portion was the size that could at best be described as hardly visible let alone consumable, being a mere morsel it barely registered on my taste buds - my stomach did not even notice!The gourmet potatoes were just potatoes that were quartered and boiled in their skins. There might have been a drop of butter miserely distributed in amongst the brownish
bulbs, but by this time I was too angry to really notice or to register its presence. Ah, there was another presence on the plate: TWO string beans! no less.

Not only disappointed, but angry at "being had" , I left the restaurant, foreswearing not only not to set my foot there ever again but also to warn anybody and everybody about its arrogance and sheer gutless focus on making innocent and trusting visitors pay an extortionate price for a very mean offering.

Paihia is such a lovely place, it certainly deserves better. The Waterfront's disingenious bilboard enticements offend the unsespecting visitors and bring the Paihia eating experience into, what I am sure is, totally undesreved disrepute. The local tourist providers please take note.

And the visitors? Current and future? Do not even entertain the idea of gracing the Waterfront with your presence (let alone your hard earned money!).

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Toowoomba, Australia
“Very pleasant place to enjoy fine food and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

A lovely setting on the water front. Very happy obliging staff. A most enjoyable night. We were treated well from the minute we walked in until when we left. Good choice of fresh and tasty dishes on the menu. Tables were nicely spaced. A good place to relax.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere