“Would not stay here” 1 of 5 stars

28 Kings Road | PO Box 29, Paihia 0247 , New Zealand   |
Ranked #19 of 25 Specialty lodging in Paihia
“Would not stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here with a group of 8 when we checked in the lady was in a state of confusion. We had made our booking through hostel world and she just could not work it out. 45 minutes later after rolling her eyes, asking us not to confuse her and basically a rude attitude we were booked in. I was staying in the double room $95 was completely over priced. The lady came rushing into our room at 9:30 screaming for us to get out ( we just presumed it was a 10am check out) we had a flat tyre and left and came back with equipment, one of the boys went to the toilet and she yelled at him to get out and use a public toilet. And then stood there and glared at us.
I have stayed in a lot of hostels and have never come across an employee like this. I didn't get her name but she had a thick European accent and was the rudest unhospitable person I have ever come across.

• Stayed January 2013

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at Bay Adventurer in a six person dorm room for three nights while on a Kiwi Experience tour during the busy Christmas and New Year period. The atmosphere is very laid back, and the facility includes a large common area including a nice pool, hot tub, multiple picnic tables, and a TV room and kitchen. If you’re coming here on your way from Auckland you’re going to love it, as the whole scene is very chilled out and people are very friendly.

I can’t speak highly enough about the cleaning staff, particularly in the bathrooms. No matter the time of day, I never encountered a gross bathroom situation. Major props! The kitchen was always great as well (note that they will fine you if you don’t do your dishes and they catch you on the security camera, which is a good thing). One minor complaint is that the dorm room itself smelled really moldy, but it’s easy to see why when you realize that everyone is either in the pool or at the beach all day, and stuff frequently gets hung up to dry inside the rooms. Despite the smell, it was cleaned well every day by the staff. Do yourself a favor and bring one towel for the beach/pool and one for showering.

The room price is average for the area. Wi-Fi is through Global Gossip and was $4/day or $12/week while I was there, and certainly don't count on getting any cell signal on your mobile device. If you’re not coming on one of the tour buses, call ahead to make sure the office will be open for your arrival. There is lots of parking available if you’re driving up on your own.

Recommended!

Room Tip: If you request a room along the back of the dorms rather than one facing the picnic table and pool a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

- very unaccomodating management
- ants, ants, ants!!!! I had ants crawling across our table, floors, computer, etc
- guests singing and belligerent outside our door at 12:30am (11pm quiet curfew I don't think so!)
- free kayak rental.... They have ONE kayak. Then you have to pay
- awful movie selection

• Stayed December 2012
Queenstown, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I see all these comments from the owner saying that the night manager has changed but my friend went there last week (not to stay, just to visit her friend off the magic bus who got roped into staying there as they recommend it apparently - sort it out Magic Bus, you're better than that!) and said it was still the same girl living upstairs, Michelle I think she was called.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very average hostel completely spoilt by dishonest managment. We were last in the kitchen one night cleaning up and the staff came in to close up. We left a couple of plates and a pan with our groceries to clean up the next morning before checking out. However, by morning someone had done them. On check out we were told they had played the video camera back to see who hadn't finsished washing up (are we school children?). I explained why we had left them and that we were to finish them off the next morning but they said they would have to fine us. I told them that this was disgraceful and that I was not paying.

A week later $50 was taken from my bank account by this hostel. I contacted the trading standards commission in NZ and although they stated that the money should not have been taken without consent they had no power over this sort of issue. They also said we were not the first to complain about money being taken from our bank accounts by this hostel. Maybe this is an issue for the Police.

If you really have to stay here make sure you use a credit card so that you can claim back on the cards insurance scheme if they rip you off. But really, there are much nicer places to stay if you book in time.

To the management: theft aside, I can not understand what sort of business risks losing repeat customers and recommendations, especially in these times were internet review sites are readily used. How desperate are you?

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

When I googled this place, I was very excited to stay there. It just looked great!
But the reality was far different from what the website said.
I stayed in a 6 person dorm. Though clean, the room for 6 was the size of my average sized bedroom at home for just me.
The common room/kitchen was TINY. There was plenty of people trying to watch television and struggling to even find a place on the floor to sit. Also, common room/kitchen closes crazy early in the night. They lock it and you cant get back in. Even for a glass of water or something to eat!
They also dont let you sit outside in the courtyard at night and anything more than a tiny whisper, you are told off.
The showers/toilets were clean but it was a long outdoor walk from my room to get to it.
The pool area also closes very early.
Because of all of these restrictions, nobody sticks around the place to socialise so there is NO atmosphere. I spent all my time in Base Hostel (Next Door) Where they have a bar, great atmosphere and none of these restrictions.
If your under 40, DONT STAY HERE.
I'm not a mad party person, I was in Paihia to see the wonderful scenery, wildlife and meet new people. It would just have been nice to have stayed somewhere enjoyable while I was at it. It actually felt like being in boarding school....

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I'm very impressed by this place. The showers, toilets, kitchen was always clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Its quite at night so I could get a good sleep. If you want to party late there is the Pipi Patch just foot steps away. I have stayed at so many backpackers and never got a good night sleep because it was usually really loud and full of drunk people. The Bay Adventurer was perfect for a good nights sleep.

I highly recommend this place when staying in Paihia. I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bay Adventurer? Share your experiences!