“Dirty, expensive nightclub disguised as a motel” 2 of 5 stars

You added Bay Adventurer to your Saves list
Bay Adventurer
28 Kings Road | PO Box 29, Paihia 0247 , New Zealand   |
Ranked #23 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Paihia
“Dirty, expensive nightclub disguised as a motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

- very unaccomodating management
- ants, ants, ants!!!! I had ants crawling across our table, floors, computer, etc
- guests singing and belligerent outside our door at 12:30am (11pm quiet curfew I don't think so!)
- free kayak rental.... They have ONE kayak. Then you have to pay
- awful movie selection

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Queenstown, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I see all these comments from the owner saying that the night manager has changed but my friend went there last week (not to stay, just to visit her friend off the magic bus who got roped into staying there as they recommend it apparently - sort it out Magic Bus, you're better than that!) and said it was still the same girl living upstairs, Michelle I think she was called.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very average hostel completely spoilt by dishonest managment. We were last in the kitchen one night cleaning up and the staff came in to close up. We left a couple of plates and a pan with our groceries to clean up the next morning before checking out. However, by morning someone had done them. On check out we were told they had played the video camera back to see who hadn't finsished washing up (are we school children?). I explained why we had left them and that we were to finish them off the next morning but they said they would have to fine us. I told them that this was disgraceful and that I was not paying.

A week later $50 was taken from my bank account by this hostel. I contacted the trading standards commission in NZ and although they stated that the money should not have been taken without consent they had no power over this sort of issue. They also said we were not the first to complain about money being taken from our bank accounts by this hostel. Maybe this is an issue for the Police.

If you really have to stay here make sure you use a credit card so that you can claim back on the cards insurance scheme if they rip you off. But really, there are much nicer places to stay if you book in time.

To the management: theft aside, I can not understand what sort of business risks losing repeat customers and recommendations, especially in these times were internet review sites are readily used. How desperate are you?

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

When I googled this place, I was very excited to stay there. It just looked great!
But the reality was far different from what the website said.
I stayed in a 6 person dorm. Though clean, the room for 6 was the size of my average sized bedroom at home for just me.
The common room/kitchen was TINY. There was plenty of people trying to watch television and struggling to even find a place on the floor to sit. Also, common room/kitchen closes crazy early in the night. They lock it and you cant get back in. Even for a glass of water or something to eat!
They also dont let you sit outside in the courtyard at night and anything more than a tiny whisper, you are told off.
The showers/toilets were clean but it was a long outdoor walk from my room to get to it.
The pool area also closes very early.
Because of all of these restrictions, nobody sticks around the place to socialise so there is NO atmosphere. I spent all my time in Base Hostel (Next Door) Where they have a bar, great atmosphere and none of these restrictions.
If your under 40, DONT STAY HERE.
I'm not a mad party person, I was in Paihia to see the wonderful scenery, wildlife and meet new people. It would just have been nice to have stayed somewhere enjoyable while I was at it. It actually felt like being in boarding school....

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I'm very impressed by this place. The showers, toilets, kitchen was always clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Its quite at night so I could get a good sleep. If you want to party late there is the Pipi Patch just foot steps away. I have stayed at so many backpackers and never got a good night sleep because it was usually really loud and full of drunk people. The Bay Adventurer was perfect for a good nights sleep.

I highly recommend this place when staying in Paihia. I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I really didn't enjoy my stay here. Despite seemingly having an army of cleaners the bathrooms were constantly filthy but may be this had something to do with the fact that you had to walk outside to get to them. Which was great fun in the middle of the night when it was raining. I was there over New Year but there seemed to be a lot of kids staying here who were on a missin to get as drunk as possible every night and leave puddles of sick for you to find the next day.

• Stayed December 2011
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I was to stay at this hostel for two nights while visiting the bay of islands. Just before we reached the hostel I received a telephone call from home about a death in the family and I had to return home. I contacted the hostel to cancel the reservation and told them the circumstances and the lady who I was talking to told me that the hostel had a 24hour cancellation policy and I would therefore i would be charged for one nights accommodation! I asked her if that was still the case when there was a sudden death and she replied 'yes, we require 24 hour notice'. it's hard to give 24 hour notice in a situation like this!!!!!

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bay Adventurer? Share your experiences!