“Wouldnt stay again” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 26 Specialty Lodging in Paihia
Dublin, Ireland
“Wouldnt stay again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

When I googled this place, I was very excited to stay there. It just looked great!
But the reality was far different from what the website said.
I stayed in a 6 person dorm. Though clean, the room for 6 was the size of my average sized bedroom at home for just me.
The common room/kitchen was TINY. There was plenty of people trying to watch television and struggling to even find a place on the floor to sit. Also, common room/kitchen closes crazy early in the night. They lock it and you cant get back in. Even for a glass of water or something to eat!
They also dont let you sit outside in the courtyard at night and anything more than a tiny whisper, you are told off.
The showers/toilets were clean but it was a long outdoor walk from my room to get to it.
The pool area also closes very early.
Because of all of these restrictions, nobody sticks around the place to socialise so there is NO atmosphere. I spent all my time in Base Hostel (Next Door) Where they have a bar, great atmosphere and none of these restrictions.
If your under 40, DONT STAY HERE.
I'm not a mad party person, I was in Paihia to see the wonderful scenery, wildlife and meet new people. It would just have been nice to have stayed somewhere enjoyable while I was at it. It actually felt like being in boarding school....

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I'm very impressed by this place. The showers, toilets, kitchen was always clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Its quite at night so I could get a good sleep. If you want to party late there is the Pipi Patch just foot steps away. I have stayed at so many backpackers and never got a good night sleep because it was usually really loud and full of drunk people. The Bay Adventurer was perfect for a good nights sleep.

I highly recommend this place when staying in Paihia. I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012 via mobile

I really didn't enjoy my stay here. Despite seemingly having an army of cleaners the bathrooms were constantly filthy but may be this had something to do with the fact that you had to walk outside to get to them. Which was great fun in the middle of the night when it was raining. I was there over New Year but there seemed to be a lot of kids staying here who were on a missin to get as drunk as possible every night and leave puddles of sick for you to find the next day.

• Stayed December 2011
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I was to stay at this hostel for two nights while visiting the bay of islands. Just before we reached the hostel I received a telephone call from home about a death in the family and I had to return home. I contacted the hostel to cancel the reservation and told them the circumstances and the lady who I was talking to told me that the hostel had a 24hour cancellation policy and I would therefore i would be charged for one nights accommodation! I asked her if that was still the case when there was a sudden death and she replied 'yes, we require 24 hour notice'. it's hard to give 24 hour notice in a situation like this!!!!!

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012 via mobile

The good:
It has a pool. There is good parking and its close to some bars and restaurants.

The bad:
The staff were very standoffish and not welcoming AT ALL.
The room smelled of pee.
There are passive aggressive rules plastered everywhere about how they "have great CCTV".
Worst of all the rude manager would not return our key deposit, because our dorm room-mates (who we did not even know) were making noise outside. We managed to sleep, but apparently someone "complained".

Turns out the angry manager lives upstairs...

Overall:
This place is run with an iron fist. I've stayed in loads of backpackers, and this was by far the most unpleasant.

• Stayed January 2012
MarkHarnden, Owner at Bay Adventurer, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
I am the owner of this hostel and must first of all apologize for the bad experience this guest had.
We have now changed our night manager and trust that the problems experienced by a few reviewers has been solved.
We do have a few signs around, as do most hostels, encouraging guests to clean up the kitchen after them selves- always a problem-but we are certainly not over zealous in our attempts to have the place kept clean. We have cleaners who do the job upto 4 times daily.

Once again, sorry, and our new manager will, I am sure, be much more focused on good customer service.
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We booked to stay here as a group for the State Ocean Swim. This was our second time staying at the Bay Adventurer and our last.

The good - the accommodation is clean & tidy, great location with adequate facilities, BBQ's, pool etc.

The bad - unfortunately the manager lacks customer service skills of any kind. We booked a unit for 7 people. The fold out couch was to come with linen but it didn't. We didn't realise this until we went to make up the bed later that night. We called and asked for linen. The manager came up and said "you should have sorted this earlier, I had to get out of bed!" (said with major attitude), ummm hello lady its not our fault you didn't provide us with all the required linen!

The following night the owner came up and apologised for the incident that happened in the morning??? We hadn't complained about the managers attitude so we suspect that another unit of 7 had made a complaint (Clearly we weren't the only ones who had issues with the managers attitude). We did however take the opportunity to tell the owner about our experience. She was very apologetic and we were happy with her apology, but this wasn't the end......the following morning we were busy getting ready to depart, check out time was 10am. We were carrying our luggage to our cars and tidying the room when the manager came up at 10.02am yes 10.02am and started barking orders that we had to get out of the room so her cleaners could come in! It was 2 minutes past 10am!

So all in all not a pleasant experience which is a shame as the accommodation is perfectly adequate for a cheap weekend away but the manager lacks any form of customer service skills. She tends to sit around smoking cigarettes and chatting on the phone. It's almost as if she'd prefer to not have any guests and given our experience we'll grant her that wish cos we won't be staying next year!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
I am very sorry for the previous managers behavior which was clearly unacceptable.
Our new Manager has been trained by the best, and we trust that he will raise the level of customer service and satisfaction to very high levels.
Queenstown, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

The hostel itself is nice enough, rooms are clean and comfortable although the dorm rooms are a bit cramped, the price is average and the location is ok (all the hostels are in the same place though and most are cheaper than here!) Everything about this place though is overshadowed by the miserable, bordering on aggressive staff. I've never had an issue with any receptionist anywhere, I know it can be stressful being a receptionist in a hostel but this chick takes the biscuit! She's rude, doesn't tell you where anything is, doesn't tell you anything you're entitled to on a arrival, shouts at you, smokes and drinks all day long with some of the other cleaners and is generally grumpy all the time (not just with me, I heard her shouting at one guest because they requested a towel, out of hours apparently, it was 7pm and the notice sad reception was open till 8pm!) There's a different lady that works the day shift, she's just as hostile and has a massive dog with her at all times that roams round like it's trained to attack on order if you even approach her with a question!! I spoke to several other people that were staying there, who all said the same thing! How do these people end up working in hospo? Especially at a backpackers? Surely they know the score? Maybe they can't cope with a job elsewhere and are friends of the owners... who knows?

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
The dog is the hostel dog and most guests are happy to have him around- many hostels, in my experience , have an animal or 2 around and it adds to the homely feel.

Been to Bay Adventurer? Share your experiences!