“Worst Staff EVER!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Paihia
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Worst Staff EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

The hostel itself is nice enough, rooms are clean and comfortable although the dorm rooms are a bit cramped, the price is average and the location is ok (all the hostels are in the same place though and most are cheaper than here!) Everything about this place though is overshadowed by the miserable, bordering on aggressive staff. I've never had an issue with any receptionist anywhere, I know it can be stressful being a receptionist in a hostel but this chick takes the biscuit! She's rude, doesn't tell you where anything is, doesn't tell you anything you're entitled to on a arrival, shouts at you, smokes and drinks all day long with some of the other cleaners and is generally grumpy all the time (not just with me, I heard her shouting at one guest because they requested a towel, out of hours apparently, it was 7pm and the notice sad reception was open till 8pm!) There's a different lady that works the day shift, she's just as hostile and has a massive dog with her at all times that roams round like it's trained to attack on order if you even approach her with a question!! I spoke to several other people that were staying there, who all said the same thing! How do these people end up working in hospo? Especially at a backpackers? Surely they know the score? Maybe they can't cope with a job elsewhere and are friends of the owners... who knows?

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
MarkHarnden, Owner at Bay Adventurer, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
I am the owner of this hostel and must first of all apologize for the bad experience this guest had.
We have now changed our night manager and trust that the problems experienced by a few reviewers has been solved.
I am very sorry for the previous managers behavior which was clearly unacceptable.
Our new Manager has been trained by the best, and we trust that he will raise the level of customer service and satisfaction to very high levels.
The dog is the hostel dog and most guests are happy to have him around- many hostels, in my experience , have an animal or 2 around and it adds to the homely feel.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

We stayed in an ensuite studio room at $107 per night for 3 of us - had a double bed with a single bunk on top, kitchen, sofa, table and chairs and a lovely bathroom with a good shower. Everything very clean. The only negatives would be:
No toaster, and poorly equipped cupboards in kitchen - although this didn't really matter- we just walked across and used the backpackers kitchen.
We were on the ground floor and you can clearly hear people walking around on the floor above you. This is fine as long as they aren't up late and you are wanting to sleep.
Recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

We were a large group of 14, including grandparents & teenagers. The apartments were comfortable & clean . Our teenagers loved the casual outdoor ambience in the evenings, compared to the "stuffy" hotels we usually stay in.
You just need to request for your extra requirements of sheets/towels before 9pm as there is no service after that.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I arrived on a Friday night at the end of the busy christmas period. My first 3 choices of accommodation in Paihia were booked up so I settled for this one after a decent review in the Lonely Planet. The lonely planet was written at least 4 years ago though which is enough time for accommodation to turn BAD-O.

The room was clean enough, myself and 3 friends stayed in an apartment with 2 single beds and a sofa bed for $360 for 2 nights. This price is highly inflated to abuse the busy period and the shortage of accomodation in this area.

I firstly annoyed the grumpy receptionist when I asked to first view the room before handing over $360. This was after waiting for 1/2 hour outside a closed door with "back in 20 minutes" written on it.

I then annoyed her further by phoning the out of hours number (at about 6.30pm) to tell her that she'd given me the wrong key and I couldn't lock my door to go out. The following morning I had no desire to mention the squeekiest, wonkiest bed on planet earth for fear of having my head ripped off and chewed to a paste. I suffered the bed for 1 more night before thankfully leaving this place.

On a plus note, it's conveniently located and my room had an awesome shower. There are many other places in the area to choose before this one though.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
I am surprised by the comments about the bed...most of our guests compliment us on the best beds they have found in any hostel, but I have investigated and found no problem with the bed.
As for price, well, yes, it is more expensive at the end of December, which is the same as any where else on the planet where prices are raised due to increased demand. I believe we are competitively priced at all times, and considering we offer a free pool, jacuzzi, bikes, kayak, tennis, the price we charge is a fair one.
Queenstown, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I've stayed here several times and thought it was about time to post a positive review. Always a friendly laid back feeling. I stayed in the double room which has a bunk bed with a double bed and single on top. Comfiest bed ever in a backpackers! Especially great after a long day out in the sun and sea. Our room had it's own washroom which was handy, although showers were shared. Nice big wardrobe, table and chairs, fridge and small t.v. The grounds and shared areas were clean and the palm trees around the pool were lovely. I noticed they encourage recycling and had a herb garden. Other facilities are very good too, nice big kitchen, bbq and outdoor seating. I especially love the wooden carved crab chairs. A little vague on checkin, such as no advising of checkout times, (but notices were in rooms) , a quick general orientation of the place could be helpful, but on the whole it was quick and friendly. I noticed other staff were whistling as they worked and looked generally happy, no wonder as the Bay of Islands is a great place to work and live!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Brescia, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I stayed in the Bay adventurer for 2 nights on 30th November and 1st December 2010, in a 6-bed female dorm.

Room: wasn't that big, though there was a cupboard in which to put everyone's bags, and you could lock your space (locks not provided). The room was clean and the bed sheets laundry fresh, mattress and pillow comfy.

Bathrooms: clean. Showers take a while to get to hot water though (they say it's the methane heating, but having it at home I have quite an experience with it... and it's just that their heater is probably very old). Also, water from the floor in the showers doesn't go away that fast, but I suppose it's because they recycle and use it to flush the WCs (environmentally friendly => :D; water not going => could be a hygiene problem)

Common areas: there is a swimming pool (didn't try it, I prefer the beach), supposedly a spa (didn't get where it was), a cool outside deck where you can have your meal, cook BBQs and meet the people that stay there, and a very clean common kitchen to be used by all the guests. The fridge is interestingly organized, since they have vertical containers that everyone can tag with their name room n° and date of departure (so not plastic bags running around or random food on the shelves); though when I was looking for a clean container I found some had been washed but not drained properly (and the water that remained inside got quite dark in the meantime...). Cutlery and pots are more than enough for the guests that stay there, though it's not the same for cooktops and surfaces: unluckily one cooktop wasn't working while I was there, but anyway the kitchen is arranged quite badly: you bump into other people (and pots) while cooking and it can be upsetting at times.
There is CCTV inside the kitchen to keep an eye on the cleaniness (there is a panel saying that if you don't clean after yourself you won't get your key deposit back - seems quite fair to me, and it seems to work).

Location: far from the music and noise of the Pipi (I don't really know if those who stay at the Pipi notice it, but enjoyed not having to bother. The Pipi is a cool place to hang out, by the way), of course you cannot really shut up people if they talk loudly outside of your room (it happened on the first night I was there, though I didn't check the time... anyway somebody told them to shut up and they did).
It's - as any other hostel on Kings Rd - a short stroll from the city center and the Wharf, so really everything is at hands

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

We stayed at Bay Adventurer for a few days. Nice accomodation, clean kitchen and a lounge to watch movies or TV. It was possible to use mountenbikes to tour around the Bay. You van even use a kayak for free. The owners are really nice, they even sent us an item we forgot at their hostel, for free! Great place and good prices!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Bay Adventurer? Share your experiences!