“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
St Ives Cornwall
“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We booked this hotel through bokings.com after looking on the internet at quite a few motels/hotels in Pahia... I decided on this one as there was Wifi and a guest laundry...
We had been travelling about for some time and would need to do some laundry....
We arrived about lunch time, as most of the other reviews mention, the welcome was lovely.....
SARA checked us in and could not have been more helpful....
Our room 813 was everything one could wish for, with a balcony overlooking tropical type gardens....This block was a little way from the main building but even umbreallas are provided in the wardrobe for use in the rain!
Very quiet...More than adequate teas/coffees and cups etc..mini bar/fridge...
2 Queen beds large flat screen tv, and Wifi access - although this did cost $10 for 24 hours...but cheaper than some places we had stayed and very quick easy to work from the room.....
Staff were SO helpful and polite.....
Everything is thought of, there is hand wash detergent, iron, ironing board provided in room and many toileteries - laundry (not very far from our room) very easy to use... When travelling around for weeks some people need to do washing!
I had an issue where my purse and i phone had fallen from my rucksack on the walk out, and when we reached reception they could not have been any more helpful...luckily phoning the police for me and someone had handed it in at the local liquer store!!! phew!
We only ate breakfast one of the days, they finish serving at 9.30..., but very nice and the waiting staff lovely... We had a buffet one night, plenty of choice and A la carte another night, all lovely.
We will be back here again the next time we go to Paihia....
Such a nice relaxed feeling about the whole property.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Graeme H, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands. We are very happy that you found our amenities and service to your satisfaction. The team here are always pleased to read that their performance is appreciated by our guests and that this adds to the quiet relaxed atmosphere you mention. Hoping to see you back with us one day!
Regards Graeme Horsley General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Ipswich, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed for three nights from 25/2/13 and booked our two bedroom Unit through ANZCRO in Australia, and were pleasantly surprised with our Unit, it is very modern, clean and the beds were very comfortable. The reception staff on arrival were very nice and nothing was too much trouble, a porter was organised to take our luggage to our room, and this really helped us after our drive from Auckland. It was great to get the newspaper to our door each morning. The second bedroom where the two single beds are felt a little cramped, but met our needs. The bathroom was airy and modern, and great water pressure and nice hot shower. The room is open plan style with the Flat Screen TV on the wall where the queen bed is in the main area of the room. There is a mini bar fridge, and when we needed ice with our drinks of a night time, we went down to the kitchen and the staff gladly gave us some ice, which was really appreciated. This hotel did not have a toaster in our room, if you did not plan to use the Restaurant for meals, this is a problem, as we wanted to make own toast for breakfast, but the staff did advise the kitchen would toast our bread for us if we wished. We felt that for a Unit for 4 people the main room did not have sufficient seats for all, and some of us had to sit on the bed, but this is only minor issue, and over all it was a really great stay, very quiet, clean and efficient hotel, thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay. Russell S, William S & Carol M.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands and we are very happy that you found the accommodation to your satisfaction and that we helped make your stay in Paihia an enjoyable one. Regards Graeme Horsley General Manager
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked a Bay of Islands package through AAA which included 2 nights at this lovely hotel. We arrived tired and weary after a long bus ride from Auckland and the staff was so incredibly kind and gracious to us, it immediately calmed us and we knew we were in the right place.

However we were given a very nice but not air conditioned room in the back of the hotel. Although there was a stand up fan in the room, we were very disappointed especially since I had previously checked their website which said they have a/c. The very kind gentleman, Albert, who helped us with our luggage told me that they do have some air conditioned rooms so I thought I would just ask to be moved into one of them. Our lodging was prepaid so I am sure our package included the room with no a/c, but probably because they were not totally sold out, and also because the staff was so fabulous, they agreed to put us into a room with a/c. It took a few minutes since they were in the process of cleaning most of those rooms, but we were given a lovely room with a/c (a special thank you to the front desk staff for moving us!!!). My husband really enjoyed the balcony.

The rooms are appointed very nicely and the beds are very comfortable! The bathrooms are large and very clean with lots of towels. There is a large flat screened TV and also a little wet bar area with a mini-fridge. If you want ice, the same person who helped with our luggage (Albert) brings it up to your room. Immediately Albert caught on that I like ice and would bring 2 buckets for me, one that I could put into the mini-fridge to have for later. I really appreciated that!

There is a restaurant in the lobby of the hotel. We didn't eat breakfast there but we did have dinner there one night. The staff there is equally kind and efficient even as they got busier and busier.

Interesting side note: We charged the meal to our room bill but there was no place on the check to add a tip, which we thought was unusual, so we left a $5 bill on the table. The next day I got my nails done at a salon and asked the nail lady about how to tip in restaurants since there is no place to add it when using a credit card, and she explained that tipping is not a normal thing in New Zealand and that even if you leave cash, most places will donate that to a local food bank or some other local organization. So if you are not familiar with this, just be aware that unlike in the US where tipping is expected just about everywhere, New Zealanders believe their salary pays them to do a job well done. However it should be mentioned that NZ wait staff typically makes about $16/hr which is far more than US minimum wage.

I am not familiar with the Scenic Hotel chain, but if I travel to the Bay of Islands again I will definitely stay there. I also will look for their properties when traveling to other countries. We were treated so graciously and everyone was so friendly - despite initially getting a non-air conditioned room, everything else was absolutely perfect.

Just always clarify what kind of room you get when booking a package.

Kudos to the front desk for being so accommodating and kudos to the hotel for employing such awesome people!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands. I am pleased to read that the staff concerned were able to make your stay that much more enjoyable by upgrading you to a room with A/C. I am also sure that Albie will be very pleased with his contributions!! We are very happy you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to your possible return in the future. Regards Graeme Horsley General Manager
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was treated respectfully from the moment I arrived, and the service was faultless. A porter was sent to help me with my bags, which was a great relief as my room was up a flight of stairs. The rooms have a motel style from the outside but look like a posh hotel room on the inside. I liked the fact they had put the separate shampoo, conditioner and shower gel bottles already in the shower for you, instead of having to take them in yourself. The bed was comfortable and I had no noise issues. There was even a hifi in the room, although I didnt actually use it. I ordered dinner in my room, which came quickly and was utterly delicious - top quality food.The only thing I could fault was that one of the three face flannels was a bit dirty, but as I was on my own I just used one of the others.

Room Tip: I was in 310, which was quiet, and on the first floor (also top floor), so away from the cars parked...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Graeme H, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands after your recent stay. Myself and the team are pleased to hear that everything was to your satisfaction but do apologise for the standard of the one face cloth - we will ensure that close scrutiny is given to this area in future. Hopefully you will return to the Bay of Islands again and we look forword to the opportunity of providing your accommodation needs once more.
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

When we arrived in Pahia we had no idea where to stay. We checked out a few hotel and were shocked at the prices for a night. We had stayed in a Scenic Hotel in Franz Josef and loved it so stopped in to check the hotel. The reception staff were so helpful and patient as we checked out a couple of rooms in different areas of the property and chose one close to the pool & ground level. It was a great value for the money. Everything was a short walk away. Stayed for 5 nights and did our day touring from there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Graeme H, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands. It is gratifying to know that the standards and facilities of our hotels across the country are such that you had confidence to call in and end up staying with us in Paihia. Myself and the team here are very happy that your stay was comfortable and enjoyable and that you fouund all to your satisfaction.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

nice medium size hotel,only one block walk to seafront,a few nice restaurants,a wine shop and a general store.the lobby area and restaurant were big and bright.the staff were nice and helpful.The buffet had plenty of choice and good coffee.there was a laundryroom which costed about £3 for a washer and dryer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review after your recent stay at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands. The team here is happy you found all facets of your stay to your liking.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Couldnt get into where we normally stay so tried this hotel. Very friendly checkin. Beautiful large, spotless room.Great bathroom & excellent quality toiletries. Extremely comfortable beds and good tv with good range of channels. We were in an upstairs Garden Block room with balcony at the rear of the hotel looking onto beautifully landscaped tropical garden. Very quiet. The hotel is a 2 min walk to the waterfront (thus it's lovely and quiet) and a 7 min walk along the interesting waterfront to the main shops. The bar/restaurant decor is lovely and contemporary. My only critique is the pool area. The pool is ok but the poolside area is relatively small with only a couple of loungers and it doesnt quite have the feel of wanting to lounge around there for an extended period with a book. If this area was extended with more loungers & creating the same atmosphere and high standard as the rest of the hotel, it would make the property a complete 10 out of 10. We thoroughly enoyed out stay and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The Garden Rooms are very quiet and have a beautiful tropical garden outlook
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Graeme H, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands!. We are very pleased you found all facilities to your liking.I take your comments on board about the swimming pool area and will look into the possibility of expanding the seating area - we only installed the loungers at the begiining of summer so share your views on improving this area. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Paihia and the Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands before too long! Regards Graeme Horsley General Manager

Been to Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands? Share your experiences!