“Stunning views, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Paihia Beach Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   116 Marsden Road, Paihia 0200, New Zealand   |
Ranked #25 of 44 hotels in Paihia
Auckland
“Stunning views, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in a great sized one bedroom on the third level & the views were stunning. Check in was smooth although the check in staff wasn't as knowledgeable on the local area as we'd expect from a four star hotel. The room was clean, quiet at night, very well appointed and had amazing views from the private deck. The pool area was wonderful with plenty of loungers and free towels, great ocean views, a good sized pool and five spa pools. It's a shame that the restaurant wasn't available for pool side snacks and drinks until late afternoon, they're missing out on lucrative business by not making this service available earlier. The local restaurants & ferries are just seven minutes walk away along the foreshore so you can leave the car behind and enjoy a few drinks. We'll definitely return next time we're in Paihia.

Room Tip: Levels three & four have the best of the amazing views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

* Note. This review is only about the spa, not the resort itself.

My mum and I were just recently up in Paihia for a day and we decided to treat ourselves to a last minute pedicure. We had heard from the locals that the spa at the Paihia resort was a bit pricey (We paid $65 for a 30min pedicure, compared to other places which offered $50 for the same treatment) but was worth it. As this was my treat for my mum and I, I rang up the Spa at Paihia resort and we were so thankful that they could fit us both in.
As we arrived, the spa looked well presented, professional and top quality.
However, It all went down hill from here.
We were introduced to our spa therapist. She was very unenthusiastic, no smile and we did not feel very welcome. We were then told that we would have one spa therapist each, but this didn't happen and we ended up both sharing this therapist. It felt like she was rushing both of us so we didn't feel like we were receiving a personal one-on-one treatment. My mum and I were seated back to back, not a big deal, but as this was supposed to be a mother-daughter bonding experience, not being able to see or talk to each other and having to twist around to show each others nail polish colours was a bit annoying. Worst of all however, is that this therapist we had lacked professionalism. Comments like "I should really use the proper tool for this... but I cant be bothered getting it" left me totally shocked! Also little mistakes like starting to paint my nails after they had been soaking in oil and then realising and having to get all the nail polish off and start again was a little frustrating. She made little effort to make conversation and when we did talk, she seemed very disinterested.

After our treatment, My mum and I were discussing the poor service received. We noted that especially with a cruise ship in the bay, we would have been embarrassed for our overseas visitors who could possibly receive the same poor service within New Zealand.

I work in the hospitality industry and have a personal high standard of how I think service should be. I was extremely disappointed that I was paying extra money for the service of a 5 star resort spa and didn't at all feel I had received the service that was expected.

I will not be coming back to this spa and certainly will not recommend it to any locals or tourists in future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bethesda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Beautiful views and nice-sized room but the place is not kept up very well. Crumbs from our kitchen use were never vacuumed up, kitchen utensils were not very clean on our arrival, and what appeared to be bird droppings in the public hallway near the elevator were left unattended throughout our 4-day stay. The front desk clerk showed little knowledge of or interest in local restaurants or attractions. Seemed very overpriced compared to other places we stayed in New Zealand.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were on the top floor room 401 which have great views over the sandy beach and the Bay of Islands and there was a large terrace area, The suite was well fitted with kitchenette and lounge area. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was good.Its only a five minute very lovely walk around to the main marina in Paihia where the trips depart. My husband needed a gym facility during our stay which was available just 3 minutes walk away on a pay and go basis.

Room Tip: The top floor suites are very good on floor 4, the lower down you go and the less views you will get...
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

We booked the so-called pool front ocean view room. After check into the room we can see many restaurant tables between our room window and the pool. It looked like the tables open 24 hours and anyone can sit there just stare at our room. You would not want to close your window curtains 24 hours to lose the ocean view. So we called the front desk and requested to change room. The first lady was nice but she can't make the decision. So second woman who sounded like a manager but a very rude manager asked us to pay extra $90 (!) per day for the room switch. She said we have booked at cheap rate. However we booked at a higher price than what they listed for the same "$90 extra room" (or whatever they call it) on the hotel web site. We tried to resson to the manager but she seemed no any patient with hotel guests other than asking for extra payment. I did stay the hotel consider the nice location. Other than bad front desk service, the hotel room would need some fixup - missing desk chair; many things broken such as light, microwave. We would not come back this hotel in the future when we take vacation again in the area.

• Stayed January 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Originally we were only going to stay here for one night because it's not cheap but in the end decided to book for two nights - and were very glad we did. The pool area was lovely and quiet and the pool itself clean, fresh and very inviting. We booked in for spa treatments and highly recommend the reflexology foot massage. There aren't words to describe how amazing I felt afterwards. The breakfasts were excellent, very tasty and great service in the restaurant. Our room was fantastic, very clean and had everything that we could have wanted. The only slight disappointment was when we ordered the meat room service platter, it was okay but I have definitely had a lot better. But as the breakfasts were so good I guess we may have just caught the chefs on a busy night. All in all, we had a wonderful stay here and wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Fremantle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and wanted to stay longer. We had a fourth floor room (404) with fantastic views which were just gorgeous from our large balcony. The bed was really comfortable, rooms serviced daily if preferred, reasonable sized TV with sky movies and free broadband. The service was top class and the reception girls we dealt with were always pleasant, friendly and always had a smile. I had a pedicure and manicure in the Resort Beauty Spa which was good and my husband and I had an hour couple's massage which was so relaxing. Soap, shampoo and conditioner was supplied in the shower in large dispensers which were great as was soap in bathroom sink. Hairdryer supplied, iron, ironing board, kettle, coffee, teas, milk, mini bar. We could not fault this resort, the food at the Pure Taste Restaurant was lovely and we had some lovely meals there (which I will cover in another review), the waitstaff were so helpful and we had some lovely chats with them. This resort is just around the corner from the main bay and was a lot quieter which we preferred. We just loved Paihia Beach Resort and would love to stay here again. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 404 on the fourth floor which had magical views of the Bay of Islands, a huge balc...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Paihia Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!