“Great service, gorgeous location” 4 of 5 stars

Paihia Beach Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   116 Marsden Road, Paihia 0200, New Zealand   |
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Paihia
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great service, gorgeous location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Third stay at Paihia Beach Resort, bought the kids this time and they lived in the pool. Service as always was first class, all the staff went out of their way to be helpful and generous. We didn't do the hot stone massage this time but have done in the past - brilliant and not to be missed. Well done again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Auckland - New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is my 1st ever review and have just driven back from the 2 best nights away for a long time. Have just finished reading some of the bad reviews for this place and can't help thinking that they must have stayed at another place or be plain whingers. (or school teachers) I've had my own tourism business in rentals & motels for many years and totally enjoyed our stay at the Paihia Beach Resort. Very clean rooms, fast hard wired broadband (FREE) simple menu but good quality food breakfast and dinner. Only Mistake we made in Paihia was to dine out one night at the expensive Water Front Restaurant. Yes the menu at the resort was limited but adequate well cooked, well presented. Now the service... I couldn't fault it. Didn't see a spider, cockroach or rat anywhere near the place.
Now the price .. don't b!@# about the rate when you know what is is before you get there. Worried about money then buy a pup tent and stay at the camp ground. We enjoyed the place and will be returning there asap. Loved it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We loved our Bayfront top floor room with great balcony and good amenities except a flaky WiFi system. Location was great for walking to stores, beaches and restaurants but then, every lodging in Paihia can probably say that. Breakfasts were good if limited in selection and dinner and lunch were good but not super memorable. In all, it was a very nice place with helpful albeit not always effective staff. But it looked a lot like a dozen other places along the beach there so I would do my research on how best my money would be spent there. Our stay was booked for us and I suspect we paid too much as we got two massages and a dinner and wine coupon when we checked in!

Room Tip: I assume all rooms are ocean view but the top floor was nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Of all the hotels in New Zealand this was too expensive. The location was good. The experience at the restaurant was awful. View was nice. Three other groups complained. I hope it was off at night but...

Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was without a doubt the worst experience we have had anywhere. We paid $660 per night for 3-Rooms thats a total of $1940.00 for 1-night and seriously we would have been better at a motel next door paying $150.00 per night.. Luxury Spa resort..!! No Way.. Maybe in the past, but now they have new Owners and it seems customer service is the last thing on their minds

The only positive was Rachel who being a receptionist tried her best to make sure our stay was comfortable.. However, the operations manager Seriously had no Idea of what she was doing.

1. On Check-in, telling me and my colleagues off for starters keep your children quite there are other guests.. Her tone of voice was not friendly at all, I am in hospitality and if I have a situation like this, we say to guest politely, sir/ mam, we hope you enjoy your stay, however, can I please request that you keep your noise level down after 9pm, without being rude to you. I hope you can understand there are other guests… Anyways we ignored this.

2. On arriving in our rooms, we had cot instead of a rollaway, so we came down to the reception and requested this to be changed, again, your operations manager, said the housekeeping is gone, I will see what I can do.!! after 10-minutes finally she obliged, however, when the roll away was delivered by her, she could not unfold the baby cot, my wife kindly offered to assist, she dumped the roll away in the middle of the lounge, no thanks, no have a nice stay, but just a tired look, showing that am glad this is over.

3. We then discovered empty cigarette packets on the bench top, which we passed on to your operations manager, again no remarks.. No apologies..!!

4. Next we asked about broadband/ Wi-Fi, got given the password etc., but there was no signal. Called reception, got told your room should have the best signal..!! maybe because of the concrete walls, we are still testing our Wi-Fi as its new system..!! (Really for a 5-star Resort..!!)

5. Then got told why don’t you plug in via Ethernet cable.. Ok, so we are looking everywhere, but can’t locate the cable. .Called reception again, asking about this, got told there has to be a cable, keep looking and you will find it. We kept looking and then decided to go to my colleagues room to see if they have one.. Yes, they had the cable..!! tried calling reception, phone went to automated message that the reception is closed and only available until 10pm, (it was 4.30pm in the afternoon..!!) We tried several times, then gave up and again went down to reception, only to be told that oh this must be a mistake, WE ARE STILL TESTING OUR PHONE SYSTEMS..!! (Seriously, for a 5-star Resort, in your peak season, you certainly have a lot of testing going on)..

Further I got told, you are from hotel industry as well you should know how things work in hotels..!!

6. We advised of the internet issue and that it was crucial for us as I had some work that I needed to do, I was told that they will give me another room so I can do the work.. 5-minutes later, they changed their minds and said oh we are fully booked, THIS WAS A STRAIGHT UP LIE..!! We could book rooms on-line using my smartphone for the day, not 1 but up to 3 or more.

7. Ants, Spider Webs, in my colleagues room all over the floor, called the reception, the owner turns up with ant spray and vacuum..!! No apologies not remorse of any kind

8. Finally on Check-out, I asked your operations manager, if everything was in order and they needed my barter card. I was clearly told, they have the details already which barter card faxed to them, we handed our keys and requested for you to contact us prior to charging the card, as we would like to give you some feedback.

9. Next day we get a call from you suggesting that you were disgusted that we have made a runner and that you will call the police.!!!!

Get your facts right, this is not a very professional way to address a person from similar industry, specially, when you know they are directors of 3 Hotels in Auckland and it is very unlikely they will run away without paying you.

Overall it ruined our holiday and my friends and colleagues cut their trip short and went straight back home as they had a terrible time. No thanks to Piahia Beach Resort..!!

Room Tip: Make sure you check your inclusions. We were told that the room price includes Spa for 2-persons, on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Guatemala City, Guatemala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is one of the worst experiences I have had in decades of traveling.
Mind you that this is a place that purports to have a 5 star rating and we had reserved a package for more than $600 per day incl. taxes. It could not have been more disappointing.
Judging from previous comments left @ Tripadvisor, they have not learned anything over the years. One of the big problems still seems to be the lack of personnel. Obviously, you cannot run a 5-star-hotel/resort with hardly any and/or untrained service personnel.
First off, there was nobody to help with our luggage (apart from the lady at the front desk with very high heels who held her fingers as if her nails had recently been done).
When opening the fridge in the unit, it had dead ants in it and mold all over (contents was replaced and fridge cleaned - by the same lady from the front desk who seemed to be the only employee at hand at the time - although an ice tray was never replaced).
There was no WiFi in the room - that was installed two days after we moved in and touted as a great advance. Before that, we had to go down to reception to get a signal.
The people in charge of cleaning did a LOUSY job: the garbage container under the sink was not emptied, a dead cockroach was not removed during two days although it was clearly visible, the carpet was not vacuumed, and beneath the sofa sitting cushion there were old crumbs of undeterminable age left there from previous renters. One day, they did not replace the bag of plunger coffee that had been consumed the previous day.
The bathroom, although nicely renovated recently, lacked a vanity mirror for close-up application of makeup.
The restaurant Puretaste and their service (see separate comments on this one in the restaurants section) also left a lot to be desired.
As mentioned above, we had booked a package (which included breakfast and daily use of steam room/sauna plus a massage for both of us) about which nobody at the hotel knew that it even existed.
Instead, they gave us ONE voucher for a massage. When wanting to use it and calling the Spa, I never got an answer. Turned out the the Spa was outfitted with one single therapist who was also in charge of answering the phone. She was busy massaging somebody and had no open slots so I could use my voucher.
After complaining about many of these things to the owner and telling him that we wanted to leave a day earlier than planned, he agreed to not charge us for that additional day (which his managing couple had insisted on).
However, even though they never delivered the Spa parts of the package, they charged us full price for the 3 nights we stayed there. We also never had any of their breakfasts and were charged for them.
On our day of leaving, we never found the luggage cart (and, of course, no porter either) so everything had to be carried to the car by hand.
Summing it up: a completely overpriced 5 star wannabe that probably deserves 2 stars and maybe a third one for the view of the bay - nothing more. I would advise anybody to stay clear of this place.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed 5 nights and notwithstanding the rather disappointing weather we had a lovely stay. Accommodation is excellent with very well equipped kitchen and dining area which made breakfast easy and cheap. Food in Tastes restaurant was of a very high standard and good value.the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The only negative from our point of view was that the childrens' playground opposite was occasionally a bit noisy.

Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Get a room on 1st or 2nd floor as opposed to ground floor so you can get the view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Paihia Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!