“Very helpful and friendly.” 5 of 5 stars

Bali Hai Motel
4.5 of 5 Motel   |   8-10 Coutts Avenue, Paihia, New Zealand   |
Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Paihia
Lincolnshire
“Very helpful and friendly.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Barbara is one of the most friendly moteliers I have met. We had some dramas with some of our flights and other accommodation and she helped us out, far beyond what she needed to do.

We stayed ins 2 bedroom unit that had great views. The bathroom brand new. Tv's in all rooms. Kitchen was well stocked.

Location is a bit out of paihia central, but if you have a car it is no problem. It is also walkable but it is over a hill. When we were booking we found a lot of motels were really expensive but Bali hai was good value for money.
I definitely recommend this motel.

• Stayed March 2013
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello Cherie
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and so quickly too. I am glad that you found the motel had what you needed, and that you felt the rate reflected a fair value. I wish the 3 of you well with your onward travels.
Barbara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Paihia, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

An excellent facility. Well appointed modern room with lots of nice touches.
Wonderfully clean and very well equipped. Good wifi connection
Friendly welcome, good advice about the area. ...............................Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jonathan & Jan
Thank you for such a lovely review - I truly appreciate it. Barbara
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Very pleasant, well presented and clean motel with a very helpful and courteous manager, Barbara. It is a short walk to the main town but a very pleasant one unless of course you don't like walking then you take your car. Can also walk to and from town around the coastal path when the tide is out. Great views and a most enjoyable stay especially as we only originally intended staying for one night and were able to stay for three which gave us access to the town Piahia and Russell by using the local ferry.

Room Tip: Personal choice of type of room, all rooms have great views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Sue & Graham
Thank you for staying the extra nights, and for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay.The coastal walk from us to Paihia is lovely. It makes my day when I know guests have had a good stay and we really enjoy receiving our positive reviews. Thank you!
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great views, clean and well presented, modern bathroom, extremely friendly and helpful manager, Barbara. Excellent attention to detail and great BBQ with all cooking requirements provided. Short drive to main beach and shopping areas. Modern, clean kitchen with all facilities for cooking.

Room Tip: Room 9 has more extensive views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Well, thank you!! That is the kind of review I like to read:)
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review, and for providing such a neat summary of what we offer. Best regards,Barbara
Tamarac, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This 9 room motel located about a mile from the actual beach area is great for a mountain goat. The manager, Barbara, is very sweet and tries to be helpful. In fact, because we were booked in room #9 at the very end of the building, she allowed us to park in the space reserved for unit #2. Visualize a building half way up a hill with open carports under each room. The access to the rooms is via a steep wooden staircase or by walking up a steep driveway to the rear of the building where there is a continuous patio running behind the units. After dragging our three roller bags (we were packed for 3 weeks and 2 climates, plus a wedding) up the hill (Barbara helped) we then dragged them down the patio to room #9. Since I am handicapped it was a real chore. She wanted us to do the reverse when we left and would not allow us to back up the driveway along the building that we dragged the bags up so that we could load them at the patio level. The room was fine but not anything special. Not much of a view and a long way from the beach by foot. The weather was perfect so there was a nice cool breeze, but had it been hot, there would not have been adequate ventilation. There was inadequate water pressure in the stall shower. We had a sitting area (with an extra bed) as well as a decent sized bedroom. There was also sufficient closet space and the rooms were clean. Wi-fi was available at no charge. As nice as Barbara was, we will not return to this facility. There are so many more in the area.

Room Tip: There are only 9 rooms all up the hill and on the second level.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hello Dick, thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is disappointing to read that you feel the property is for mountain goats.

However, we have a wide range of people visit and all of them manage our access well.

We do check with guests who specify they are likely to have difficulty with access, and in some cases I turn bookings away, if we cannot meet requirements. Unfortunately, I only got a request for lower floor and extra pillows, and at no point was I advised that you would have mobility issues.

I did upgrade you to the one bedroom, at no cost to you, from the studio as I thought the extra space and furniture in that room would be better for you.

I do have to say we have excellent showers, and high pressure and we are less than 2 mins walk to the nearest beach, and I regularly explain to people how to gain beach access. There are many beaches in Paihia, not just the ones in town.

With regard to parking to load up your car, I did say, I did not want you to do that, as the area
you wanted to do that from is not a safe parking place for a vehicle.It is too narrow, and opening doors or trunks on a slope is not safe, as they usually slam shut. I did notice that you were not happy with me politely saying, I did not want you to do that, and as you say you are physically impaired, so from a safety aspect I made a decision, that this would not be a suitable thing for you to do. That is my job. I do not let anyone park in that area.

Thank you for your positive comments, regarding myself and the property.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

A little outside the city center, we have found a very nice and comfortable hotel with a friendly and magic atmosphere. Beautiful view. Our room was extremely clean and furbished. Barbara the manager of the Hotel is very kind and helping.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are 1km from Paihia and we value the quiet and lack of hustle that gives us. The motel is small, and we differentiate on being personal and hoping that people just relax and enjoy their stay. I am glad to know that you did. Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review. It means a lot.
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of Feb, and were really happy with our suite. It looks newer on the inside than it does on the outside so don't be fooled.

We had a one bedroom deluxe unit. The bathroom looked brand new and modern. The furnishings and kitchen were all updated, and our bed was very comfortable.

You would be better off with a car for this Motel as it is not right in town (I liked this)

The only thing I wasn't completely happy about was the cost of the laundry facilities - it is $5.00 per wash and $5.00 per dry. This seemed excessive. This most I have paid at similar hotels is $2.00 (or I had insuite laundry).

I would still come back here again though.

Room Tip: We had room 9 and it had a great view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review, and for the positive feedback you provided. I am sorry that you felt the cost of a washing load was high. I factor in the cost of water, power, and wear and tear of washing machine, cleaning of laundry into the $5 charge.
We also do provide a guest washing line, where laundry can dry for free.

I really appreciate you highlighting that the motel facade does not represent the internal appearance, this is an older property, and we cannot change drastically the external look.
So, it is good when guests highlight that for us.

I hope you will be able to return in the future. Best wishes Barbara

Been to Bali Hai Motel? Share your experiences!