“Fantastic Motel and Owner” 5 of 5 stars

Bali Hai Motel
4.5 of 5 Motel   |   8-10 Coutts Avenue, Paihia, New Zealand   |
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Motel and Owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was our first holiday to Asia, Australia and NZ covering a span of two months and a number of Guest Homes, Motels, Hotels etc. and we have to say the Bali Hai Motel was amongst the very best we stayed at. Barbara was a fantastic host with nothing being too much trouble. She made us feel right at home, helping with all our planned arrangements as well as supporting us in adding more, (would heartily recommend Para-Sailing, in the Bay). Her local knowledge and standing in the community is excellent, so much so that she organised/arranged for a number of our planned excursions to pick us up direct from the Hotel. The unit was exceptionally clean and maintained that way every day. It contained all that we needed to look after ourselves including the best collection of DVDs’ available (FOC) to give us entertainment during one of our rare nights in! Overall, her place was great value for money and one that we have already recommended to our friends and will certainly use again on our next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms have front and rear access and parking directly underneath room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review, and for remembering your stay here after a long and interesting trip. It was a pleasure to meet you both and I enjoyed our conversations along the way. I remember the "discussion" about the parasailing and you both did really well going on it as soon as you arrived. It is very "high" but as you say the views are worth it.
It is great to know that you may consider a return visit to New Zealand and the Bali Hai motel. As I tell everyone, we are small and personal and with 9 rooms you can really feel at home and part of the property, in a good way:)
I look forward to seeing you both again. Warm regards Barbara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My two boys and I stayed at the Bali Hai Motel for three nights and even though the weather was not great (rained too much for a cruise on the Bay) we felt right at home in our clean and comfortable apartment. Barbara could not have been more helpful and thoughtful to us. The boys were so comfy they did not want to leave the room when the weather cleared up! Thanks for a great stay!

Dear Katrina
I remember you and the boys well, and the inclement weather we had those few days!!
Thank goodness for Lord of the Rings board games.

I do want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. I know once people leave, their busy lives start up again and, a review on Trip Advisor is not top of the priority list. However, it is helpful both to us and future guests, as many people make enquiries from Trip Advisor. I hope that you and the boys will visit again and whilst I can not ensure the weather, I can promise that our standards will only have got better!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I (from germany) stayed there again 2 nights in Dezember and had my greatest stay due our trip through New Zealand.

You get a great appartement for cheap money, free Internet and accses to a collection of great movies for free!

Also you have a carpark spot under your room so it's save at every wheater and you can leave it ther while you're on trips (if you still have booked the room of course i think).

I had an great apartement with a full equipped kitchen and with a teflon pan! (If you book one of these). There are also facilites to wash your clothes and dry them.

For my stay i asked Barara (the owner) for things worth to see around and she gave me some great tips and maps from the area around.

Tip: last time I bookd a 90 Miles Beach tour and a shipping tour through the bay to the famous hole in the rock and had lots of fun!

If i had any questions or something i could ask Barbara everytime. She even called me in the morning to make sure i'm awake so i don't miss my bus for my booked tour.

What more could you want?

I think because of the lovely owner, the great rooms and the stunning view to the bay in Paihia this is still one of the best Motels in New Zealand!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you, one again Benjamin, for staying with us and for commenting on your visit. It is great when people choose us once, but twice is even more special.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have stayed at the Bali Hai Motel twice now. I can't say enough about how welcome we were made to feel, Barbara is a great host and made us feel right at home. The unit was clean and contained all that we needed to look after ourselves! We also really enjoyed the views and the short stroll to the beach. Overall, it is great value for money and nothing attests to this more than having just booked my mum in on her forthcoming trip to NZ!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am glad that you felt welcome and at home. As we are small, it is possible to feel like you belong immediately and that enables you to feel like an individual and that your stay is personal.

I have checked our future reservations and look forward to meeting your mother, and her friend, in March. Thank you once again for choosing the Bali Hai motel, we do not take your custom for granted.
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Had four wonderful nights at the Bali Hai. Our host Barbara could not have been more helpful and catered for our every need. Our room was spotlessly clean and the motel had the most amazing sea views. It was the ideal place to stay while in Paihia, not as noisy as in the town.Just a short walk from main resort. Excellent value for money. I will be telling my friends about this little gem.
Feel we made a new friend in Barbara and hope to return one day.

Room Tip: Small motel. All rooms are high standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you Rita & Steve, for taking the time to write a review. I enjoyed having you visit. I am glad that the motel was perceived as excellent value to you, and that the location and noise levels were not an issue. We are 1km from the beginning of Paihia and we feel this is an advantage in many ways, certainly for quiet and privacy. As many of our guests comment, they feel it is a place to relax after a busy day being a tourist and exploring the area. Thank you both once again & I do hope you make it back in a couple of years.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Bali Hai was the perfect place to start our two week trip of New Zealand Nth Island.
Very modern, clean and well maintained. Barbara was so helpful and it is a credit to her as she does it all on her own, she could not have been more helpful....nothing was too much trouble.
We found it the perfect place to stay as it was close to everything and only a short walk or drive to main shops etc.....we loved every bit of our stay and the cars travelling past were only a few and not a problem at all considering it was peak time too straight after xmas. The hotel is set well off the road so traffic noise was not an issue and where we live in Melbourne is a very quiet street so if traffic was going to be an issue it certainly wasnt for us. I can honestly say that after travelling from Auckland to Bay Of Islands, Taupo, Rotorua, Napier and Wellington that staying at BALI HAI PAIHIA BAY OF ISLANDS....was the best stay out of all and the one we miss the most now back at home.
Thank you Barbara....we will never forget your hospitality and the lovely room we had. Very private and perfect start to our trip. The kids aged 10 and 15 loved it and the fact there was no pool did not bother them as there were so many lovely beached areas to swim and they actually commented on how nice it was staying there and how quiet it was. The garden out the back was lovely and it was all set out lovely and considering there were others staying there it was so peaceful and the perfect relaxation that we needed considering we run our own business back home and life is busy. If we are ever in Nth Island again we will certainly be staying with you and will highly recommend you to anyone we know that is travelling to NZ.

Room Tip: Two bedroom was perfect for us with our two kids aged 10 and 15, we each had a tv in our rooms as we...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you, for such a lovely and detailed review. It is truly appreciated. It is a difficult call when guests leave, telling us how happy they have been, and we have to mention would you mind posting a review on Trip Advisor...this is the trend at the moment. We are impacted by all reviews, good and bad. Thankfully, the bad ones are rare, and that is something we continue to strive towards. I do not want unhappy people staying, it is not fair on me or them. People have to make choices based on an array of information and it is important to get it right. I am glad that for you choosing the Bali Hai was just right for you all:)
I look forward to hosting you and your family again in the future.
Barbara ~ Manager
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We visit this fabulous motel on a regular basis. The rooms are very spacious and modern; packed with all the facilities you will need; the 2 bed apartments have 2 flat screen TV's, one in the lounge and another in the bedroom. Kitchen and lounge and bathroom are perfect and well equipped.
The views are stunning from the balcony over the beach; where you can sit and enjoy fabulous sunsets. At the rear of the rooms their is a great BBQ area, which is covered.
Barbara is an excellent host; and is always so welcoming; we have stayed here 3-4 times and she always remembers us; I would not stay anywhere else in Paihia - this motel has it all!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony...the sunsets are beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am delighted to receive your positive feedback - thank you for taking the time to review your visit with us. I look forward to your next trip to celebrate your birthday. We are very fortunate that our balconies do allow people to just sit and watch a sunset with not much but open forest land
between the balcony and the setting sun. I know how busy everyone's lives are, so it is really appreciated when guests take the time to share their feedback, all of which helps other visitors make some informed choices. As a manager of a small motel, I want everyone to enjoy their visit, one unhappy guest is one too many.

Been to Bali Hai Motel? Share your experiences!