“A last resort” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pearl of the Bay

You added Pearl of the Bay to your Saves list
Pearl of the Bay
4.5 of 5 Motel   |   8-10 Coutts Avenue, Paihia 0252, New Zealand (Formerly Bali Hai Motel)   |
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Auckland
“A last resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

A basic road side Motel, with very limited facilities. No pool, gardens or games room etc. It's a long time since I have stayed in accommodation with lino on the floors, and although clean and well maintained, there are much better hotels just up the road. Situated on the main road out of Paihia, so the road noise made a good night sleep impossible.
Suitable for one night as a last resort, if nowhere else was available.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank littleian
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Ian
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Bali Hai, disappointing though it is.
However, it is not always possible to receive positive feedback no matter what we do.
You stayed in a studio unit with 3 adults and your pet dog, and I gave you a favourable rate. At no point do we advertise any of the facilities you say we do not have - and you came to the motel the day before to arrange your accomodation, and you were shown the room in advance. Therefore I find your review a little surprising to say the least.

We have sound tempered glass on all our studio rooms, and no one has ever had a problem sleeping before? I do know that you brought some of your family back to the unit and when I queried the number of people in the room - sometimes that can offend - but for security purposes I need to know.

I think as a reviewer you should be aware that one bad review on Trip Advisor has a hugely damaging affect, and that you owe it to me and yourself to be fair! To say we are a basic roadside motel is not fair and my other Trip Advisor reviews will bear me out. In fact, I will take steps to speak to you about this review Ian, as I feel at the least you should have spoken to me about your issues.

Barbara ~ Manager

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the Bali Hai in mid December. Our first stop on our 3 week trip around New Zealand. We'd had a long drive up from Auckland (made longer by us taking an unplanned detour) but it was well worth it. Great views from the balcony which caught the evening sun and a short (15 min) walk into the lovely township of Paihia - it was a great way to start our trip. The motel had excellent facilities including a BBQ (complete with all utensils and a fridge of condiments - nice touch) and a DVD library. The owner, Barbara gave us a warm welcome and some great tips on what to do during our time in the Bay of Islands. I'd thoroughly recommend the Bali Hai as you're base whilst in Paihia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JBXXIII
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here beginning of December for one week. We had been upgraded for free to the one-bedroom apartment which was immaculately clean. Barbara came to meet us and gave us the use of the babycot for free as we were staying 6 nights. She also gave us a baby bath and a play mat to use during our stay.
The rooms were cleaned daily and beds made, it felt like staying in a hotel. Barbara was available to assist and advise about the area most of the time but never was in your space.
I would recommend this motel to anyone staying in the Bay of Islands, it was first class!!! Thanks Barbara for everything and happy new year x

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MelanieLondon
Thank you for your review, I remember you guys well, I hope Alexander continued to stay well on the remainder of your trip. It is always lovely when people base themselves with us for a while. It means we get to know you, and share some of your holiday and life experiences and vice versa. I enjoyed our chats on the patio, and the mingling with other guests. Thank you for coming to watch me in the Paihia Christmas parade, it was lovely to see guests I recognised from the float!
I do hope that you guys will visit again and as you have family in New Zealand that is a distinct possiblity:)

Best wishes for 2013 to the 3 of you too.
Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Everything was excellent, would stay there again. Can't say much more than that really! Though Merlin the cat was more friendly than Gandalf the cat! Location didn't get an excellent as it is just a tad to far to walk into Paihia but in the summer that might not be a bad thing as it is quieter.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank SpacedMonkey
Well thank you for your review ~ and I am still grinning that you included the cats too.
Merlin, is very friendly you are correct and Gandalf the Grey well he can be a bit more aloof, but he is also very friendly. Of course, the cats do not / are not allowed in the rooms, but as you probably found out, they get enough attention as it is!!

Delighted that the motel also got a good review and I hope to host you here again in the future.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at the Bali Hai during the New years period of this year and really enjoyed our stay. The hostess was amazing, the unit we stayed in was very spacious and clean. The views from our balcony were stunning and I would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hello Hannah thank you for your review. I know you were only here one night, so that makes it even more important that you took the time to post your thoughts. We appreciate that.
We do have high cleaning standards, that is the backbone of what we do, making sure rooms are fresh, clean, and welcoming, for each guest to experience. As I am constantly aware, you do not get a second chance to make a good first impression.
Queensland Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is an awesome hotel, Barbara made us feel so welcome and was incredibly friendly and helpful. Great views from the balcony. Self contained with everything you need. The bathroom is beautiful and brand new, looks as if it has been recently renovated. Love the space to hang your clothes and put your belongings whilst there in the bedrooms. Roomy Lounge with a great sized tv for those rainy days. Lovely BBQ area out the back. This will always be a very memorable place to me as my partner and I got engaged there on the beach down from the hotel!! Beautiful spot, beautiful hotel and lovely owner!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your kind review. "Congratulations again to you and Terry on your engagement, Ruth, a very special event during your holiday. I am glad, you found the room had all that you needed including good space for clothes and personal items.
We have been having some lovely warm days so the BBQ's have been getting a lot of use, in fact I cleaned them both this morning!! Hope to see you all again, maybe after you are married!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The motel is very tidy, the room we stay in is good for two people, love the facility, enjoyed to do our own BBQ at the backyard. The manager us really friendly and helpful, help us a lot. It is a pleasant and comfortable stay. I would like recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hello, thank you for your recommendation - I am glad that you and your partner enjoyed your stay. As I commented in a previous review, we have been having lovely warm days, Kathy, so lots of guests have been using the BBQ's. I hope your journey back to the South Island went well and hope to see you both again in the future.