“Great Stay, Lots of Help, Lovely Management” 5 of 5 stars

Bali Hai Motel
4.5 of 5 Motel   |   8-10 Coutts Avenue, Paihia, New Zealand   |
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Paihia
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Stay, Lots of Help, Lovely Management”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

What should I say? It was simply Excellent. We arrived there and got a very nice room including a Kitchen with a Teflon Pan (that’s really rare!) and everything else you need. The Room offers a great view to the Bay. In the Back and in the Front of the Rooms are some Outdoor Spaces where you can have nice evenings in the Summer time.
The Manager Barbara showed us the room, turned on the refrigerator and the heater and it was shortly comfortable Warm. They also have lots of additional carpets and sheets.

We stayed there for 3 Nights and she asked us Several times if everything is okay or if we need something and gave us grate Tips of Interesting Points around Paihia.
They also have a Great Collection of DVD's which you can watch for free!
There is a Laundry available where you can wash and dry your clothes for a little amount.
The Bali Hai Motel also has a Recycling System to save the Nature and reduce the Rubbish.

Also Barbara helped us booking some Tours around Paihia and showed us some Price offers and things and places to eat or go shopping. Barbara also checked if we are awake in the Morning for our Tours.

It was simply wonderful and we will surely return next time!

Room Tip: Room Number 7
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Owner at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Hello Ben, I hope your sister had a safe trip back to Germany and that work is going well for you
in Australia. Thank you for posting such a detailed review, we never know what it is that will make a guest happy. I have since updated the website to be mobile phone friendly, or should I say smart phone friendly, so that future guests checking us out via mobile, will have an easier screen to read, although I know for you it was not an issue.
I do hope that the rest of your time in New Zealand was fun and pleasant for you. You were one of the most delightful guests and I do believe you will be back for another holiday.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were made to feel like nothing was roo much trouble. The Studio was very well appointed with many little extras. There was a lot of heat options ranging from eco-friendly panel heater that had a timer to a fan blower for bursts of heat as well as a convection heater. I mention this because of a previous review that seemed unfair as we stayed when it was cooler and Barbara did explain these options to us. We saw the same heater in a larger room that we did not need so these heat options were not limited to 1 type of room.

It is a sweet little motel with good views and excellent service and very good value for money.

I'm glad its taken us so long to get around to write this review as it can put paid to some people that either can;t figure out simple heating systems or didn't listen to advice from the owner.

My partner and I think that you would be hard pressed to do better than this motel.

The bathroom was superb in unit 3.

Service and value for money too!!!

Room Tip: Go for a superior room for extra comfort
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us, your comments are much appreciated. I remember you and your partner and I am glad that you settled on a room that met your requirements.
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Well what can I say - Simply Great !!! Great location - quiet, seaview from Room 8 - Great service the host - Andrew was everything you could wish for, funny, knowledgeable and Green ! Good ideas on renewable energy, composting, etc.

Really clean and well thought out units with evrything you could wish for in a motel room.

Even some surprising things, iPod docking stations, DVD library, LCD TVs in lounge and bedroom - all at a very good price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
rangiora
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We enjoyed our winter stay at Bali Hai. We had torrential rain a couple of nights and it was great to be able to snuggle up with a couple of DVDs from the extensive DVD library and know we were high and dry. Although the motel doesn't face the sea you get lovely side-on views of the sea from the balcony and the walk to the shore takes only two or three minutes. It was great having a covered garage in the rain and we walked into town both days- fifteen minutes picturesque trip around the shore, ten minutes down the hill by road.
Once the spa is retiled it will be a great addition. Free wifi is available.
All rooms apart from the twin are a good size- and the twin room was quite adequate. The econoheater worked OK when cranked up full- the rooms would probably be better with heat pumps considering the humidity of the subtropical climate. Bali Hai isn't a new motel but the renovated kitchen and bathroom make it very liveable.
We enjoyed our stay and thought Barbara was a great hostess.

Room Tip: If the wifi stops let Barbara know- storms affect it but she can reconnect it straight away.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback, I hope that you all had a pleasant trip back to the South Island at the end of your holiday. The DVD library does come in handy on those "rare" (ha-ha) rainy nights. Yes, we get a little rain, but it keeps the countryside beautifully green.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Excellent facilities, friendly hostess, Barbara, stunning views, our top rated Golden Chain of all that we encountered in three weeks of touring the North Island. Would return tomorrow if possible.

Room Tip: All rooms had good views. Comfortable and well stocked throughout. All rooms light and airy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Janet, what a lovely review thank you. Please feel free to return anytime - we will have a room waiting for you.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in early July. We found the facility very cold with minimal heating and lino flooring with inadequate matting to keep your feet warm. The spa pool was advertised, but it was closed for repairs. We were not informed of this upon booking our stay so we were disappointed. The Bali Hai is an environmentally friendly place, but there is a point to providing your clients with comfort. High condensation in the room by morning meant that recycled towels did not dry by evening. Barbara was only available to help us with requests between the hours of 8-5 which in any other hotel/motel, you can find service available 24-7. Barbara did tell us that the Bali Hai is usually not open during the winter months and asked us for constructive feedback which I am sure she will take on board for her future clientele and plans for the motel. The Bali Hai would be an affordable option for those on strict budget over the summer. There is a wonderful BBQ facility available to patrons and newly renovated kitchenette in room was well set out. Not a place to vacation with your teens as there is no Sky TV or Free View channels.

Room Tip: Don't request unit 6 as this is located directly above the spa pool room.
, Owner at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with elements of your stay. I believe you stayed in room 8, which was a free upgrade from a studio room to a one bedroom as you were travelling with your teenage son.

The suggestion of additional rugs is a good one, and I am seriously considering that suggestion, so that is a valid point.

Yes, unfortunately the spa pool is closed, as it is a mosaic tile spa pool and some tiles have come loose and I opted to turn it off when it is quieter and have the work done during this time. There is never a good time to take a facility out of service and it is not done with any wish to deceive a guest. So, I apologise that you were disappointed in that way.

Yes, we are an environmentally friendly motel, and we offer guests the option to reuse towels on a two night stay. However, we change all towels if that is what the guest requires, and our signage which is minimal clearly suggests that it is an optional choice. Condensation is a fact of life in Northland, and when we service a room we do ensure that windows are wiped, and areas are dried.

I am unsure as to why the guests thought I was only available between 8 & 5? I actually gave one of the group a towel at 07.35hrs in the morning? I have office hours that open at 8am and close at 8pm but I am available outside of these hours. If I am not on site, I am contactable by phone, which is normal practice for smaller properties.

We do not have SKY TV, we do have 6 TV channels and a complimentary DVD library, which has a great selection of movies. We are an affordable option, and I believe that is important, however, I also believe that the quality of the stay and how you consider guest comfort is part of the contract we enter into as hosts, and I do not wish guests to go away feeling disappointed.

Room 6 is a room which is located above the spa, but this does not cause any detriment to any guest staying in that room.

Thank you taking the time to review my property on Trip Advisor and I hope that you will return to give me the option to improve your guest experience in the future.

Barbara - Owner - Bali Hai Motel Paihia
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This motel is overrated. I booked here a few months back based on the rave reviews it had here. Yes it's clean and ok, the owner/manager however was quite "overly" concerned. If you're a tourist in NZ it might be ok with you if you want to feel welcome and so on, but if you're a local - think again. After our stay here, we booked the next night at Copthorne at a lower price promo and got better value, ambiance and facilities.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Bali Hai Motel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you feel the motel over rated. The manager that I believe you are referring too, is no longer here. I agree it is a judgement call as to how much information you provide to a guest, and if that balance is not right it can be uncomfortable.

I have met with the general manager of the Copthorne hotel in Waitangi, on a different matter and it is a fact that Millenium hotels, can carry the cost of deals to guests, there is a possibility you will use the bar or the restaurant, and so they benefit in that way.

We go through a stringent assessment each year by Qualmark, New Zealand tourism's official mark of quality assurance, and since 2002 have maintained a 4 star category, and last year earning a 4 star plus.

I hope that if you are in the Bay of Islands again, you will give me the opportunity to improve your view of the property, and the check in process.

Thank you for taking the time to review the motel on Trip Advisor.

Barbara - owner - Bali Hai Motel Paihia

Been to Bali Hai Motel? Share your experiences!