“Let down” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I took my children away for Easter and booked into the resort. It's a wonderful location with great amenities - pool, trampoline, kayak hire, giant chess, basketball hoop, pentanque court and lots of room to run around.
One reasons I booked here was they had kayaks for hire and I thought it would be wonderful to kayak out to the falls and around, however, when I made enquires on arrival was told that there was only 1 kayak for hire. Apparently the others had been stolen and while I understand, the kayak hire was a drawcard so we were all a little disappointed. Never mind though - there were other attractions!
We were shown to our room - 3 single beds in a modest room with kitchen and bathroom. First thing you do on arrival for me is go to toilet. When I came to wash my hands, the soap dispenser 'didn't work'. There was a similar dispenser in shower which I tried - same result. I ended up having to go to reception asking her to have a look. They seemed to be empty. She bought us some soap. There was no complimentary milk. A light bulb was missing. We only had half a roll of toilet paper with no spare. Another trip to reception to get that! There was no housekeeping the next day, so no tea/coffee top up. When there was housekeeping, the sopping wet towels were just folded up and put back in the bathroom. I thought they could've stretched to replacing them... The dishwash was so watery, you may as well be doing dishes in plain old water and the ranchslider was a bugger to lock! I hate to moan, but it really let the whole place down! Such a wonderful place!

Room Tip: Their website, I'm sure, advertised that all accommodation had views of the Falls. Rooms 1-4 di...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Nairn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

MAGIC. I love this place. If you want rustic charm, peace and quiet, with beautiful scenery and a friendly, generous patron then I seriously recommend this resort for solo travelers and families. It is a cosy, safe, laid back and hassle free site, not only for solos like me but a fabulous secret enclave for families wishing to truly relax. Remember the holidays where the kids could amuse themselves (teach your kids the art of entertaining themselves like in the old days) and the adults could read a book? Or when families made their own entertainment? This place is tucked away down a small hill away from noise and traffic. It's not in town but only about 3km away (a bonus as far as I am concerned). There is a fabulous big swimming pool, kids play area and bbq. The camping area is on the corner edge of the river, offering a calm, gentle start to the day. Campers' kitchen and shower block were kept very clean on a daily basis, facilities are practical and usable - everything works (bring your own kitchen things if camping ). I believe that if it works don't change it! In this day and age why keep throwing away sound, serviceable facilities in the name of consumer 'modernization' ? I can't wait to get back and enter this precious time zone again. So come on down and enjoy rewind time with me!
Oh, leave a space for my little tent please : )

Room Tip: My tent was perched at the water's edge, looking out to the falls. Perfect. I could not complain...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

After having difficulty finding accomodation one evening during our New Zealand trip, we decided to book the next night's bed before leaving where we were. Wanting to be at the Bay of Islands area, we consulted the free 'Jason accomodation guide' that we had picked up in a tourist i-site. From there we chose the Haruru Falls Resort Panorama, a short drive from Paihai and they had vacancies.The blurb in the guide stated that they were licenced and had a restaurant, just what we wanted, a change( and treat) from self catering for one evening.
We arrived early in the day, and couldn't get into our room but that didn't matter AND the proprioter was really helpful putting our perishables in her fridge till our room was ready.
However when we went back to get in our room and have a swim in the large pool, we read through the info in the room file. There was no sample menu only a take away pizza menu. Upon enquiring , no the restaurant wasn't open 'we haven't got a chef 'was the off hand reply' but I can ring for a pizza for you', . We didn't really want take away pizza, however when the pizza place was rung, they weren't open that night; we were given Indian and Thai takeaway menus 'but there is a charge for delivery'
No thank you
Dinner that evening was at a restaurant in Paihai.... with me driving not drinking. So much for a relaxing treat!
The room we had was ok.
At one time there had been a large double bed in the room with the bed side tables fastened to the wall in the appropriate places.................not any longer, we couldn't reach the tables from the bed. The shower/sit-up bath tub was rather grubby (maybe just it's age)
Looking in the car park there were only 2 cars there so presumed that only 2 rooms were occupied that night ( although the camping area was quite busy), so why were we put in adjacent rooms? I didn't really want to listen to their tv when I was trying to sleep, or be woken up by it next morning.
The motel is in a lovely situation looking out over the Falls, and the sun shines on it as it rises, great picture opportunity

But as the title says, beware, check before you book if you want an on site restaurant as is advertised.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We are return visitors to Haruru. It has been a wonderful place to take our children to over the years and this is the first time we stayed on our own. Usual standard you would expect in the room, everything you need. The service and willingness to "go the extra mile" from Jan and her team are always what make for an enjoyable experience, every time we go there. Looking forward to returning with extended family for our first camping experience in Dec Xmas 2014 holidays.
Vicki & Terry

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Since my last visit in 2013 the already great facilities at this campsite have been enhanced. A lovely 'bure' style barbeque area has been added, and new play equipment for the children. The large swimming pool with comfortable recliners and the view of the falls and lagoon really add to the relaxed atmosphere. Volleyball, trampoline, giant chess and kayaks for hire, provide plenty to do for all ages. There is a restaurant and bar and open air terrace where you can sit with a beer and watch the sun go down.
The staff were as friendly as usual, going out of their way to make sure their guests enjoy their holiday. A lovely family place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Te Puke, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed one night thankfully. Great location, falls spectacular but room left a lot to be desired. New couch, new curtains, new picture on the wall then walk into the bathroom. Shower curtain and no shower mixer so when toilet was flushed I actually got scaled in the shower. Bathroom very old and grotty. Kitchen average with only one plug so you had to decide what you wanted to plug in. It looked like some of the other units had been done up and as they were empty at the time we were there, you have to wonder why we were put in the grottiest one of all.
Big plus were the owners who were lovely, but overall the I think the place could do with a facelift.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

This resort has it all. Motel Units, camp sites, Restaurant, Bar, pool, kayaks, Wharf, boat ramp, BBQ area, kids playground. Units very clean and meticulously maintained property. Friendly helpful owners with extensive knowledge of local attractions. We will be back again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Haruru Falls Resort? Share your experiences!