“Superb Hotel and Area” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 44 hotels in Paihia
London, United Kingdom
“Superb Hotel and Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed here in February 2013. The hotel room was great, clean, comfortable and reasonable size. Staff were friendly and helpful. Wi fi, internet was not free.
We took a few coach trips from this town, i.e. Cape Reinga excursion, '90 mile' beach and the bay of islands in the North Island of New Zealand. The scenery was spectacular and out of this world.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed 2 nights here and in general were happy, the rooms were clean and tidy and the location was good, with walking distance into town. The pool area was small but lovely and enjoyed a nice swim the first day as the hotel was very quiet although the next day it was overrun with children and you apparently had to book the pool in half hour sessions in advance.....bit of a let down as the sun was in and out all day so hard to know when to book for!
My main issue was with the restaurant. It is advertised as 'nirvana indian fare' with prices to match a good indian restaurant so was most dissapointed when it turned out to be microwaved, chewy and truly vile stuff. All 3 in my party took one mouthfull and had to leave. I was told the next day the food is never good, I wish I had known in advance!
I would stay again as the rooms were good and was value for money, but please go to town to eat!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TanoaPaihia, General Manager at Tanoa Paihia Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Fiona

Thank you for your comments and balanced views. Despite your negative restaurant experience you were kind enough to begin and end your commentary with compliments about our accommodation. I hope as you suggest, that you do stay again because we'd like to show you the quality that is typically provided by our resident head chef. Unfortunately, on the evening that you dined, he was away and standards were not maintained. Can I assure you that the "problem" has been removed and no one is more dissappointed with the incident than the head chef and myself.

The pool and spa are open without restriction from 9am to 8pm, the half hour booking stated in our compendiums provides an opportunity for a guest to book the spa exclusively for half an hour if desired. Throughout the whole of this summer, no guest has taken that option but, hundreds have shared and enjoyed both pool and spa. Tanoa Hotels are family owned and we welcome families with children. I'm sorry but I have never seen the pool overrun with children but I have seen a lot of children at times and, for the most part, other guests enjoy their innocent antics and either share the facility with them or wait.

Please contact me personally Fiona if you wish to discuss this further.

Kind Regards
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights so that we had time see the area we had not visited for 40 years after attending a wedding on our second day. We found the rooms large and comfortable; more than we expected for what we paid. The short walk to the coast and the shops was good - not far at all. We could have stayed longer as we feel we didn't do everyting we would have liked to do in the are.
The television was not good. Our trip covering 7 nights in 5 places had only one good television (in Whangarei).
Our towels got changed after the 2nd night (what we left on the floor of the bathroom was folded and put back on the towel rail the first morning).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
TanoaPaihia, General Manager at Tanoa Paihia Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us and we're very pleased that you found our rooms comfortable and exceeding expectations. Please accept my apologies for the reracked towels, this is not our policy and I have addressed the issue. Over the next few months we will be upgrading our TV sets and providing more channels for guests to view. Fortunately, the summer here has provided fantastic weather in the main and visitors have been able to get out and about and make the most of our beautiful attractions. It was a pleasure to host you and we hope you will stay with us again sometime soon.
Best Wishes,
Ted Hatch.
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was impressed when I walked into my room upon arrival. The staff were friendly and the room was clean and well appointed.
However the next day I was less than impressed. I read the card that was in my room. It stated that if I placed my towel/s in the shower they would be replaced and the bed would be made regardless of my linen choice (new linen or existing - I didn't need a change of linen). Upon my return I found my bed unmade, my towel that I left in the wet shower hung up, my bin emptied and the cups I had used left behind. I have never had such poor and inattentive house keeping. TV only had 3 blurry channels.
We were only allowed cold items at breakfast as the hot option were an additional $10 (I saw other guest who had paid for the hot option and had nothing available upon there arrival).
Although I was on contiki I still expect the same level of service that other guest get (although I'm not convinced their service was any better). I would never return/ recommend as I'm not sure of the service I would get.
It's a pity considering it is a wonderful location

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TanoaPaihia, General Manager at Tanoa Paihia Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Nicole

The title to your comments "Inconsistent" was totally fair and, cosistency is a daily challenge that we work hard on to achieve especially with temporary staff hired in during the peak season. That is not passing the blame rather it indicates that our checking processes are not working consistently and I have attended to that, so thank you for the feedback.

For the most part, we are very good at what we do so I'm very sorry that we let you down during your visit. If you plan a return to the Bay of Islands in the future, please give me a call.

Just as an aside, the hospitality industry provides an important avenue of work for seasonal workers and especially students and, we likewise benefit from their availability and efforts.

Kind Regards
gm.tph@tanoahotels.co.nz
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here for two nights whilst on a contiki tour, and found the hotel quite pleasant. The hotel staff were really friendly and accommodating. The room, whilst basic, was clean and had everything I needed. The bathroom was really spacious and clean.

The breakfast was decent for a continental style buffet... there was even fresh fruit!!

The laundry services were reasonably priced too.

No complaints, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Noosag

Thanks a lot for your kind review. It is always a pleasure to get our tour groups in, who add a vibrancy and fun atmosphere to the place and of course we really enjoy the banter we get from our Aussie counterparts. I trust you were able to get around the Bay and see the sites. If you plan another trip here in the future, please contact me, we would really look forward to hosting you again.

Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel while backpacking as it was actually cheaper than a double room in a hostel. The location was a ten minute walk from the seafront which was fine. The room was very big with a double bed and a single bed. There was a fridge and tea/coffee facilities in the room. We used the guest laundry which cost $2 each to wash and dry. There was a swimming pool and hot tub but we didn't use them. One small niggle was that the maid left the curtains open so anyone could see right in to the room. Otherwise a very pleasant stay and we would return.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Ruth

Thanks for staying with us and for taking time to make a commentary on Tripadvisor. Too often satisfied guests don't bother with reviews and therefore potential guests don't have the benefit of those experiences when selecting a property to stay at. So thanks Ruth, we hope you have encouraged others to do likewise.

Incidently, the drawing of sheers to ensure that guest belongings are screened at all times, is policy here. However, we have now included this requirement in the daily house keeping check-list to ensure it is not overlooked.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Booked the hotel for 1 night stay during my North Island tour.

We tired after a long drive , reached the hotel at 10.30pm and had friendly staff wait up for us and give us the room keys – Impressive
Got into the room, found an old plasma box ( TV) which had only 3 channels ( Doesn’t matter as we didn’t go to watch TV)
There was a big spider on the wall and I Couldn’t take my eyes off it. Suddenly my cousin, who apparently is a dentist screamed at the top of her voice and pointed at a COCKROACH that was crawling on the wall right behind a portrait of our bed.

I picked up the phone , called the reception and told them about the “creepy creature in my room”, the same friendly staff came up running in minutes to rescue me. Gave me a cockroach repellent spray. HAHA!!

I went down and all the friendly staff head home “Nite nite”
All they could do is change my room . Apparently I couldn’t sleep all night so I sat up watching TV ., yeah correct those 3 awful channels.

Next morning wanted to charge my camera, and took it out of the bag & to my surprise a cockroach jumps out of the bag & crawls under the bed.
Next thing was me taking a shower, and checking out in no time.

Next time all I am going to stay is at a 5star hotel ,don’t mind spending extra bucks , but do mind wasting my time on creepy cockroaches.

Room Tip: They are still under construction!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TanoaPaihia, General Manager at Tanoa Paihia Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Your experience was unfortunate and I apologise for the discomfort you felt.
Our utmost endeavour is to ensure the comfort of our guests. We do this by ensuring our facilities are thoroughly clean and by offering an exceptional and friendly personal service.
Regretfully, occasionally and fortunately rarely, insects will get into a property and, in my experience they are not selective with respect to the star rating of a hotel.

Nevertheless, our mandatory room check prior to guest arrivals should eliminate events of this nature and I have implemented a cross check of this duty to minimise the risk of a reoccurrence.
I’m sorry that our efforts in trying to mitigate the problem at the time did not meet with your expectation.

I trust that the nil charge for the room was some compensation and, I hope we have the opportunity in the future to host you again and provide you with a happier experience.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to discuss the matter further.

gm.tph@tanoahotels.co.nz

Been to Tanoa Paihia Hotel? Share your experiences!